Default Furnace inspection

I inspected a furnace where one of the burners did not work. It was a 12 year old furnace, I did not see any rust or corrosion. The flame on the other three burners looked fine. What could cause this to happen. I'd like to give a knowledgeable answer next time.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Furnace inspection

Clogged orifice is one thing.

Did it have a sediment trap?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry, It did have a trap but the pipe came in horizontally with the trap t-ing off it.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Keefe View Post
    Thanks Jerry, It did have a trap but the pipe came in horizontally with the trap t-ing off it.

You mean like this: gas in horizontally -> ----teedown-----> gas out horizontally?

Those are not allowed because the debris, which is intended to be caught in the sediment trap leg, just blows right over the sediment leg

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    You mean like this: gas in horizontally -> ----teedown-----> gas out horizontally?

Those are not allowed because the debris, which is intended to be caught in the sediment trap leg, just blows right over the sediment leg
    To be precise, it was like this, gas comes down vertically, then 90 degree turn horizontally for 2-3 inches then sediment teedown then 2-3inches horizontally then 90 degree left turn into furnace. Why? I don't know. Still wrong. I called for a HVAC guy to look at it. Thanks for the help.