Thread: S (ish) trap?

Default S (ish) trap?

Looks S-ish to me.. its close.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: S (ish) trap?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Looks S-ish to me.. its close.
    Not close
    Without a vent it is an S-Trap.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Many mobile homes I see have mechanical vents, or even wet vents, scattered throughout the home, including under the tub skirt.

..........some manufacturers stub the drains from various sinks through the belly, to then be piped under the home. It saves a couple bucks per unit at the factory and pushes it on to the installer. I've not seen any that require traps to be added - this sure would be a disaster for a cold-weather site. Are you sure this trap was even needed in this instance?.......Greg

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Yes that is an S trap, the outlet despite offset is considered vertical. No bend nor cleanout for transition to horizontal. Furthermore the S trap and branch appears unservicable as well.

Appears to be replacement/repair, note lack of dust, and new labels.

Suspect incorrect amature re-work following broken closet flange or bend of wet stack from bathroom group.

Plumbing rework sewer not consistant slope, support irregular (crowned at fitting), fitting on back, fitting appears to be a vent tee, not sanitary.

Connections appear to be "gooped" not abs cemented.

P.S. what is the pvc/cpvc system along the ground and through skirting...irrigation? Yard spigot?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-23-2013 at 07:38 AM.

copy that..

Joe Funderburk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Furthermore the S trap and branch appears unservicable as well.
    What requires a trap to be "serviceable"?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Funderburk View Post
    What requires a trap to be "serviceable"?

If it is removable, or has a cleanout (see pic) on it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

...........a broken closet flange would possibly require a repair that would need a trap under the house?? I'd still like to know what that line is servicing, as I can't see the need for a trap. The fact that I see ABS stubbed thru the belly makes me think it's factory work & the installer simply didn'tknow what he was doing. Could the OP enlighten us with a few more details? It would be good to report that it is, indeed, a running trap - it would be alot better to determine (and report) if the trap were not needed at all

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    ...........a broken closet flange would possibly require a repair that would need a trap under the house??
    ?
    Closet (toilet) drain lines do not have traps.
    Toilets have a built in trap.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    ?
    Closet (toilet) drain lines do not have traps.
    Toilets have a built in trap.
    ............my point exactly. Trying to figure out what the esteemed Watson is talking about

... Trying to figure out what the esteemed Watson is talking about
    I see now, you were referring to Watson's post.
    I did not read his post ( mostly I just skim his post, if anything)

If you do (figure it out) let us all know.
    On second thought, I don't think I want to know that much about it.

Joe Funderburk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kleisch View Post
    If it is removable, or has a cleanout (see pic) on it.
    Ah...my bad. I didn't think it was a slip trap, but it does appear to be so in hindsight.

Dennis Webber Guest

..........some manufacturers stub the drains from various sinks through the belly, to then be piped under the home. It saves a couple bucks per unit at the factory and pushes it on to the installer. I've not seen any that require traps to be added - this sure would be a disaster for a cold-weather site. Are you sure this trap was even needed in this instance?.......Greg
    I don't agree that it's a need to save money, almost always it's due to the obstruction of the chassis I-beams and the inability to connect to the main drain through a 2x6 cavity. What would be normal in the plant would be the trap inside the floor (above the insulation for freezing protection) running over to a san-tee, with a 1-1/2" vent on top and a 2" drop stubbed through the floor for the field connection to the drain system. (Even when stubbed, manufacturers are still required to show a fully completed drain system on their plans for each individual home. This would never get approved by any Design Review agency).

As for the trap arm, it violates 24 CFR, Parts 3280.606(a)(5) - traps being set true to its seal, 3280.606(a)(9)(i) - grade of trap arm exceeds the diameter of the pipe, 3280.606(a)(5)(iv) - removability of traps, 3280.603(b)(2) - exposed piping, 3280.603(b)(3) - road damage, 3280.603(b)(4) - freezing & 3280.611(a) - venting, general (lack thereof). As the trap arm is sloped at a 45° angle, and the HUD code regards 45° to be vertical, there's no doubt that this is a "S" trap; and will probably siphon the shower it serves.

There's also no question that this is aftermarket as manufacturers buy fittings in bulk and don't have paper labels on them. Also the repair tape leads me to believe that someone had to cut into the belly to make install the plumbing.

Tim Quick Guest

Way to much debate on this one guys in my opinion. Doesnt matter what you decide to call this installation. It needs a vent. Mechanical is better than nothing. Looks like owner added a fixture above (shower or utility sink) drain is 2" and a 2" trap can be cleaned from the drain outlet if need be. This trap has a union if it would need to be disconnected. The drain connection IS a combo so that is fine and to code specs. Installation would be improved by extending the verticle pipe of the fixture longer to remove the andle of drain piping (however the angle is acceptable) by lowering the outlet side of the trap and going to a more "horizontal" pitch the owner would then have the ability to install a mechanical vent. If in fact the drain is in a location that would freeze then something would have to be done regarding that but otherwise it is fine.