Default How does this fuse panel work?

I am, admittedly, a bit weak on fuse panels. Can someone can explain how this panel configuration works? The fuse company appears to be General. I see the top block is the main disconnect. I didn't remove the block because the home was occupied, but it appears to be 100 amps. There is a distribution breaker panel to the left of this main panel for the AC and dryer, but I'm not sure how many amps are going into this panel. I will be calling the fuse panel as outdated and note that some insurance companies may be willing to cover the home unless it is replaced/upgraded, as well as missing labels.

Any other help or info would be appreciated!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: How does this fuse panel work?

Quote Originally Posted by John Chung View Post
    I am, admittedly, a bit weak on fuse panels. Can someone can explain how this panel configuration works? The fuse company appears to be General. I see the top block is the main disconnect. I didn't remove the block because the home was occupied, but it appears to be 100 amps. There is a distribution breaker panel to the left of this main panel for the AC and dryer, but I'm not sure how many amps are going into this panel. I will be calling the fuse panel as outdated and note that some insurance companies may be willing to cover the home unless it is replaced/upgraded, as well as missing labels.

Any other help or info would be appreciated!

It looks like 100 amp cartridge fuses for main disconnects. 120-volt and two 60 ampere or less 240-volt circuits below. The circuit breaker panel is a feeder, but I could not see where they connected the feeders.

I could be wrong and think I was once or twice, but it looks like the AC breaker panel is fed by a red on the left and a black on the right, pic 4, stranded copper #10 or 8, directly off the bus bars. So I don't think they are fused by any other than the 100 amp main fuses.

It is an antiquated system no longer adequate for modern loads and should be replaced with a new service breaker panel.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Thank you John and Mark for your prompt help! It's always nice to get reassurance and input from this community.

I'm pretty good with electrical but will admit I'm weak on fuse panel knowledge as well. Basically, I've never taken much time to learn since I write up every fuse system as antiquated and in need of replacement. Many (most now?) homeowner's insurance companies won't insure them which is reason enough to recommend replacement as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not good with history either but I think the last time a fuse panel was installed Eisenhower was president. That's old enough for me to say it's served it's purpose and is due for replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I'm pretty good with electrical but will admit I'm weak on fuse panel knowledge as well. Basically, I've never taken much time to learn since I write up every fuse system as antiquated and in need of replacement. Many (most now?) homeowner's insurance companies won't insure them which is reason enough to recommend replacement as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not good with history either but I think the last time a fuse panel was installed Eisenhower was president. That's old enough for me to say it's served it's purpose and is due for replacement.
    In this industry I seem to come across a lot of pretense, so I appreciate your honesty and candidness!

Generally fuse panel provides instruction about uses. Some fuse box is a metal type box that consists of fuses that regulate and control electrical currents throughout a home or building structure and some fuse panel or circuit breaker boxes are located outside of the home, such as within the garage area. It is also important to determine whether the panel box is a fuse box or circuit panel box. If there are switches that can be flipped up or down, you have a circuit breaker box.

Thank you..
    Epackpolymers.com

john,
    Here are some picts of what you are looking at if you were to pull out the block.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images