Default Service equipment or not?

So, I just inspected a rural property. The electrical panel that I would have designated "service equipment" was located adjacent to the driveway. Meter and main disconnect. Neutral/ground are bonded together.

The next panel in the series is in the garage. This also had a disconnect and the neutral/grounds are bonded together. I believe this is incorrect, but wanted to make sure. If I understand it, you can only have one service equipment.

This was a very special property It had an "ace maker", a "suer pump", a "landry" and a "bedroon". Don't find many of those, that's for sure.

Amazing.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Service equipment or not?

The way I understand your description, the garage panel is wrong by having the bond strap installed and the neutrals and grouding conductors mixed on the buss.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    The way I understand your description, the garage panel is wrong by having the bond strap installed and the neutrals and grouding conductors mixed on the buss.
    I agree with Jim, it is also wrong based on the photos, looks like there is a separate grounding wire in with the feeder conductors.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim & Jerry,

Thanks. There is a 4-wire feed from the service equipment and a ufer. But, that would be acceptable, right. It's the neutral/ground that is the problem.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

The 4 wire feeder would be correct. The grounds not isolated from the neutrals and the case bonding are the problems.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Jim & Jerry,

Thanks. There is a 4-wire feed from the service equipment and a ufer. But, that would be acceptable, right. It's the neutral/ground that is the problem.
    And the CEE (ufer) needs to end up terminated on the EGC bus not the neutral bus.