Exclamation GFCI directly above kitchen sink

What is the minimum distance a GFCI receptacle can be located near a sink?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: GFCI directly above kitchen sink

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    What is the minimum distance a GFCI receptacle can be located near a sink?

You posted a good photo of how close one CAN be added, I've even seen them directly behind the faucet, but I'm not sure that is really any "closer" than yours.

Receptacle outlets "are not required to be" located behind the sink. They are "allowed to be" located there.

However, you do not measure from that receptacle 4 feet to the next closest receptacle to see if the number and placement of the receptacles meets the requirements, you would still measure 2 feet (24") from the edge of the sink to the next closest receptacle on that side - which means whoever installed those receptacles may likely have spaced the other receptacles incorrectly.

THAT would be what I would look for ... are the OTHER receptacles placed where required?

On the plumbing side of it, that does not provide much of a water resistant seal along the back of the countertop at the wall.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

TT: NEC neither requires nor prohibits a receptacle in the space behind the sink. As long as it is installed above the flood rim it should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    As long as it is installed above the flood rim it should be allowed.
    A.M.: That receptacle does not even need to be installed above the flood rim of the sink, which is higher than the flood level of the countertop, which does not even matter. One is not allowed to install is face-up in the countertop is all.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    A.M.: That receptacle does not even need to be installed above the flood rim of the sink, which is higher than the flood level of the countertop, which does not even matter. One is not allowed to install is face-up in the countertop is all.
    JP: So you are advocating installation of a receptacle below the flood rim of the sink, i.e. in the sink?

No wonder I could not find a minimum distance requirement. Thanks for quick responses.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: So you are advocating installation of a receptacle below the flood rim of the sink, i.e. in the sink?

A.D.M.: Huh?

What make you think I am advocating something by saying it is allowed by code?

Jeez, you are going back off the deep end. I've seen the deep end edging your way lately, but I think you may have slipped off it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

I've seen the deep end edging your way lately, but I think you may have slipped off it.
    JP: Yessir.