Brian Harwood Guest

Default Proper Wiring for Wall A/C Unit

In a recent inspection, the attached pics show a wall A/C unit that appeared to be direct wired into the wall. I have never encountered this type of installation. Typically they are plugged into a receptacle on the wall. Questions: 1) This appears to be the plug cord which was used for the direct wiring... acceptable installation? 2) Should not the wiring be protected from damage if this method is acceptable? Thanks for your time.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Proper Wiring for Wall A/C Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harwood View Post
    In a recent inspection, the attached pics show a wall A/C unit that appeared to be direct wired into the wall. I have never encountered this type of installation. Typically they are plugged into a receptacle on the wall. Questions: 1) This appears to be the plug cord which was used for the direct wiring... acceptable installation? 2) Should not the wiring be protected from damage if this method is acceptable? Thanks for your time.
    - It is listed for cord and plug installation with the plug being the disconnect:
    - - The unit is not installed or being used in accordance with its listing (this is not allowed).
    - - The cord and plug, with the plug cut off, is not installed or being used in accordance with its listing (this is not allowed).
    - - The cord runs into or through the wall (this is not allowed).
    - - The electrical connection may be by wire nuts in the wall (this would not be allowed) or into a junction box hidden in the wall (this is not allowed either).
    - - (probably more issues with that installation, but those should make a good start as to why it needs to be replaced and the new one properly installed)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Funny I was inspecting an electricians house and he ran the cord from the built in microwave through the wall into the garage, into an extention cord and then plugged it in.

I guess ignoring the rules is just as bad as not knowing

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hester View Post
    I guess ignoring the rules is just as bad as not knowing
    Don,

Years ago in South Florida the Chief Electrical Inspector for Hollywood was retiring, selling his house, and moving to the Keys - My list of electrical items just at the service equipment and panel was huge, and had more items throughout the rest of his house.

He complained about me and that I didn't know anything and that I much remove the items from the list, I said that we should take the photos to the Chief Electrical Code Compliance Officer at the Board of Rules and Appeals (who I knew fairly well, but not as well as the Chief Electrical Inspector for Hollywood did ... but I was willing to take my chances).

The end result was that the retiring Hollywood Chief Electrical Inspector was admonished for having so many code violations, did he permit the work, and that he should have agreed with me because he knew all that I had written up was correct.

What a way to retire, tail tucked between his legs. He thought he could bully me and that Tarry (with the Board of Rules and Appeals) would back him up - but I knew that Tarry was fair and honest and if it was wrong it was wrong regardless who either person was.

It is always good to make friends of the building officials and inspectors ... and now I R One too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, That is a good story.

I had another one where I was inspecting a house for a local lineman for the PUD that was putting his home up for sale. There was violations all over the home. When he came home and I started listing off all the issues, he goes damn NEC puts way too many rules on them electricians and I could never work like that.

He actually took it okay but was shaking his head quite often. Of course 200 amp 240v is puny stuff to him.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Brian Harwood Guest

Good morning all, I appreciate the helpful information and your experiences.