Default what kind of blown insulation is this

House was built in 1975 and the insulation was probably blown in the same time. Very light and I figure a cellulose of some kind. I know it is hard to tell with only pictures but any opinions would be helpful. I don't think the pictures uploaded. Sorry and never mind, without the pictures you can't help.

Last edited by Gilbert; 08-16-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: picture did not upload
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: what kind if blown insulation is this

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
    House was built in 1975 and the insulation was probably blown in the same time. Very light and I figure a cellulose of some kind. I know it is hard to tell with only pictures but any opinions would be helpful. I don't think the pictures uploaded. Sorry and never mind, without the pictures you can't help.
    Gilbert,

Photo upload instructions:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...tml#post230073

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Gilbert,

Photo upload instructions:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...tml#post230073
    I tried resizing, I tried everything, nothing works. Computers aren't my thing. I will wait for someone to come over and show me how to do this OR I'll wait for changes to the site.

Arthur Tomuccio Guest

I tried resizing, I tried everything, nothing works. Computers aren't my thing. I will wait for someone to come over and show me how to do this OR I'll wait for changes to the site.
    If you can send me the pictures in a few emails (one pic per email to its4sale@optimum.net ), I will try to post them for you. I'm more of an IT guy than an HI guy, but I love this site!

Arthur Tomuccio Guest

Thumbs up Re: what kind if blown insulation is this

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Tomuccio View Post
    If you can send me the pictures in a few emails (one pic per email to its4sale@optimum.net ), I will try to post them for you. I'm more of an IT guy than an HI guy, but I love this site!
    This is my first attempt to upload the pics for Gilbert. Picture1.compressed.jpgPicture2.compressed.jpg It looks like they just needed to be compressed before they would upload.

My guess - cellulose.

I don't think it is rock wool or blown in.
    The pic of the insulation is somewhat out of focus and not close enough to see clearly.
    I see shiny specks mixed in. This makes me think it's vermiculite.
    Also
    The pic of the attic
    I see small mounds of insulation and only a little insulation on top of the joist.
    This makes me think it was not blown in but loose fill (bag).
    Vermiculite most often is loose fill. It also has a grainy look to it and has shiny specks in it.

If it is vermiculite it could contain asbestos, you should recommend to have it tested.

This may help you to identify the insulation.
    How to identify building insulation: Insulating Material Identification Guide

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 08-18-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Gilbert,

In addition to Ricks link, here are some photos I took for your comparison as to cellulose or vermiculite.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    The pic of the insulation is somewhat out of focus and not close enough to see clearly.
    I see shiny specks mixed in. This makes me think it's vermiculite.
    Also
    The pic of the attic
    I see small mounds of insulation and only a little insulation on top of the joist.
    This makes me think it was not blown in but loose fill (bag).
    Vermiculite most often is loose fill. It also has a grainy look to it and has shiny specks in it.

If it is vermiculite it could contain asbestos, you should recommend to have it tested.

This may help you to identify the insulation.
    How to identify building insulation: Insulating Material Identification Guide
    I should have taken a close-up picture of a few, this would have made it a lot easier for you to comment. Your so right, definitely loose fill. This is what I wrote on my report to the client:

- I was not able to determine with certainty the insulation material in the attic. Due to it's composition it seems to be Vermiculite. Some Vermiculite contain traces of Asbestos, without testing or a sample it is hard to know for sure. See summary for details.

footnote: I'm been doing home inspection for quite some time now and it seems there's always something I could have done better. There is so much to cover in a home inspection, learning something new everytime. Hats off to you guys...... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Gilbert,

In addition to Ricks link, here are some photos I took for your comparison as to cellulose or vermiculite.
    Those photos are actually better than what is shown on Inspectapedia

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I should have taken a close-up picture of a few,
    Yes, if any doubt, You should always take a close-up picture of the insulation

- I was not able to determine with certainty the insulation material in the attic. Due to it's composition it seems to be Vermiculite. Some Vermiculite contain traces of Asbestos, without testing or a sample it is hard to know for sure. See summary for details.
    Not trying to be to much of a critic
    Do not say " Trace' or "Traces".
    This indicates to the buyer that it is of little concern.
    Any PACM should be reported and testing be recommended.

Definition of Trace
    2. A barely perceivable indication; a touch
    3.a. An extremely small amount.
    b. A constituent, such as a chemical compound or element, present in quantities less than a standard limit.

Yes, if any doubt, You should always take a close-up picture of the insulation

Not trying to be to much of a critic
    Do not say " Trace' or "Traces".
    This indicates to the buyer that it is of little concern.
    Any PACM should be reported and testing be recommended.

Definition of Trace
    2. A barely perceivable indication; a touch
    3.a. An extremely small amount.
    b. A constituent, such as a chemical compound or element, present in quantities less than a standard limit.
    Noted.... Thanks

Bad advice.

Testing vermiculite for asbestos got a pretty good back and forth in this discussion.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ite-attic.html

Once again, do not test vermiculite for asbestos. Unless you are testing all the asbestos in the entire attic, results cannot be conclusive. Don't mess with it. If you have to mess with it, treat it as if it contains asbestos. Follow what the EPA says.

Last edited by Mike Lamb; 08-18-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    Bad advice.

Testing vermiculite for asbestos got a pretty good back and forth in this discussion.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ite-attic.html

Once again, do not test vermiculite for asbestos. Unless you are testing all the asbestos in the entire attic, results cannot be conclusive. Don't mess with it. If you have to mess with it, treat it as if it contains asbestos. Follow what the EPA says.
    Mike
    That's a good point
    except, I don't think the advice was bad
    I did not say he should test the insulation
    I said
    he should recommend that it be tested