Marilyn Mitchell Guest

Default Dryer outlet position

What if any code requirements are there for the postioning of a 220 dryer outlet with inside wire source, near a window.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Dryer outlet position

What do you have?

Marilyn Mitchell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    What do you have?
    We have a 220volt outlet for a dryer that is on the wall within about 2" of a window. Have been told it must be at least 3' from window. The wire is an inside source. Does not come from the outside of the house. Is there a code that states the 3' requirement? Have heard from others that there is now requirement at all. Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Mitchell View Post
    We have a 220volt outlet for a dryer that is on the wall within about 2" of a window. Have been told it must be at least 3' from window. The wire is an inside source. Does not come from the outside of the house. Is there a code that states the 3' requirement? Have heard from others that there is now requirement at all. Tks.
    Having an outlet next to a window is not a Code Violation.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Have been told it must be at least 3' from window.
    Told this by whom?

A friend?

An electrician?

The city/county inspector?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Marilyn Mitchell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Told this by whom?

A friend?

An electrician?

The city/county inspector?

Written up by a House Inspector hired by the potental buyers for my house in Vt. A master electrician and the inspector I hired to inspect the house I want to buy both say this is not a code violation. As a matter of fact they both said there is no code at all that they know of. We have to prove this to the buyers of my house. Trying to get all the info I can. Tks

I would ask the inspector to cite the code where it backs up his position. It's easier to prove what the code DOES cover, than what it does not.
    Tell them you will move the outlet if they can show you where in the code that it is wrong.

BY the way, I have never heard of such a thing.

Marilyn Mitchell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I would ask the inspector to cite the code where it backs up his position. It's easier to prove what the code DOES cover, than what it does not.
    Tell them you will move the outlet if they can show you where in the code that it is wrong.

BY the way, I have never heard of such a thing.

Thanks, I suggested putting the onus back on the inspector but guess I wasn't strong enough in how I stated it to my Realtor. Will approach that again. Thanks

Written up by a House Inspector hired by the potental buyers for my house in Vt.
    We have to prove this to the buyers of my house.
    Try this: direct the home inspector to this thread on this site, if they are not already participants here, maybe they will become participants here.

We all learn from each other here, so while they are learning from us, we will also be learning things they know that we do not know. That is what is so great about this site.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Marilyn Mitchell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Try this: direct the home inspector to this thread on this site, if they are not already participants here, maybe they will become participants here.

We all learn from each other here, so while they are learning from us, we will also be learning things they know that we do not know. That is what is so great about this site.
    Thank much. The thread has been a help. I will pass it along.