Default Is this forum slowing down?

Is the forum slowing down? I noticed some threads just becoming stagnant pretty quick.

OREP Insurance

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Is this forum slowing down?

Activity is nothing at all like it used to be. This forum used to be hopping but now it's borderline comatose some days. Speaking for myself, whereas I used to post up here looking for answers and info, I now just look for it on-line and more often than not find what I need, either in a separate site or through a link to an older thread here.

I also think inspectors are less willing to share pics and stories from their inspections now because of how easy it is to look up a person's name on-line and find anything they have said or posted. From a client-confidentiality standpoint, it makes sense. Hell, I had some nameless coward on this site call the listing agent for a property of which I posted up a pic of vermiculite in the attic from my inspection. The listing agent was pissed that I said the the house has asbestos on-line and the mistake I made was that I forgot to delete the address from the title I saved the pic with. All you had to do was hover over the pic with your cursor and you could see the address of the property which was the way I saved the pic on my computer. The coward who did it knows who he is but never had the balls to say anything to me directly. Ask me if this doesn't affect my activity here.

I have plenty of stuff to share but it's just too much hassle anymore with the way the forum is set up now and I got tired of the drama from the same people. It's easier to lurk than post anymore. I now only visit this site a few times a week versus multiple times throughout the day in the past.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Activity is driven by people asking questions. Less people asking questions, less discussion. The crash of 08 drove a lot of inspectors out of business by 2010-11. By 2012-13 the market picked up and those who hung around have enough experience and expertise that they are less likely to have unanswered questions and are more likely the ones posting answers. Once the market conditions improve to the point that new people are becoming inspectors, traffic will increase.

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 12-07-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I also think inspectors are less willing to share pics and stories from their inspections now because of how easy it is to look up a person's name on-line and find anything they have said or posted. .... Hell, I had some nameless coward on this site call the listing agent for a property of which I posted up a pic of .....
    I have had the same concern.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I always suspected "W" (and I don't mean Bush) would do that.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 12-07-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I think some inspectors are reluctant to ask questions because they are afraid it will make them look like they don't know what they're doing. They're afraid that others will say, "You shouldn't be a home inspector if you have to ask that".

I think any question should be asked. It's the way we all learn.

Activity or lack thereof could be due to a number of reasons.

1. Seasonal fluctuations
    2. Posters have other activities going on within their lives
    3. Topics may not be of interest.
    4. Busy doing inspections
    5. Advertisements - The forum has a lot more advertising then previously
    6. Privacy concerns
    7. If someone has answered questions, others may not be inclined to reply (repetitive replies)
    8. Specifics of topic may not be of interest to some
    9. Retiring members
    10. People on vacation
    11. Interest in other home inspection forums
    12. Other forums experience fluctuations
    13. Lack of interest
    14. blah, blah...

So if you have nothing to talk about, you can talk about having nothing to talk about.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Hard to put a finger on why activity here has slowed down. Raymond hits on many reasons. For me, my interest here ebbs and flows. Lately, I've been posting more. I, too, burn out on the threads that devolve into personal attacks or inane one up-man-ship. I've been very busy the last two years and that affects my visits here.

A few weeks ago, I posted a question about some piping. Several years ago, there would have been many posts about that material. Now, a few posts saying they don't know.

Still, there are some worthwhile threads that have good information or discussions.

Occasionally, a client tells me that they googled my name and found some of my posts here. So, I agree with Nick, that showing some prudence here is good advice.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    They're afraid that others will say, "You shouldn't be a home inspector if you have to ask that".
    I have seen a few responses like that recently (and in the past) - to me, those responses are in poor taste.

ANY question and EVERY question should be asked.

The ONLY "stupid question" is the one NOT ASKED.

I do agree with Rick "Maybe I'm wrong, but I always suspected "W" (and I don't mean Bush) would do that." I suspect he did things like that quite frequently, even bragged about it occasionally.

And, it only makes good sense to rename your files before you post them to keep addresses out, I usually rename the files to indicate what is being shown in the photo, or just keep the file name as what the camera named it (which is usually either a date/time code, a numerical sequence, or a combination of date/time/sequence code.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I typically only post if the original question hasn't received the correct answer and I'm positive I know the correct answer. There's no sense for me to answer a question if #1 I don't know the correct answer, or #2 the correct answer has already been given.

I refrain from asking questions on this site as I've seen way too many wrong answers given out. I don't know if these incorrect answers are given out with malice or not, but they seem to be along the same lines as Nick's example where members here try to get others in trouble.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Okay Jerry and Rick who is "W"?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Without naming names, do the initials HG mean anything?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes they do now! Yeah the forum isn't the same without him.
    Thanks.

Speaking of a guy who could devolve a discussion into dripping acid insults, whatever happened to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Speaking of a guy who could devolve a discussion into dripping acid insults, whatever happened to him?
    I think maybe someone threw a bucket of water on him, and he melted.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Is the forum slowing down?
    Been this way for more than a year....just an observation, not a judgment.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Oh yea..I almost forgot about that guy..maybe he's terrorizing the guys at NACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I have had the same concern.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I always suspected "W" (and I don't mean Bush) would do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Oh yea..I almost forgot about that guy..maybe he's terrorizing the guys at NACHI

My goodness. Sounds like Harry Potter "You-Know-Who", "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" or "the Dark Lord" Lord Voldemort . I will test my fate and say "HG Watson", silence..... yep I live. And I would agree that he more than likely was the caller to the agent. Something he would have done. But in fairness the address identification was a blunder and we all learn by our mistakes. Though once the report was given to everyone it became public knowledge, generally disclosed to all and not a National Security issue.

HG fell off the forum back in February 2014 though listed still here as a forum member. I figured the complaints, to the grand Pooba about his postings is what caused the cessation of posting. Then it could have been health related or he could have been recalled by the mother ship. Who knows?

"Watson", ....and I still live , and the InterNachi forum are birds of a feather in some of their rancor in postings. Though I have not seen him there, though I don't look closely for him either, but feel he would have been conspicuous even within that forum.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I think some inspectors are reluctant to ask questions because they are afraid it will make them look like they don't know what they're doing. They're afraid that others will say, "You shouldn't be a home inspector if you have to ask that".
    Yep, count me in that group. I'm still a rank newbie after three years, and often feel incredibly intimidated by what I don't know. So yes, I hesitate to post because I've been chided in the past for things (like not taking the cover off a panel that was fastened with 1/2" bolts).

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    Yep, count me in that group. I'm still a rank newbie after three years, and often feel incredibly intimidated by what I don't know. So yes, I hesitate to post because I've been chided in the past for things (like not taking the cover off a panel that was fastened with 1/2" bolts).
    In the "HG" days, we called it being "Watsoned", today it's being "Pecked" but JP doesn't have the vitriol that W specialized in. It doesn't take too many posts here for someone to disagree. But as I start my 18th year as an inspector after 30+ years in construction, real estate, and home inspection, I still learn new things here. There are some very smart folks contributing here.......and some others.

I hesitate to post because I've been chided in the past for things (like not taking the cover off a panel that was fastened with 1/2" bolts).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    In the "HG" days, we called it being "Watsoned", today it's being "Pecked" but JP doesn't have the vitriol that W specialized in.
    I try to make sure NOT TO chide people about things or say that, as inspector they should know something (like some others have done recently here) ... I try to keep it to the positive and this is what it is and why ...

As I do make errors now and then, and I do allow myself to be sucked into the vacuum created by others now and then, but by and large I try to stay out of those frays ... until someone like HG or JA (Mr. Suspended License, did he ever get his license back?) comes along, etc.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Post what you want...this is a great place to learn. Everybody started at zero. Except JP who was prob born with a code book in his hand.

Even when it gets a little crazy, the info is still good and probably even gets better. Or at least more specific.

You think this forum is slow you should see the ASHI forum. Its really dead and has been for a long, long time.

You think this forum is slow you should see the ASHI forum. Its really dead and has been for a long, long time.
    I rarely see what is going on in the Nachi forum, but I wonder how much room there is for these kind of forums. It's not like there are millions of home inspectors. We used to have some guy from Australia, who offered a little different perspective.

It just does not have all of the BS on it and it is more of a technical forum. If you have a question I have found that you will normally have a good response in a few hours if not sooner. I think it shows folks are working and not sitting at home by their computer.

IN, has a large number of newer inspectors and others on it. My favorite forum and one I use if I have a question is TIJ.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Except JP who was prob born with a code book in his hand.
    Bedtime stories ...

"Once upon a time, according to the 1925 NEC, there was a requirement for neutral bonding to ground which said:
    - 902 Distribution Systems.
    - - c. Alternating current systems shall be grounded as provided in this article, if the maximum difference of potential between the grounded point and any other point on the circuit does not exceed 150 volts. Electric furnace circuits need not be grounded.
    - - - (what amounts to a FPN , now known as Informational Note, follows c. - "It is recommended that such systems also be grounded as provided here, if the difference of potential exceeds 150 volts but does not exceed 300 volts.)
    - - - d. On single phase alternating current systems the ground shall be made at each service on the line side of the service switch before the service is connected to the line. On multiphase alternating current systems the ground shall be as described for single phase systems if the grounded conductor of the multiphase supply system is brought to the premises for rendering service. By permission of the inspection department the grounding connection for either single phase or multiphase systems may be made on or near the transformer or transformers, or by connection to a system ground wire.
    - - - h.The grounded conductor of an interior wiring system shall have but one grounding connection within the building, except as provided in paragraph b of section 906 of this article.

Sweet dreams, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite ... goodnight."

AskCodeMan.com - Ask Codeman Building Code Q & A

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

HG was quite long winded and admit I rarely if ever had the patience to completely read his posts. I agree he had his nasty spells but also feel he was quite an intelligent man. I believe he had a terminal illness and perhaps it overcame him... I am not sure, but if that is the case; may G-D bless his soul and may he rest in peace.

He was not the only distasteful person within this forum.

Through the years from time to time I find myself "forumed out" and take leaves of absence.
    This past year (thank G-D) has been very busy and I have been traveling quite a bit. I still try to stop by the forum and if something interests me I read it and may post. I've also noticed that while IN has slowed down somewhat, so have other forums, and IN seems to still be the most active.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 12-09-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

I guess it depends what your looking for/expecting from a HI chat board.

If your looking for another HI site open to the public there is one out there that has several posts / all kinds of crap posted every few min.
    They will let you know which billy bob passed his on line quiz and is now a certified inspector

Marketing Ideas.. On that site you can get al kinds of marketing gimmicks /ideas, and daily updates on those questionable marketing ideas to get work from other honest inspectors.

If you want to wish another inspector HB that site will provide that daily

Political crap and name calling if you don't agree .. Plenty of that there

If you have any doughts how great that site is, the owner of that site brags non-stop/ apx 80% of the posts how great he is, how big he is, and how superior he is over all other associations.
    Opps I guess sometimes al you have to do is visit this site to also see that crap.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Dan, thanks! Had a good chuckle when I read your post.
    Bull baffles brains, eh?