Default Detaching facade

Estimated cost to repair - including containment scaffolding and permits - 50K-70K + depending on the extent of facade detachment.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Detaching facade

(Well... I guess that facade is "non-structural"... )

Michael Thomas

"Solid structure" is Realtorspeak. I doubt the Realtor is a structural engineer or has a SE's report to back up that statement. S/He may have opened her/himself to liability by making such a statement. But, hey, it may help sell the dump, er, property, a bit faster.

I know what you meant by "Well... I guess that facade is "non-structural"... " but I would call the facade structural because it is supporting its own weight.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    I know what you meant by "Well... I guess that facade is "non-structural"... " but I would call the facade structural because it is supporting its own weight.
    Except that veneer and those facade items are offering no support to the structure, thus are not structural, and, in fact, are 'supported by' the structure.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

OK I'll show my ignorance here.

In Columbus there a many buildings similar to the one shown. Most are 3 story's tall, and built around 1920-1940. Over the years some have burned and been torn down, or rebuilt. On all, the brick was at least a foot thick.
    So my question is; just from the photos, how can you tell that is veneer?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The brick is structural. The stone facade is "decorative". I posted that mostly as a reminder that "decorative" components can represent big liabilities for inspectors - I saw this building because a previous inspection apparently had not fully identified the problem, which was subsequently brought to everyone's attention by a contractor.

Michael Thomas

"a previous inspection apparently had not fully identified the problem" Opps!

In the past couple of weeks I've run into two big misses by previous inspections. One involves a $25,000 suit and the other is about to be sued. It's one way to weed out the ranks. Go attorneys!

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

What was overlooked?

Michael Thomas

The 25,000 was for missing flashing between addition and main house. Apparently the problem has existed for some time. The R.E., who seems really nice, and her office, have been pulled into the suit. The second was in Glenview, 2 yr $1.2m - stairstep cracks over the O.H. door running up into the second floor. Corner of the 2nd floor over the center of the O.H. door - no steel beam, just wood truss over the door. No squash blocks at the basement TJI's - ceilings all drywalled. Ouch! I don't know who the inspectors were but they have a problem.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL