Thread: website ethics

Default website ethics

I discovered my business name in the "keywords" list on a competitor's website. I'm not a website whiz, but I think this means that someone searching for my website might actually discover my competitor's instead.
    Is this unethical? Illegal (I doubt it)? Normal?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: website ethics

Why would it not be illegal????

No matter how you want to look at it the keywords are advertising to the spiders. To be benefiting off of your good name with out your permission to advertise your name ????? to get him business is wrong.

Someone else had a thread like this recently.

I would call your competitor and politely ask him to remove your name from his website (source code) same thing.

You can do it differently with reciprocal links but that is silly if he is your competition in the same work area.

Heck, post his website address and let everyone take a shot! This could be some cheap entertainment!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Heck, post his website address and let everyone take a shot! This could be some cheap entertainment!
    I'm thinking about it. In the meantime I've notified a couple of friends whose business names are also on the keyword list.

By the way, the reason I stumbled across this is because someone on this board suggested the book Search Engine Optimization for Dummies, which I bought, and which suggests looking at competitor's websites for keyword ideas.

Don't feel bad, I have noticed a couple of inspectors have taken my long used quote and put it on their websites.

The value of experience is not in seeing much,
    but in seeing wisely.
    - Sir William Osler 1905

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Don't feel bad, I have noticed a couple of inspectors have taken my long used quote and put it on their websites.

The value of experience is not in seeing much,
    but in seeing wisely.
    - Sir William Osler 1905

Thanks, I'll start using that tomorrow After all, what are fellow inspectors for.

I've since discovered that the website keyword list is different depending on which browser is used. I don't understand that at all, but then I'm no internet/computer expert neither.
    When using Internet Explorer, there are fewer business names in the keyword list than when using FireFox. Mine doesn't appear on IE. Strange.

John;
    What is your business name? is it common usage wording? If so, you don't have copyright.
    Just like Raymond thinks that his quote "inspectors have taken my long used quote and put it on their websites."

Is, in reality, not his at all. Just ask William Osler.

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Quote Originally Posted by Victor DaGraca View Post
    John;
    What is your business name? is it common usage wording? If so, you don't have copyright.
    Just like Raymond thinks that his quote "inspectors have taken my long used quote and put it on their websites."

Is, in reality, not his at all. Just ask William Osler.
    Victor - I put a lot of thought into my business name, so don't laugh. It's "Arnold Home Inspections". Hey - it starts with an "A"!

Anyway, there are about half a dozen inspection company's names in this guy's keyword list, including some national franchises, such as House Master. Anyway, I'm not claiming copyright. I'm claiming it's sleazy and unethical.

Gotcha...
    So, this guys thinking was:
    If someone does a google search for Arnold HI or HouseMaster or ABC HI or... whatever, his website will come up in the search because those names are in his "keyword" line.

Ok .. I agree... not ethical. However ....

How many people are actually going to google search for a HI using the company name?
    Generally they'll do a search using something like "home inspections in philladelphia"

He really didn't think it through and wasted valuable keyword space.

He might also have gone on the premise that "it is easier to ask for forgiveness that permission"
    If you contact him, he'll probably take it off of there.

There are a couple of web sites that I'd love to hack into and have a "go" at 'em.

www.Home2Spec.com

Its too bad many inspectors don't have any originality and have to lift material, but when you look at their websites they are also offering the Moon. Why be original when its easier to copy someone elses work whether copyrighted or not?

Richard Moore Guest

Just playing Devil's advocate a bit John, but is it possible that he's just adverstising the fact that he does home inspections in Arnold, PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Its too bad many inspectors don't have any originality and have to lift material,
    Hey! *I* "lifted" a lot of material from someone's website because I respect him and liked his web site.

I started with that "lifted" material and format, change the material to fit me instead of him and his material, then changed the format a little bit (I changed the format even more, but did not like it, so I went back to the basic original format with my changes).

Imitation *IS* the sincerest form of flattery.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ya gotta file off those serial numbers though......

www.Home2Spec.com

Well we all know where standardized templates for websites can be found.... Membership has its privileges alright! ....or experience is not in seeing much but in having an original website - William Osler.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor DaGraca View Post
    Ya gotta file off those serial numbers though......
    Of course!

I removed all traces of the original person so as to not tie him to my inferior website.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    Just playing Devil's advocate a bit John, but is it possible that he's just adverstising the fact that he does home inspections in Arnold, PA?
    Richard - Nice try, but Arnold, PA is way out by Pittsburgh, many hours from here and even further from NJ which is where the offending guy lives.

If you do a google search on "philadelphia home inspection", the guy has just about every company that appears on the first results page on his keyword list.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

John, does this leach by any chance have my company name in his keyword list?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Nick - Check your email and call me if you don't see anything.

David Banks Guest

He would never screw with Batman

I'm on his keyword list and I'm pissed! What a %#$&in' leach!!! It's obvious this guy doesn't know how to go about getting his website going the right way so he's taking ethical shortcuts. I was going to wait to call him until tomorrow but I'm calling him now.

I have no problem posting up this blood sucker's site (http://inspectionsbysafehaven.com/Home.htm).

I have no problem posting up this blood sucker's site (http://inspectionsbysafehaven.com/Home.htm).
    Got the parenthesis too close to the url, methinks.

Safe Haven Home Inspections LLC

Richard Moore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Richard - Nice try, but Arnold, PA is way out by Pittsburgh, many hours from here and even further from NJ which is where the offending guy lives.

If you do a google search on "philadelphia home inspection", the guy has just about every company that appears on the first results page on his keyword list.
    Sorry, my PA geography isn't very good. Now that I've seen the list...well, definitely on the "sleazy" side.

Here's the list for anyone interested...
    <meta name="keywords" content="accuracy inspections, arnold home inspections, Fidelity Home Inspectors, home inspection, home inspection new jersey, home inspection philadelphia, House Check, House Master, Inspectorocity inspectors, new jersey, nj home inspection, pa home inspection, Pennsylvania Home Inspection Companies, philadelphia, Philadelphia Home Inspect, philly hoime inspection, prudential fox and roach, safe and sound inspection, safe haven , safe haven home inspection, SHANER, Shaner Home Inspections, sherlock homes inspection, Strong Foundations Home Inspections - PA Home Inspection ..., target home inspection, us inspect, value guard, value home inspections" />
    I see at least a couple of franchises in that list. Housemaster, for instance, is a registered trademark. I don't know what the actual laws are in this situation but I doubt their lawyers would be happy about it.

Also..."prudential fox and roach" is a real estate brokerage! That's odd, to put it nicely!

Sounds like Nick might have torn the guy a new anal orifice by now???

The guy is not the only one around doing this.

Found one with my company name in his keywords.

Home | 1-877-INSPECT - Kentucky Licensed Home Inspectors

<meta name="keywords" content="ashland,b4uclose,berea,building,carlisle, central kentucky,certified,commercial property assessments,cynthiana,danville,flemingsburg,frankf ort,georgetown,guaranteed,harrodsburg,home inspections,home inspector,house,inspection,kentucky certified environmental inspector ** http://www.inspectorusa.com,ky,lawre...ld,morehead,mt. sterling,nicholasville,northern kentucky,paris,phase i environmental,pruitt,real estate,richmond,termite,usda" />

Wonder how many others are pulling this crap?

Last edited by Erby Crofutt; 07-28-2008 at 04:21 AM.
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

I called him last night and left a message. His voice mail message doesn't even state that you've reached Safe Haven Home Inspections. It just says we're not here, leave a message. You'd never even know if you actually called a home inspection company. I e-mailed him too.

I'm checking his site every day and calling him every day until my company name no longer appears.

I just tried checking the site and it comes up as being temporarily unavailable.

I just tried checking the site and it comes up as being temporarily unavailable.
    Nick, Erby,

That leads to something I was going to suggest earlier: go to ( WHOIS Search provides domain registration information from Network Solutions ) and look up his contacts:

Registrant:Make this info private Green, David 4223 Old Sand Rd. Owingsville, KY 40360 US
    Domain Name: INSPECTKY.COM
    Promote your business to millions of viewers for only $1 a month!
    Learn how you can get an Enhanced Business Listing here for your domain name.
    Learn More
    Administrative Contact , Technical Contact : Green, David iusa@bellsouth.net 4223 Old Sand Rd. Owingsville, KY 40360 US Phone: 859 420-4872 Fax: 800-886-8022
    Record expires on 23-Dec-2008 Renew this domain
    Record created on 23-Dec-2005
    Database last updated on 17-Dec-2007
    Domain servers in listed order:Manage DNS
    (for some reason the domain servers did not copy and paste over here)

Current Registrar:NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
    IP Address:209.210.239.14 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
    IP Location:US(UNITED STATES)-ILLINOIS-MUNDELEIN
    Record Type:Domain Name
    Server Type:Apache
    Lock Status:clientTransferProhibited
    Web Site Status:Active
    DMOZ no listings
    Y! Directory: see listings
    Secure:No
    E-commerce:No
    Traffic Ranking:1
    Data as of:14-Jun-2005

Then contact the domain servers and the registrar, in this case Network Solutions (1-800-333-7680) and tell them what is going on.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    ...<meta name="keywords" content="Jerry Peck, ashland,b4uclose,berea,Jerry Peck, building,carlisle,central kentucky,certified Jerry Peck, certified,commercial property assessments, commercial Jerry Peck... />
    Erby, When I look at that one I see some other names...

Oh, I know who he is. He's on the state's Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors.

Unfortunately, his e-mail is down right now:

Recipient: <iusa@bellsouth.net>
    Reason: [SUSPEND] Mailbox currently suspended - Please contact correspondent directly

My guess is that he doesn't even know about it. It's my understanding that he hired someone to develop his site for him. That's most likely where the sleaze comes in.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Well this guy's website is back on-line and nothing has changed in his keyword list. I called House Master first to let them know somebody was using their name. Next I called the inspection company and gave the inspector/owner an earful of crap when I got him on the phone. He said he would get the site changed after he speaks with his webpage guy this week. We'll see about that.

House Master may be the next company calling him and I think they should be able to light a fire under his @$$ if my call to him didn't.

John and Nick,

Google has 65&#37; of the search traffic and they no longer put much weight on keywords so don't spend too much time worrying about this guy. If the content does not support the key words they are largely discarded. If the guy had any web smarts he would figure out the words that a client would use to find a South Jersey inspector.

As you know West Berlin is a hike from central Phila and why he would cross the bridge for an inspection defies logic. If he is crossing the bridge get some Guidos to kneecap him.

Now head for the shore and enjoy the a little vacation,

//Rick

Last edited by Rick Bunzel; 08-08-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956