Thread: ROOFER ON CRACK

Default ROOFER ON CRACK

hey all

only kidding came across this shake roof today while doing an inspection--had to stop and share with all

how much do you think this cost to install---rather large home--maybe 6000 sq ft
    charlie

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: ROOFER ON CRACK

Charlie,

I've seen a number of these types of roofs in California in areas like Carmel. I think is must be a status symbol as it states I have more money than sense. I think they call it "character".

"Butt ugly" comes to mind!

Jim Zborowski Guest

All I can say is.....WEIRD

Look familar? Here's one from Carmel Ca. as I mentioned.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Maybe it is just me, middle aged white guy, but why do things that some call stylish I call stupid? Saggy pants, colored hair, tattoos, piercings, etc. just cause me to shake my head and wonder what they or their parents were thinking.
    Those roofs cause one of those moments.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

I don't know about inspecting Charlies roof. Maybe from the inside looking and claiming evry area I could not get to. As far as if the roof looked proper, ah, not getting an opinion from me on that one. Way to many in, outs, ups, downs.

"I could not get into many areas in the attic being restricted by safety and height requirements. From what I could see in the attic it did not appear to have any active leaks. This is a roof that only an experienced roofer/contractor doing this type of installation for many years could give you an opinion on. Any roofing company not familiar with this type of roof should not be inspecting it and forming an opinion on it. You must try to engage a roofer/contractor that did not do this roof but has experience with this type of roof."

I admire the skill it took, not only to roof it, but to frame the roof.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Maybe it is just me, middle aged white guy, but why do things that some call stylish I call stupid? Saggy pants, colored hair, tattoos, piercings, etc. just cause me to shake my head and wonder what they or their parents were thinking.
    Jim,

Ever go back and look at your high school yearbook and see some of the hairstyles and the clothes we wore. I remember being thought of as weird back then too because I wore long hair and wore pants with more denim in the legs than they really needed.

I still have a youthful heart and that is all that matters.

Of course I go ahead and take that little aspirin everyday too.

rick

Crack? I'd say not... if that were the case he'd have stolen the shingles, sharpened one, stabbed someone with it and traded the rest for a rock.

I think it looks more like a good hit of acid or chunk of fungus.

Frank Suchodolski Guest

I really like the look of some of those houses, I hope, however, that a good waterproofing layer has been installed underneath. I have been involved in a few jobs where cedar is only there to protect the waterproofing membrane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Maybe it is just me, middle aged white guy, but why do things that some call stylish I call stupid?....
    I go to the gym, and all the younger guys, regardless of race, creed or color, are wearing "shorts" that end just above their ankles. I'm wearing shorts that end above my knees. I think they look silly and they KNOW I look ridiculous!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I go to the gym, and all the younger guys, regardless of race, creed or color, are wearing "shorts" that end just above their ankles.

It's not that their shorts end just above their ankles, it's that their short start just under their buttocks and all you see above is their "under"wear which is now "outer"wear.

What is really sickening, though, is to see 30somethings and 40somethings dressing that way!

I saw some guy recently who must have been 50something dressed like that and walking around making those 'hand jive' moves those guys make with colored spiked hair ... then again ... Ormond Beach is *right next to* ... Daytona Beach. Soon it will be Bike Week and we will have all those "tattooed bikers with their tattooed biker babes" - you know, those 50something and 60something tattooed guys with long hair and covered with tattoos, along with their "babes" dress the same way and covered in tattoos.

Ever imagined what a bunch of tattooed old women look like? Come to Bike Week and find out.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Crack? I'd say not... if that were the case he'd have stolen the shingles, sharpened one, stabbed someone with it and traded the rest for a rock.

I think it looks more like a good hit of acid or chunk of fungus.
    No. You were not in your teens in the late sixties early seventies now were you.

Yep. I had longer hair than I wish to remember in my later teens probably just because almost everyone in school at that ime did. Gees. Bell bottom. We should have all been shot.

Every sixth store sold bongs and papers in the cities.

Not that I ever inhaled or anything like that though. Or did I. Hmm, just can't remember

I have to admit that I respect Obama for saying he experimented a little. Once upon a time if a politician ever said that he would not be a politition. Doesn't mean they did not experiment just never admitted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    No. You were not in your teens in the late sixties early seventies now were you.

Yep. I had longer hair than I wish to remember in my later teens probably just because almost everyone in school at that ime did. Gees. Bell bottom. We should have all been shot.

Every sixth store sold bongs and papers in the cities.

Not that I ever inhaled or anything like that though. Or did I. Hmm, just can't remember

I have to admit that I respect Obama for saying he experimented a little. Once upon a time if a politician ever said that he would not be a politition. Doesn't mean they did not experiment just never admitted it.
    Actually, I wasn't born until 72..... I just got all of the 'leftovers' from my friend's parent's cupboards

Chuck Weaver Guest

Ok, I know that middle tennessee is not the home design capital of the world and change may come a little slower here but what is with this roof. Are you guys telling me this was designed to look like this? If so WHY!!!!!!!. Just from looking a the photos it is ugly, like the spiked blue hair somebody mentioned. People actually WANT this look? Does it drain properly without pooling/leaking? Help me understand this.

The Chuckster

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Weaver View Post
    Are you guys telling me this was designed to look like this?
    Yep.

If so WHY!!!!!!!. Just from looking a the photos it is ugly, like the spiked blue hair somebody mentioned. People actually WANT this look?
    Ask the guy with the blue spiked hair, same reason most likely.

Does it drain properly without pooling/leaking?
    Maybe, not sure, looks suspicious to me too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Rick Maday Guest

When logic and proportion
    Have fallen sloppy dead
    And the white knight is talking backwards
    And the red queen's lost her head
    Remember what the doormouse said

Feed your head

Jim Zborowski Guest

Smile Re: ROOFER ON CRACK

OK, Fritz, here we go with the "white rabbit" lyrics again, lol
    Wow, he was born in '72. I graduated in '71.....relly getting to feel old. If you'll all excuse me, I think its time for my afternoon nap.

jim,
    class of '70 here. isn't it closer to bedtime in your time zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Weaver View Post
    Ok, I know that middle tennessee is not the home design capital of the world and change may come a little slower here but what is with this roof. Are you guys telling me this was designed to look like this? If so WHY!!!!!!!. Just from looking a the photos it is ugly, like the spiked blue hair somebody mentioned. People actually WANT this look? Does it drain properly without pooling/leaking? Help me understand this.

The Chuckster
    Chuck,

People actually pay big bucks for that look.

You got to remember that this is in sunny California. Have you not ever heard the song?

YouTube - Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California

Richard Thacker Guest

Rick,

Takes me back to the real to reals my Dad would play.

rick
    actually that was in yuppie denver

charlie

Jerry Summerlin Guest

Believe it or not this is a style of roofing. I believe that each shingle has to be steamed to fit the contour. That said leak problem? Go up in the attic of any wood roof in the hot dry summer, it looks like the stars in the sky at night. Crazy, I guess that would be left to the people that pay for it, would I pay for it? Well, after I get to the other 10,000 projects I have. One thing about it from the roofers point of view, there's no one that knows when your screwing up.
    Jerry L. Summerlin
    TREC #5790
    Come see us @
    www.texasstarhomeinspections.com, Texas Star Home Inspections, Dallas Fort Worth Home Inspector, Real Estate Inspections

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Thacker View Post
    Rick,

Takes me back to the real to reals my Dad would play.
    It is reel to reel I think. Don't tell Billy I corrected you.

Chuck Weaver Guest

Thanks Rick. And, yes, I have heard and seen some strange things come out of California. Truth be known I have seen some of it around here also but California does have that reputation.

Chip O'Brian Guest

All in the Name of art. Rember beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What's up Jerry P.

I like it myself. Seems like anything out of the ordinary just doesn't appeal to you guy's.
    I had long hair as a youth and wore bell bottoms. We use to cut the bottoms off and add different material to give it a cool look. 7th grade I even wore platform shoes. Ahhh peer pressure. And if you didn't have a pair of blue denim tennis shoes (forget the name brand)(Converse rings a bell) you where a geek.

The only way to inspect that roof is to be sh**t faced so ever thing would look straight.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Chuck Weaver Guest

Easy Mike. I think we had similiar taste in cloths and hair cuts at one time but this roof is a different animal. But you may be right, I may just need to get s..t faced and take another look.

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Talking Re: ROOFER ON CRACK

With a roof like that. I can hardly wait to see the driveway.