Default receptacle near AC condenser

Isn't a receptacle outlet required near the AC condenser? New construction today had GFCI receps front and rear, but none on the side where the condenser is.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: receptacle near AC condenser

Hello John,

Was the receptacle in the front or rear within 25 feet of the a/c ? If yes, no additional receptacle required.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    Hello John,

Was the receptacle in the front or rear within 25 feet of the a/c ? If yes, no additional receptacle required.

Corey
    The front, definitely not. The rear, I don't think so. Is this in the IRC?
    Thanks.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    The front, definitely not. The rear, I don't think so. Is this in the IRC?
    Thanks.
    Yes.

In the 2009 IRC you are referred to Chapter 39 in the applicable portions of Chapter 14.

Specifically, it is found at 3901.11, the subsection is entitled "HVAC Outlet" and reads as follows:

E3901.11 HVAC outlet. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 25 feet (7620 mm) of the heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the HVAC equipment disconnecting means.

Exception: A receptacle outlet shall not be required for the servicing of evaporative coolers.
    You can link directly to that subsection (and a on-line free access) by clicking here (scroll down to the bottom of the page): Chapter 39 - Power and Lighting Distribution

Note, the requirement is to an "accessible" location, NOT "readily accessible" (or accessible, readily). This means it may be behind an access panel, a hidden slot, etc. and may require a tool to access, a key to access, and/or "special knowledge". Although oftentimes found in the panel which also contains the disconnect for the appliance (but separately powered/supplied), and at or near waist height; it (the receptacle appropriately located for use when appliance is being serviced) can be up to 6'6" above grade or outdoor level surface and does not have "in sight of"/lockout/control requirements, nor "readily accessible" requirements as the disconnect itself (for the appliance) does.

2009 IRC Definitions (R202):
    ACCESSIBLE. Signifies access that requires the removal of an access panel or similar removable obstruction.
    See also:

E3901.7 Outdoor outlets. At least one receptacle outlet that is accessible while standing at grade level and located not more than 6 feet, 6 inches (1981 mm) above grade, shall be installed outdoors at the front and back of each dwelling unit having direct access to grade. Balconies, decks, and porches that are accessible from inside of the dwelling unit and that have a usable area of 20 square feet (1.86 m2) or greater shall have at least one receptacle outlet installed within the perimeter of the balcony, deck, or porch. The receptacle shall be located not more than 6 feet, 6 inches (1981 mm) above the balcony, deck, or porch surface.

It is similarly covered in the applicable chapters of earlier and later editions of the IRC. Similar requirements are found in the NEC.

HTH.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-31-2012 at 09:13 PM.

We are a little slow, have not adopted the 2011 NEC, and still working under the 2008 NEC but 210.63 requires an outlet within 25 feet and on the same level as the unit, not sure if this changed in the 2011 edition.

Keep in mind, if there is a door to an outlet inside that is within 25 feet I would give it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Yes.

In the 2009 IRC you are referred to Chapter 39...
    Thanks!

"Requirement" or not, I wouldn't comment on it. Just too many other things that can come up to draw attention to.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    "Requirement" or not, I wouldn't comment on it. Just too many other things that can come up to draw attention to.
    I never comment on it in my typical inspections of 60-100+ year old homes. But when it's new construction, that's different.