Thread: check it out

Default Re: check it out

There is no home inspector licensing in Georgia. Doug Scott is listed as an ASHI ACI. http://scotthomeservices.com

There is a local association, GAHI, which strongly encourages ICC certifications for home inspectors. There was no mention of GAHI or ICC certifications on Doug's webpage. In his creditenials section he does list he is CABO certified.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Interesting! Thank you for posting it. Brick veneer inspections are probably old hat to most around here, but not to me!

And no one would comment on it in the other forum, which was also interesting. Litigation is such a pervasive fear in this industry.

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 12-11-2011 at 09:18 PM.
    Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

I just started to view these videos and I find them very interesting.
    I haven't seen them all but will look again this evening.

I see no problem with commenting on the videos or providing comments on what others say. I don't understand all the hub-bub about people's reluctance to comment for fear of liability.

I don't see it. After all this is a forum for comments and opinions. That's what we do. I can comment on anything I see or hear without regard to any details not included, or liability. Who cares. (personal slander - excluded - of course.)

It would be the person who tries to use the comments on this forum for legal purposes that would have any problems. I can't see where this forum or the people on it have any "legal or professional credibility" and any comments would not stand up or be permissible in a court of law. (IMO)

Have fun watching this stuff.!

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Very good report, interesting format. I have to stop short of saying it is a great report though. Scott makes too many assertions that are probably true, but nonetheless are assertions. He spends too much time asserting something 'is' when the reality is he can't see inside the wall and is only assuming. Granted many of us do that and its part of the deal. However, it's also important to state such assumptions as probabilities rather than perceived fact.
    He also loses credibility by some of the personal attack commentary. Believe me I have no problem calling crap work, crap. Or a known scam builder a slumlord. However his comments really are pushing it a bit.
    I also find it pretty funny that the guys on the pseudo-inspector board could only comment on liabilities. Apparently the inspection is too technical for their checkbox minds to be able to comment on.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    . Scott makes too many assertions that are probably true, but nonetheless are assertions.
    He spends too much time asserting something 'is' when the reality is he can't see .
    What You Don't use Ground Penetrating Radar on Your Spections?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 12-12-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added avatar
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

For me, the word code was used too many times for my comfort level-but that is me. My observations are two fold: First, last man in. This inspecter may or may not know everything but when I viewed the film of the builders it became evident that the builder's view would probably prevail. Last person in is who the buyers many times believe. So we, as inspectors, can do a good job and then, in this case, the builder comes in report in hand and picks apart the inspector's credibility and the ulitmate outcome is the buyer is not always well served. Second: This poor inspector may likely become a UTube spectacle because he agreed to be filmed. I, after seeing this, might be a bit nervous on a professional basis of being filmed and then allowing the world...and lawyers... see what it is I said and then have every word picked apart vowle and consonant-regardless of how good a job we do we are not perfect.

How would the rest of you feel if a home buyer wanted to film you? Would you allow it? Would you require that the buyer not publish it without your consent? Should a written report be treated any differently? Any of our reports could be published, in print or on the internet. Do we own any rights to a report we generate? Or once we sell it to a client, can they do anything they want with it? Alter it, sell it, ect. My agreement states it is nontransferable but not much else and I do send it in a PDF format. In today's age of everything being posted to the internet, should we as individual owners protect ourselves through our contrats that would restrict the dissemination of our reports and or filmed actions during an inspection? I can't help but think of the liability aspect. So many questions in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bronner View Post

How would the rest of you feel if a home buyer wanted to film you? Would you allow it? Would you require that the buyer not publish it without your consent? Should a written report be treated any differently? Any of our reports could be published, in print or on the internet. Do we own any rights to a report we generate? Or once we sell it to a client, can they do anything they want with it? Alter it, sell it, ect. My agreement states it is nontransferable but not much else and I do send it in a PDF format. In today's age of everything being posted to the internet, should we as individual owners protect ourselves through our contrats that would restrict the dissemination of our reports and or filmed actions during an inspection? I can't help but think of the liability aspect. So many questions in my mind.
    I don't think I would mind, I would hope the buyer would give me a copy. I'm sure I could use it to improve my presenation and service.
    After getting paid, I assume I sold my product and the buyer owns it.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Do we own any rights to a report we generate?
    I've looked into copyright laws a bit, and my understanding is that you do own the copyright to your reports. If you were working for an employer and part of your job was to produce reports for that company, it would be different, but here you are being paid by individuals for your expertise, written up in report form, and you should still own the copyright to it.

We also own copyright to any messages or photos posted in a forum.

The caveat is that copyrighted materials may be reproduced in limited numbers without the consent of the person who holds the copyright if they are to be used strictly for educational purposes, as long as credit is given to the author/photographer/whatever. But that still doesn't allow mass distribution over the internet.

In this case the videos belong to the people who took them, and once the HI or contractors allowed themselves to be filmed, I don't think they had control over what happened to the video unless they also specified what it could be used for.

Even if certain aspects of the HI's manner may be "uncouth," it's certainly good advertising!

If I were the homeowner, I'd go with the HI's report, regardless of whom I talked to last. I wasn't impressed by the contractors' explanations.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

I've had a few clients film the inspection. Doesn't really bother me. Of course, if being filmed one should watch what one says. As far as the report goes, I continue not to give a damn. I've provided the service and given the client what they paid for. If they want to resell, distribute or whatever the report, have at it. Once the current owner comes home with their rugrats and 80lb dog, has a weekend party or overflows the wash machine, the report is inaccurate anyway.
    I agree with Kristi as far as not being impressed with the contractors' spiel. However, a contractor does not need to be impressive to us to look good to a homeowner. I've had way too many meetings with buyers and contractors where the contractor sounded great but was completely full of it. The important factor is to provide a client with facts, i.e. Code or manufacturer data that supports your position. That way the contractor can say what he wants.
    In this case some of Scotts facts become clouded by his subjective rhetoric. Not looking to knock the guy on his inspection work at all.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I agree, interesting. More depth than what most most HI would have done.

Other site worried about making a comment due to litigation or being drawn into litigation is a bit much. But making comments would be a lengthy process to get into real detail. Though telling the poster that they should not allow the builder to blow them off in any item that they have concern about and request/demand detailed documentation from all parties involved.

I did like the builder statement about the Structural Engineer letter that might just say everything is fine with out any specifics.

Report would have been great if for personal comments. I prefer factual statements with opinion on resolution. I think people can infer bad work from the facts unless it is a real run don't walk away property no matter what is done short of a tear down and rebuild.

He did seem to rip the builder a new one in the video.
    The video of the builder had interesting video angles. Really do not think that the builder new he was being recorded. In Maryland it would be illegal. In GA probably not.

But, it was a good example of the builder doing a two step with some of his answers or lack of answer.

Would like to see the re-inspection after corrections were made.

Being recorded only would make me extra careful on my wording to make sure that there was no room for misinterpretation.

Wow, look at the difference in forums! Lots of people here willing to give their opinions. You guys rock!

I think the contractor was fully aware of being filmed, and I suspect agreed to have it shown online (though that would be nice to know)...there's nothing like free publicity!

- James Burgh, 1754.

It interesting that the buyer went to all the effort to film the inspection and then the meeting with the builder but did not bring someone that had building experience to the meeting. The buyer has someone there taking notes but neither understand building processes. Would have thought that the buyer would have brought a hired gun to the meeting. Maybe its a women's lib thing or a control issue. With the money at steak it is a penny wise and a pound foolish.

In today's economy it is best that they get all problems corrected now, builder may out of business next week (doesn't matter size or length of time in business).

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    Wow, look at the difference in forums! Lots of people here willing to give their opinions. You guys rock!

I think the contractor was fully aware of being filmed, and I suspect agreed to have it shown online (though that would be nice to know)...there's nothing like free publicity!
    Other than that these guys rock what have you learned here from a technical standpoint so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    Other than that these guys rock what have you learned here from a technical standpoint so far.
    From this thread, apart from the video? Not much that's technical, but there are other facets to HI. I also appreciate the fact that people here are willing to voice their opinions, as opposed to the ones in the other thread.

- James Burgh, 1754.

From this thread, apart from the video? Not much that's technical, but there are other facets to HI. I also appreciate the fact that people here are willing to voice their opinions, as opposed to the ones in the other thread.
    Kristi this is a retread.
    What was the question from the original poster?
    Below is the original post......

In the USA you are not allowed to video and audio record a party without their consent.
    This person seemed to want us to look at the series of videos and post comments to help in a lawsuit.

Pretty smart not to say too much and you may notice nothing in this thread is responding to anything technical either so I am not sure how there any difference in response since there was never a question to be answered.

I have read your posts and am pleased that the guys here have been accommodating and polite other than the one where someone did not realize you are not an actual Home Inspector before being set straight.

Us men are always happy to help a pleasant lady such as yourself.

Hello,

I am about to buy a home in Forsyth County, GA. I have had it inspected.

Part of the home inspection was video taped:

inspection - YouTube

The inspection report is available here:

http://www.ashtar.dk/inspection.pdf

I have also uploaded the builder's response (audio and video recordings):

Bob,
    You wrote......".....Kristi this is a retread.

In the USA you are not allowed to video and audio record a party without their consent.
    This person seemed to want us to look at the series of videos and post comments to help in a lawsuit. ......"

What is the link that would take you to the original thread you are referring to?

Ted Menelly Guest

To much to comment on.

The woman has a copy of the report and is going over it with the builder questioning the builder on items she does not have a full understanding of.

Also there is no way the builder new that he was being recorded.

This entire skit appears to be a lawsuit waiting to happen. The kind of video recording, the voice recording????? This is like when you get a call from a potential client and the first question out of their mouth is "Do you have that kind of insurance"

The absurdity that instead of having faith and trust in ones builder and working with them to investigate and repair possible concerns was thrown right out the window.

In the voice recording the client is talking of taring up the driveway to see if the soil was compacted properly because there is wash out at ther edge of the driveway.

Like I said. I could go on for a while but this entire sorry walk thru with the builder was just a case of an inspector going into way to much detail and way to much explanation of the what coulds and what fores and oh my goodness if he did not do this or that.

I go into detail in my reports but not to the extent of this fine inspector. With that much detail and the expectation of the client absobing and understanding the entire building process and then being ablke to take on a builder is absurd.

There are certain levels and inspector needs to repot/comment/assume/inform but then again there is a line that needs to be drawn.

Putting that much conjecture or assertions into a report, sitting down with the client and then unleashing that client with voice recordings and video tapes of every move logged is beyond reasonable.

This report was suppose to be the complete report. If it was there was nothing mentioned but the structural throughout the report other than insulation on the pipes (which should be insulated). What about the electric roofing, flooring, plumbing etc etcetc. This is a pre closing inspection from what I could see. It certainly was not a pre drywall inspection. A pre closing inspection should be just like any inspection of an exisiting home. No roof framing info, insulation etc etc etc.

I will add that I skimmed thru the voice recordings and report and did not read every word but I found a lot wrong with the reporting and then the presentaion. The video and audio recording of the builder???? Give me a break. All went way to far as far as I am concerned.

In case the woman is reading this that had everything recorded and thinking she is going to have something over someone else and is one step ahead and outsmarting everyone. Shame on you. All you needed was the report and then the meeting with the builder and any paper work and or letters from engineers etc. The world is not made up of scam artists, crooks and bandits around every corner. You cannot go through life thinking that way. Life is too short.

I totally agree.
    Just finished report on a remodeled flip job with much done wrong and simply tell the client to get documentation that Licensed contractors do the repairs so they each take liability for the work.

The biggest issue with developers is some of them promise to correct issues then try and drag it out well after closing.It is always best to have them fix all punch list items before closing.

Ted Menelly Guest

I totally agree.
    Just finished report on a remodeled flip job with much done wrong and simply tell the client to get documentation that Licensed contractors do the repairs so they each take liability for the work.

The biggest issue with developers is some of them promise to correct issues then try and drag it out well after closing.It is always best to have them fix all punch list items before closing.
    Yes, they do need all items repaired. In this case for the items in question some things just won't be known till some time later, if ever.

My clients are instructed to ignore the builder that says "We will be doing the pre closing walk through a week from this coming Friday. You should have your inspector come in the AM and we will do are walk through in the afternoon. . I tell them and I can get in there in a day or 2 so the builder can have plenty of time to address the issues before the final walk through and those items addressed at that time with documentation. If the clients are not satisfied then the closing gets moved to a later date unless it is minor items alrteady being worked on at the exterior or a quick change out of cabinet doors and the like.

Kristi this is a retread.

This person seemed to want us to look at the series of videos and post comments to help in a lawsuit.

Pretty smart not to say too much and you may notice nothing in this thread is responding to anything technical either so I am not sure how there any difference in response since there was never a question to be answered.

I have read your posts and am pleased that the guys here have been accommodating and polite other than the one where someone did not realize you are not an actual Home Inspector before being set straight.

Hello,

I am about to buy a home in Forsyth County, GA. I have had it inspected.

Part of the home inspection was video taped:

inspection - YouTube

The inspection report is available here:

http://www.ashtar.dk/inspection.pdf

I have also uploaded the builder's response (audio and video recordings):
    Bob,
    I am questioning the part::::

".......Below is the original post......

This person seemed to wa'nt us to look at the series of videos and post comments to help in a lawsuit. ......"

I do not see it in the OP. And where is the OP that this is a retread of?????

Some how I missed the, In the USA not allowed to video/audio record people. I thought it was a State by State thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Bob,
    I am questioning the part::::

".......Below is the original post......

This person seemed to wa'nt us to look at the series of videos and post comments to help in a lawsuit. ......"

I do not see it in the OP. And where is the OP that this is a retread of?????

Some how I missed the, In the USA not allowed to video/audio record people. I thought it was a State by State thing.
    Just to clarify this a little (from how I remember it).
    Video recording is allowed, even without consent, voice requires consent to allow others to listen.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I don't understand why people think the contractor was unaware of the recording. If she were "spying," why would she hold it up to her face the whole time (reminds me of Woody Allen's "Take the Money and Run," where he's hidden a camera in a loaf of bread, and holds it up to look through to spy at a bank)?

I also don't understand the assumption that the person who posted the stuff in the other forum was interested in a lawsuit. It seem just as likely that he simply wanted opinions about who to believe - inspector or contractor - before buying the house. That's what was stated. Until the house was purchased there would be no grounds for a lawsuit anyway.

And as far as people not posting technical opinions here, since the links were taken from a thread in a different forum, why be shy about talking about it anyway? Do you think he'll track it down to use in a lawsuit? Chances are he doesn't even know it's been done.

Bob said,

I've been very pleased as well! In fact, I've been surprised at the friendliness and goodwill shown me, and it has made me proud when I'm occassionally able to contribute some little snippet of knowledge.

Thank you very kindly! That means a lot.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Just to clarify this a little (from how I remember it). Video recording is allowed.
    Video Recording is now a Fact of Everyday Life. ( ATM, Traffic Cameras, Store Surveillance, Homeowners Cameras on the Exterior, Those Little Devices Mounted on the top of Police Patrol Cars to run your tag # , Face Recognition Software @ The Airport Oops I mean other places.

Any place deemed where You do not have a Reasonable Expectation of Privacy is Open and Fair Game.
    * a reasonable expectation would ( as of now be inside your own home with the window treatments drawn.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

I don't understand why people think the contractor was unaware of the recording. If she were "spying," why would she hold it up to her face the whole time

The angles appears to be a purse, shoulder bag, or similar.

The contractor and his "cronie" never looks at, or speaks to, the "camera". It is clearly recorded on the sly.

I can't imagine a scenario where a builder would willingly "speak" about an inspection on video.

[quote=Dom D'Agostino;184967]The angles appears to be a purse, shoulder bag, or similar.

The contractor and his "cronie" never looks at, or speaks to, the "camera". It is clearly recorded on the sly.

Nonsense! It appears that way sometimes because the filmer is at a lower level on a slope from the contractor. It's possible, too, that she's using a camera with a movable viewfinder. Or she's short. The camera is about at shoulder height compared to the other women - funny place to have a hidden camera in a purse. The contractor looks at the woman asking questions. He does look very near the camera sometimes, apparently looking at the person filming.

Otherwise, whoever is filming is awfully good at aiming her purse to get a decent shot.

I can't imagine a scenario where a builder would willingly "speak" about an inspection on video. [/quote]

Potential homeowner says they want to remember the details. As long as contractors feel they have nothing to hide, why not?

- James Burgh, 1754.

[quote=Kristi Silber;184983]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post

I can't imagine a scenario where a builder would willingly "speak" about an inspection on video. [/quote]

Potential homeowner says they want to remember the details. As long as contractors feel they have nothing to hide, why not?
    You Really Don't Know?
    * $$$ make or keep some people from being completely honest.
    ** sorry I was the one to break it to ya.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

[quote=Kristi Silber;184983]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    The angles appears to be a purse, shoulder bag, or similar.

Nonsense! It appears that way sometimes because the filmer is at a lower level on a slope from the contractor. It's possible, too, that she's using a camera with a movable viewfinder. Or she's short. The camera is about at shoulder height compared to the other women - funny place to have a hidden camera in a purse. The contractor looks at the woman asking questions. He does look very near the camera sometimes, apparently looking at the person filming.

Otherwise, whoever is filming is awfully good at aiming her purse to get a decent shot.

Lets see. If the builder already talked to the buyer, and he would have, before the , what would you call it, an interview, about the concerns in the home and she stated she was coming with a video camera and voice recorders I believe the builder would have had legal with him of some kind. Statements made out of context or commenting when there are misunderstandings could have folks owning the home costing the builder a couple hundred thousand. There would have been zooming in and out and back and forth on a constant basis to whomever was talking at the time.

Zooming into the pipes not wrapped. Zooming into the minute crack between the steel and the bottom of the brick which I felt was nothing more than and expansion and contraction crack between the mortar and steel which does happen.

Many on here and elsewhere can tare this apart in many directions as to what should have or should not have or what this person should have said or not said. What do you think a couple of stuttered remarks from a builder could be taken advantage of from a lake sinker.. It was so steady because it was not held out in hand and tucked in snuggly somewhere and the zoom could not be gotten to with out the rest of the folks noticing. One time the camera was pointing nowhere but the ground and then realized and lifted back into place from where ever it was being held.etc etc etc etc . And a whole lot more etc.

As far as the "Filmer" being at a lower level????? what was that you said? Nonsense? The "Filmer" was right beside the buyer and note taker at all times. When they looked at the side of the other home you could clearly see that the "Filmer" was up on a slope with the builder and the buyer.

Anyway, I will state this. I could be absolutely wrong about everything, but hey. It is not "nonsense."

It is just my opinion.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. This is one topic that's really not worth debating. I'm sorry I got sucked into it, I'll have to watch that.

- James Burgh, 1754.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. This is one topic that's really not worth debating. I'm sorry I got sucked into it, I'll have to watch that.
    Congratulations. Learned something new for the day. You will get better at hearing the sucking sound.

Often we will digress and redirect the topic, something like a water cooler conversation. No real significant value at times. We also , due to the nature of HI to look at minute detail or things that just look a little odd. Nature of the beast.

Ted picked up on what I was seeing.

If this was an advertising attempt you would hear company name every 10 seconds.

Interesting how few responses were made on the interNACHI message board as compared to InspectionNews board.

The InspectionNews board must be just wild, and crazy guys. (Steve Martin). Who like to walk the edge. Throwing caution to the to the wind. Dam the litigation full speed ahead.

Went to the other site to see if the OP had any feed back, none.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Interesting how few responses were made on the interNACHI message board as compared to InspectionNews board.

The InspectionNews board must be just wild, and crazy guys. (Steve Martin). Who like to walk the edge. Throwing caution to the to the wind. Dam the litigation full speed ahead.

Went to the other site to see if the OP had any feed back, none.
    With sufficient knowledge, ones does not need to continually be afraid of litigation, in fact, with sufficient knowledge, litigation can become your friend.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Often we will digress and redirect the topic, something like a water cooler conversation. No real significant value at times. We also , due to the nature of HI to look at minute detail or things that just look a little odd. Nature of the beast.

I don't mind digressions, and don't care if others want to argue about whether the film was made without the contractor knowing about it. It's just not something I want to invest a lot of time in personally.

As far as examining technical or other aspects of being an HI in minute detail, I'm all for that and it's in my nature to do so, too. That it's accepted here is one reason I like the forum...and one reason I think I'd be good at HI. I have a scientific mind and a Master's degree in science; I was born to learn and analyze.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Ted Menelly Guest

I don't mind digressions, and don't care if others want to argue about whether the film was made without the contractor knowing about it. It's just not something I want to invest a lot of time in personally.

As far as examining technical or other aspects of being an HI in minute detail, I'm all for that and it's in my nature to do so, too. That it's accepted here is one reason I like the forum...and one reason I think I'd be good at HI. I have a scientific mind and a Master's degree in science; I was born to learn and analyze.
    With out knowing all the ins and outs the camera and angle (not just the camera angle) were the things to comment on in this original post along with what the report mentioned and how it was mentioned and reported. The camera was a huge part of the entire skit. I say skit because it sure did look like one of those "I got you" skits.

Anyway, a Masters in science. You should put that to use in a big way. Home inspection or insurance inspection can never accomplish the things you can with a masters in science.

Oh yeah, I just wanted to mention that, no one was arguing about anything. You were the one that called someones opinion "nonsense".

Just saying

Oh yeah, I just wanted to mention that, no one was arguing about anything. You were the one that called someones opinion "nonsense".

Well, I was arguing! You're right that it was uncalled for to call another's opinion nonsense. I'm suitably chastized.

Yeah, well, my Master's is in ecology and evolution, and there aren't a lot of jobs for ecologists in urban areas. Nearly got my PhD, but didn't finish my thesis because of severe depression, otherwise I could get a university job. So, here I am. I miss it, though. I miss building, too. That ended when I sprained my back, and now the economy has hit my uncle, too. No doubt you would have powered right through a mere sprained back, Ted!

(Geez, I feel like I'm talking about myself all the time. Hope I'm not putting people to sleep.)

- James Burgh, 1754.

Well, I was arguing! You're right that it was uncalled for to call another's opinion nonsense. I'm suitably chastized.

Yeah, well, my Master's is in ecology and evolution, and there aren't a lot of jobs for ecologists in urban areas. Nearly got my PhD, but didn't finish my thesis because of severe depression, otherwise I could get a university job. So, here I am. I miss it, though. I miss building, too. That ended when I sprained my back, and now the economy has hit my uncle, too. No doubt you would have powered right through a mere sprained back, Ted!

(Geez, I feel like I'm talking about myself all the time. Hope I'm not putting people to sleep.)
    Cleanses your soul to talk about it.
    People like you here, but like every group there are always those that put everything down.
    I find it best to just say what I am thinking and naysayers be damned.