wes owens Guest

Default duct-tape on supply ducts

I found that all of the ducts had been wrapped with duct-tape instead of UL listed foil tape.

This is a new construction that I did today and I recommended repairs.

There are no circumstances that would allow the use of duct-tape in this application, correct?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: duct-tape on supply ducts

Ouch, looks like somebody used what they had on the truck.

That tape will be lucky if it doesn't start to delaminate in about 90 days.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

Mike Parks Guest

Wink Re: duct-tape on supply ducts

I thought duct tape was listed for all repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Parks View Post
    You have to "smile" when you say that Mike or people will think you are being serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Parks View Post
    Yeah, I used it on an old VW I had, worked well for the repair.

Then again, so did taking off the fuel line from the carb and tying it over the carb so gas ran into it (pinched off with a piece of coat hanger to 'control' the flow of gas) when the float/needle valve stuck and quite working. Got my friend and I home (of course, driving about 60 miles at 15 mph wasn't our idea of "fun", but it sure was better than walking ... guess I could have stopped and adjusted the flow of gas to a bit more to get more speed, but when I tried that the first time, it would flood out and die). Try doing that to a 'modern car' with a computer chip.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Unfortunately, my first wife got custody of the pictures of the exploding Fiat Spyder that I had patched the fuel line enough to get us home. It got us to within a couple of miles. Some guy passed me and yelled, "you're on fire". We pulled over and started running. We got about 50 yards. For all of you who think a car can't go up in flames like they do in the movies .....WRONG..... It was just like the movies. It blew the gauges all the way through the driver's seat. In ten minutes that thing looked like a well used BBQ pit.

I think it was part of her reasoning for "irreconcilable differences."

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

I recently had a buyer (wife) sigh in disbelief that duct tape had been used to tape around a metal duct. She said something about how she couldn't believe how cheap a builder must be to use duct tape.... Her husband and I had a good laugh as we informed her that this was actually the one thing duct tape is meant for

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I recently had a buyer (wife) sigh in disbelief that duct tape had been used to tape around a metal duct... Her husband and I had a good laugh as we informed her that this was actually the one thing duct tape is meant for
    The problem is that most of the "duct tape" being sold to consumers (and used by many "professionals" as well) is not rated for use on ductwork.

The tape shown in the photo at the top of the thread does not appear to be an "aproved" UL listed product. On the other hand, its not being used to seal the duct system but rather to cover the seam edges of the insulation wrap which is (hopefully) held on the ducts with proper stapples and does not rely on the "duct tape" product in use to keep itself in place.

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Duct tape can be used for virtually anything "except" for sealing ducts.

HVAC: Anything But Duct Tape

Give the wifey credit for her intuition.

Interesting article below. I have been suggesting nylon ties (mechanical attachment) for flexiduct thinking that it was a permanent form of attachment and the article states that the ties fail as much as the duct tape does!

http://repositories.cdlib.org/cgi/vi...8&context=lbnl

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Terry Neyedli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wes owens View Post
    I found that all of the ducts had been wrapped with duct-tape instead of UL listed foil tape.

This is a new construction that I did today and I recommended repairs.

There are no circumstances that would allow the use of duct-tape in this application, correct?
    Red Green has all the answers for duct tape. Except, for ducting.
    They cannot take the heat but it looks good even when covered up until it comes time for the eleventh month inspection. For my money I'll be sure to use the proper metal (al) tape.
    T.Neyedli
    www.alphahomeinspections.ca