Default Polyurethane Foam Roof

On a roof that covered with polyurethane foam and elastomeric coating, which product provides the actual water protection, the poly or elastomeric?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Polyurethane Foam Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wingo View Post
    On a roof that covered with polyurethane foam and elastomeric coating, which product provides the actual water protection, the poly or elastomeric?
    Elastomeric (thick paint) is the waterproof covering.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jack,

What kind of roof was that applied to?

Chances are: a) it was not allowed to be applied to the roof; b) the foam was improperly applied; c) the top coating was improperly applied; d) the foam was applied too thin; e) the foam was allowed to get burned (from UV) between layers; f) the top coating was not applied in proper thicknesses; g) the top coating does not have the proper number of layers.

What was the foam applied to/on top of?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Jack,

What kind of roof was that applied to?

Chances are: a) it was not allowed to be applied to the roof; b) the foam was improperly applied; c) the top coating was improperly applied; d) the foam was applied too thin; e) the foam was allowed to get burned (from UV) between layers; f) the top coating was not applied in proper thicknesses; g) the top coating does not have the proper number of layers.

What was the foam applied to/on top of?
    Jerry,
    Was asking for general information and future inspections. Usually, I see this on flat roofs with wood or concrete substrate. Not sure how to determine the a) thru g) issues. Occasionally, I will see this on a flat roof with parapet walls. Never seen a foamed roof with proper drainage.
    Thanks for the feed back.
    Jack

Jerry,
    Was asking for general information and future inspections. Usually, I see this on flat roofs with wood or concrete substrate. Not sure how to determine the a) thru g) issues. Occasionally, I will see this on a flat roof with parapet walls. Never seen a foamed roof with proper drainage.
    Thanks for the feed back.
    Jack
    I asked because I have seen that foam applied to shingle roofs (over the singles), to metal pan roofs over patios, over built-up roofs (over gravel and over single ply). Seems like I have seen them applied to where they should not have been applied more often than where they were allowed to have been applied when I did home inspections.

As I recall, I have only seen one ... ONE ... installed properly out of all of them that I have seen.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com