Default Sediment trap question

I am looking for clarification on G2419.4

I am unclear of the first line "Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as part of the gas utilization equipment". Can someone explain what this means? I was talking with a plumber today who claimed that a sediment trap at the gas meter was a "drip" and there was no need for individual sediment traps at the water heater and furnace.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

- IRC - G2419.4 (408.4) Sediment trap. Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as part of the gas utilization equipment, a sediment trap shall be installed downstream of the equipment shutoff valve as close to the inlet of the equipment as practical. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting with a capped nipple in the bottom opening of the run of the tee or other device approved as an effective sediment trap. Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers and outdoor grills need not be so equipped.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Sediment trap question

Allen,

That plumber need to go to some continuing education glasses and learn about what he is doing.

First, unless the trap at the meter is "the low point in a system with wet gas" that is not a "drip".

Second, regardless how many sediment traps are at the meter, those appliances still require one.

The exception is stating that if the gas appliance (utilization equipment) has a built-in sediment trap then another one is not needed (why duplicate the trap right there at the same place).

The exception is also stating that if the gas appliance does not have a built-in sediment trap that one is needed on the gas appliance side of the gas shut off valve.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Lott View Post
    I am looking for clarification on G2419.4

I am unclear of the first line "Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as part of the gas utilization equipment". Can someone explain what this means? I was talking with a plumber today who claimed that a sediment trap at the gas meter was a "drip" and there was no need for individual sediment traps at the water heater and furnace.
    Did you ask if a 'drip leg' was need? Maybe you confused him with too many syllables.

California Plumbing Code 2007: 1211.7 Drips and Sediment Traps.
    1211.7.1 Provide Drips Where Necessary. For other than dry gas conditions, a drip shall be provided at any point in the line of pipe where condensate could collect. Where required by the Authority Having Jurisdiction or the serving gas supplier, a drip shall also be provided at the outlet of the meter. This drip shall be so installed as to constitute a trap wherein an accumulation of condensate will shut off the flow of gas before it will run back into the meter. [NFPA 54: 7.6.1] 1211.7.2 Location of Drips. All drips shall be installed only in such locations that they will be readily accessible to permit cleaning or emptying. A drip shall not be located where the condensate is likely to freeze. [NFPA 54: 7.6.2] 1211.7.3 Sediment Traps. (See Section 1212.7.)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant