Thread: AC SEER

Default AC SEER

Can anyone tell me the SEER rating of a Tappan condensing unit, Model# FS3BA048KA? I'm thinking 13 SEER but I don't want to be wrong.

Thanks
    Jim

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: AC SEER

James,
    I usually do not give SEER # in report as there are many things that can affect the actual output.

Tappan became SJC Corp. 1979(FrigKing Tappan) sold Janitrol line to Goodman.

Tappan name revived 1998 by Nordyne.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Lewis Capaul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Bohac View Post
    Can anyone tell me the SEER rating of a Tappan condensing unit, Model# FS3BA048KA? I'm thinking 13 SEER but I don't want to be wrong.

Thanks
    Jim
    The closet I can find is model number S3BA-048K manufactured in 98 and 99, 11 SEER, 45500 BTUH

If it is a Nordyne as Billy suggests, it was manufactured in 96', same specs, same model number, without the "F"

Lew

I would be *V-E-R-Y* cautious about stating the SEER of something.

Unless that is a package unit, a mis-match with the interior unit will change the SEER, and there you are stating it is one things, then along comes an HVAC tech who says 'not with that air handler unit, it is not that SEER', and your next phone call is from your client stating that you need to replace the AHU to attain the SEER rating you said it had.

*I* would not want to go there (and I never did).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post

Tappan name revived 1998 by Nordyne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Capaul View Post
    The closet I can find is model number S3BA-048K manufactured in 98 and 99, 11 SEER, 45500 BTUH

If it is a Nordyne as Billy suggests, it was manufactured in 96', same specs, same model number, without the "F"

Lewis
    Lewis,

Nordyne !998 on,as they bought the Tappan rights from I think from Westinghouse.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Kevin Barre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Bohac View Post

Thanks
    Jim
    James--
    You don't actually state that you are passing this info to the buyer, but if you are, I agree with Jerry. For a system to perform at the expected SEER, the components must be a "matched" set. Unless you want to contact each mfr or go to their sites and wade through their compatibility charts, I would stay away from stating SEER info in my report. I see some generic coils used with new condensing units expected to produce a 13 SEER when used with the proper evap coil. Am I going to guarantee that? No way!

FWIW, both Tappan and Frigidaire, (and Westinghouse if I remember correctly) are all Nordyne brands now. Generally used for the replacement market, but occasionally found in new construction.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Jim,

Stay as far away from stating "anything" to do with a SEER rating to a client. Unless you are a licensed HVAC technician and know all the in/outs related to such ratings you will be getting onto serious thin ice.

As noted above units have to be matched and there is a lot more than just that which goes into the SEER calculations.

The ratings are "factory - test environments" and seldom if ever does such a condition appear in actual use.

Stay safe ... stay well away from SEER rating quotations, etc.

Tell your client to contact a qualified / reputible and licensed HVAC technician to get such data.

Lewis Capaul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Lewis,

Nordyne !998 on,as they bought the Tappan rights from I think from Westinghouse.
    Billy, You're probably right but the Carrier Blue book shows Tappan's of that model number manufactured in 98' and 99', and as a Nordyne in 96'. I'm not a HVAC guy, I can only use the references available.

Lew

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Stay safe ... stay well away from SEER rating quotations, etc.
    Yep, at most ... *MOST* ... take a photo of the yellow label which is still on there (if it is) and, under the photo, say 'that yellow label states that it is a 13 SEER unit'.

That means *YOU* are *NOT* saying 'it is', *YOU* are *just reporting what the label states*.

But I would not even do that, if the yellow label was still on it, I would take my client out there and show it to them and let them read it if they were asking about it (if they were not asking about it, I would not even do that).

Mum's the word, zip it up tight.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Lewis,
    I'm saying you are right sense Nordyne could not manufacture Tappan brand prior to 1998.

I appreciate the advice about SEER. I have never reported the SEER in the past however my client was asking. Home is four years old and I did explain that units must be matched properly to achieve the listed SEER.
    Clients get fooled by the " High Efficiency " plate on the exterior of some units.

James