Default Multiple inspections on same house???

I did a previous inspection on a house for an investor(flipper). I have now been hired by the potential buyer to inspect the home after it has been slapped with a pretty stick. I have a couple of questions as I have never been in this position before. During the previous inspection it was noted that there were moisture stains and damaged ceilings in the basement below the main floor bathroom. The stains tested dry with a moisture meter but the house was also vacant for some time. The ceilings have since been repaired but I don't believe the cause was ever known or repaired. I want to let the new buyers know of this condition and recommend monitoring. Can I put this previous condition in the new report even though there is no evidence of such conditions?
    The detached garage was previously inspected but was locked at the time of the recent inspection. I would report that the garage was locked and could not be inspected but can I report the known conditions from the previous inspection? The slab has a major crack with displacement. One side of the garage has settled. I know the condition has not been repaired because the crack in the slab can be seen from the exterior. Also, does anyone know if I can use photos from the previous inspection?
    I was quite appalled by the work of the previous client. The house although it looks better is actually in worse condition than before. He clearly is not using professionals to perform the work and has no clue himself. Every receptacle in the house except for two is wired incorrect. They were correct before. Ungrounded outlets at the exterior and kitchen haven't been corrected, 3 way light switches are now wired incorrect. I know the previous client would be upset if he new I disclosed the previous conditions. This guy is making a 70K profit for replacing some light fixtures, installing carpet and tile and painting. He never touched the double tapped breakers at the Zinsco panel or even bothered to ground it. I'm not upset that he's making a profit but he is doing it at the expense of other peoples wallets and safety. He clearly knows the safety hazards are there because I spelled it out for him. Whats worse is that he is performing seminars to teach others how they too can take advantage of a poor system and make a killing. I don't know why anyone would build a new house now. if you stick to the old ones, you don't have to follow any rules and no permits are necessary. Only the home inspector stands in your way and we all know that many HI out there would find nothing wrong with the home to ensure they continue to receive referrals from the agent. I have mixed emotions about it but overall I do not not support what he is doing.

If nothing else this is good discussion material so what say you? Don't forget to answer the questions though.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Multiple inspections on same house???

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anglin View Post
    I did a previous inspection on a house for an investor(flipper). I have now been hired by the potential buyer to inspect the home after it has been slapped with a pretty stick. I have a couple of questions as I have never been in this position before. During the previous inspection it was noted that there were moisture stains and damaged ceilings in the basement below the main floor bathroom. The stains tested dry with a moisture meter but the house was also vacant for some time. The ceilings have since been repaired but I don't believe the cause was ever known or repaired. I want to let the new buyers know of this condition and recommend monitoring. Can I put this previous condition in the new report even though there is no evidence of such conditions?
    The detached garage was previously inspected but was locked at the time of the recent inspection. I would report that the garage was locked and could not be inspected but can I report the known conditions from the previous inspection? The slab has a major crack with displacement. One side of the garage has settled. I know the condition has not been repaired because the crack in the slab can be seen from the exterior. Also, does anyone know if I can use photos from the previous inspection?
    I was quite appalled by the work of the previous client. The house although it looks better is actually in worse condition than before. He clearly is not using professionals to perform the work and has no clue himself. Every receptacle in the house except for two is wired incorrect. They were correct before. Ungrounded outlets at the exterior and kitchen haven't been corrected, 3 way light switches are now wired incorrect. I know the previous client would be upset if he new I disclosed the previous conditions. This guy is making a 70K profit for replacing some light fixtures, installing carpet and tile and painting. He never touched the double tapped breakers at the Zinsco panel or even bothered to ground it. I'm not upset that he's making a profit but he is doing it at the expense of other peoples wallets and safety. He clearly knows the safety hazards are there because I spelled it out for him. Whats worse is that he is performing seminars to teach others how they too can take advantage of a poor system and make a killing. I don't know why anyone would build a new house now. if you stick to the old ones, you don't have to follow any rules and no permits are necessary. Only the home inspector stands in your way and we all know that many HI out there would find nothing wrong with the home to ensure they continue to receive referrals from the agent. I have mixed emotions about it but overall I do not not support what he is doing.

If nothing else this is good discussion material so what say you? Don't forget to answer the questions though.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    You are in a licensed state that will not allow you to share the report from a previous inspection, but you can and should tell your new client that you have previously inspected this home. If it was me I would communicate to my new client that the home had water damage at X location and on and on and on. I would then try my darnedest to get that bathroom to leak again. And to see if I could detect any moisture with my meter.

I would note every single item that is wrong or that has been repaired and it is still wrong. I would also note that any repairs that I know of and let my client know that they might look fine now and my moisture meter did not detect anything............ You can fill in the blanks....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I would not hesitate to tell my new clients that I inspected this house before. I would explain as well that the info from the first inspection is confidential, and no, I would not use the old pictures.
    Then I would go over the place with a microscope and report as much of the bad as I could find.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Coming in after repairs is always nerve wracking. I look as hard as I can and disclaim more than in a standard inspection.

In CA, the home inspection is representative of the day of the inspection. Therefore, you really cannot use photos from the previous inspection. This does not prevent you from using your memory and knowledge of the house to provide the information.

As Scott & John have said, let them know that you already inspected it and there were numerous problems. If Scott is correct, and you cannot share the report, They can certainly contact whomever has the previous report and request a copy. Once again, in CA, disclosure is required and that report is generally considered disclosure.

As for the crack at the garage, note it and recommend the interior of the garage be inspected for further damage to the slab.

The other slipshod repair work should be noted as of poor quality and done by individuals who were not competent. Report what you see and recommend they have corrections performed by licensed and qualified contractors and get documentation from the contractor who performed the repairs.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Thanks for all of your help. I had to revisit the property to get photos but I feel confident that the report is completed the way it should be.