roof1_canada Guest

Default Whirly-Bird Alternative?

Anyone know of an alternative to the standard aluminum whirly bird? There's a problem with vandals and these things seem too inviting to break. I'm hoping there's something that can replace them that is sturdier and less obvious.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Whirly-Bird Alternative?

I'm guessing you are talking about what I call a wind turbine for attic ventilation.
    Static vents or ridge vents would be the alternatives, just need to do the calculations to ensure installing the proper sizes.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Smile Re: Whirly-Bird Alternative?

A power fan or bird shot to the butt would work. Bird shot is cheaper.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Michelle Durham Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Walker View Post
    A power fan or bird shot to the butt would work. Bird shot is cheaper.
    We use BB guns if the funds are running low or sometimes even large-sharp rocks! LOL

David Bell Guest

Some romex and a switch that activates on removal of the top could work. I would be shocked if they tried it again.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

A whirly-gig or whirligig (seen "birds" and "gigs" made from all sorts of materials from tin, steel, copper, wood, plastic, etc., rarely aluminum), a standard weather vane, or a good old fashioned wind sock, all do the same thing regarding indicating wind direction, just not indicative of speed, and only the "whirlies" can function to deter birds roosting (sometimes). Perhaps in the eye of the beholder, not as dramatically and less artisticaly creative and/or asthetically pleasing as we go down the list of roof adornments, etc.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-20-2010 at 08:34 PM.

roof1_canada Guest

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately the legal expense would probably outweigh most of the options. Static vents will likely do the trick.

Just so there's no confusion this is what I call a whirly-bird. It's probably a slang but I think there's a brand name too.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by roof1_canada View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately the legal expense would probably outweigh most of the options. Static vents will likely do the trick.

Just so there's no confusion this is what I call a whirly-bird. It's probably a slang but I think there's a brand name too.

Wind Turbine roof vent ?

Whirly Birds was a good TV show in the 60's, starring Ken Curtis as one of the pilots.

Turbine vent is what we call those things in the pic. How about welding razor blades to the vanes?

Two sides of a 20 yr old duplex. One side had three passive roof vents, the other side had two turbine vents. Guess which one had mouldy OSB sheathing in the attic? I suspect the turbines were sucking air up thru the attic hatch.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

They can depressurize an attic, the bearings fail, they only work during a breeze, let snow in...