Mike T. Jones Guest

Default Can I Route Sink Drain Outside Exterior Wall?

I have a drain problem with two possible solutions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Replace leaking under-slab sink drain by tearing up floor/cabinets/walls through entire length of kitchen, cut trench in concrete slab, replace broken pipe (and water supply lines in same original trench on top of leaking waste line). Patch concrete, install 300 sq. ft. new flooring, reinstall cabinets and (probably new) counters.

2. Abandon old drain in place and install new drain outside along exterior wall, properly sloped, concealed below wood deck conveniently located on other side of exterior wall directly behind the sink and at the perfect height to conceal the drain. This would run about 15' outside before turning back into the house (where there is a lower level) and connecting into the waste stack at the original location. Basically, just offsetting the pipe around the slab instead of under it.

Can anyone weigh in on code issues, freezing issues? Would I need heat trace or just insulation? It can get below zero a few times a year here in the Midwest.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Can I Route Sink Drain Outside Exterior Wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. Jones View Post
    I have a drain problem with two possible solutions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Replace leaking under-slab sink drain by tearing up floor/cabinets/walls through entire length of kitchen, cut trench in concrete slab, replace broken pipe (and water supply lines in same original trench on top of leaking waste line). Patch concrete, install 300 sq. ft. new flooring, reinstall cabinets and (probably new) counters.

2. Abandon old drain in place and install new drain outside along exterior wall, properly sloped, concealed below wood deck conveniently located on other side of exterior wall directly behind the sink and at the perfect height to conceal the drain. This would run about 15' outside before turning back into the house (where there is a lower level) and connecting into the waste stack at the original location. Basically, just offsetting the pipe around the slab instead of under it.

Can anyone weigh in on code issues, freezing issues? Would I need heat trace or just insulation? It can get below zero a few times a year here in the Midwest.
    Welcome Mike,

By Code the purposed #2 fix should not be done.

#1 fix can be done but there are other Repairs Options on the Market

Pipe Lining, Drain Lining, Sewer Line Cleaning

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Mike T. Jones Guest

This is all I can find in the code (OPC):

305.6 Freezing. Water, soil and waste pipes shall not be
    installed outside of a building, in attics or crawl spaces, concealed
    in outside walls, or in any other place subjected to freezing
    temperatures unless adequate provision is made to protect
    such pipes from freezing by insulation or heat or both.

As long as freeze protection is provided, routing drain piping outside seems viable. Obviously, it isn't ideal, but it may be allowed...

What other creative repair options might be out there, Billy? I'm open to just about anything compared to the expense of tearing up the floor.

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. Jones View Post
    This is all I can find in the code (OPC):

305.6 Freezing. Water, soil and waste pipes shall not be
    installed outside of a building, in attics or crawl spaces, concealed
    in outside walls, or in any other place subjected to freezing
    temperatures unless adequate provision is made to protect
    such pipes from freezing by insulation or heat or both.

As long as freeze protection is provided, routing drain piping outside seems viable. Obviously, it isn't ideal, but it may be allowed...

What other creative repair options might be out there, Billy? I'm open to just about anything compared to the expense of tearing up the floor.

Thanks for the reply!
    Hi Mike,

You can't connect that drain to a Waste Stack.

Contact a Competent Licensed Plumber in your area.

Nothing they don't do Daily.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.