John Tracey Guest

Exclamation Home with bedrooms on same floor as oil burner?

We found a house we simply love, for a hundred reasons, and couldn't understand why it hasn't sold in close to a year. Just now we thought of something we didn't think of during our house visit today and now we're wondering if we've figured out why the house hasn't sold yet.

In the room downstairs to the right of the stairs, there is a room that has a workbench and a tank of some kind that is likely an oil burner. Is it really safe to have bedrooms on the same floor (and in such close proximity especially) to a boiler? The listing says the house has the following heat specs:

Hot Air, SP/HTR, Oil

Meaning hot air, and space heater (?), and oil?

For lots of potential reasons -- carbon monoxide the most obvious -- this is making us nervous.

We love the house enough to ask a second question -- is there a way, if this is an oil burner -- to get the furnace outside of the house, and into a garage (it is not directly adjacent to the house), and thus make the floor more safe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can see we are new to this home search process!

Thanks,

John Tracey

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Home with bedrooms on same floor as oil burner?

Quote Originally Posted by John Tracey View Post
    In the room downstairs to the right of the stairs, there is a room that has a workbench and a tank of some kind that is likely an oil burner.
    John and Tracey,

Sounds like you are trying to not say the bedrooms are in a basement while the bedrooms are in a basement ... am I understanding that to be correct?

If so, there may be other issues which need to be considered in addition to the combustion air issue.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John Tracey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    John and Tracey,

Sounds like you are trying to not say the bedrooms are in a basement while the bedrooms are in a basement ... am I understanding that to be correct?

If so, there may be other issues which need to be considered in addition to the combustion air issue.

I'm afraid I don't understand your response. I can't find any attempt in my post to conceal that the bedrooms are on the same floor as the unit. I specifically ask if them being on the same floor is safe, in fact.

Yes, you can have a fuel fired heating system installed on the same floor as a bedroom. If this is a basement, you'll want to ensure there's proper ingress/egress for the bedrooms, that there is adequate combustion air for the heating system, etc. etc.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

It might be considered acceptable and safe as long as the proper measures are taken during installation of the system but I hate those types of setups. Oil burners tend to be louder and just produce more smell than other systems.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I'm afraid I don't understand your response. I can't find any attempt in my post to conceal that the bedrooms are on the same floor as the unit. I specifically ask if them being on the same floor is safe, in fact.
    Are those bedrooms in a basement, or are they not in a basement?

I stated that if the bedrooms are in a basement there may be additional issues to consider as well as combustion air.

You have not answered whether or not those bedrooms are in a basement.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It doesn't matter if it's a basement or not. The bedroom and boiler can be on the same floor. They cannot, however, be in the same room.

The heating unit has to have combustion air whether or not a bedroom is on the same floor.

A bedroom has to be a minimum of 70 square feet, proper window egress, at least two electrical outlets etc, ect. But that has nothing do do with the heating unit being on the same floor.

Nearly all houses, at least in my area, have either gas or oil heat. There is a possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning any time you have a gas or oil fired appliance in the home, even fireplaces and gas stoves. The only other option is to heat with electricity. Totally void of carbon monoxide, but high heating bills.

The way to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning is to verify the heating unit is installed and operating correctly, including CO testing by your home inspector. After that have the unit serviced professionally yearly. Then replace it when it reaches the end of its predicted life span. Welcome to home ownership.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I agree with Ken that I know of no restriction to having a combustion appliance on the same floor level as bedrooms/living space, just not in the same room. Being safe or not is a different question (combustion air, venting, fire separation, clearance from combustibles, etc.)

In fact, not knowing where you are or how old the house is, I'm more concerned about what you described as a 'tank' style space heater. There is an obsolete type of liquid-fueled space heater, called a 'pot' or 'drip' burner that produces the most gawd-awful amount of soot an CO even in normal operation. Properly vented, the CO shouldn't enter the house, but the risk is too great that even small amounts of backdrafting (not uncommon at start-up) can introduce concentrated CO into the house air volume. If there is no electrical power to the unit, then it could well be one of these (all 'modern' liquid fueled heaters have forced injection, 'gun' type burner assemblies).

Mark

Mark Fisher
    Allegany Inspection Service - Cumberland MD 21502 - 301-722-2224
    Home Inspections, Mold Testing, Thermal Imaging

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's a basement or not. The bedroom and boiler can be on the same floor. They cannot, however, be in the same room.
    Ken,

It DOES matter for the other issues which need to be considered - which is why I have asked that question, and asked at least twice.

Are those bedrooms in a basement, or are they not in a basement?

I stated that if the bedrooms are in a basement there may be additional issues to consider as well as combustion air.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ken,

It DOES matter for the other issues which need to be considered - which is why I have asked that question, and asked at least twice.

Really Jerry? Please explain to us what these "other issues" are. Remember we are not talking about installation or maintenance of the heating unit, or requirements for a legal bedroom.

Then explain to us how that would be different from a slab on grade two story home with the heating unit and a bedroom on the lower level.

While you're writing your answer remember the original question:
    Is it really safe to have bedrooms on the same floor (and in such close proximity especially) to a boiler?

Really Jerry? Please explain to us what these "other issues" are. Remember we are not talking about installation or maintenance of the heating unit, or requirements for a legal bedroom.

Then explain to us how that would be different from a slab on grade two story home with the heating unit and a bedroom on the lower level.
    See below, but first to address this:
    While you're writing your answer remember the original question:
    Ken, as you should know by know, I try to stimulate people to think and consider things, not only what they are asking, but things that they might not even think of asking or even think of thinking about (you know - "unknown unknowns" ).

THAT is what I wanted the original poster to think about, as well as have some of the answers FROM US to consider those things too.

Now back to your question above: "Then explain to us how that would be different from a slab on grade two story home with the heating unit and a bedroom on the lower level."

You really need to be explain about bedrooms in basements? Sheesh!

First there is the REQUIRED natural light from windows.

Then there is the REQUIRED natural ventilation, typically from windows.

Followed by the REQUIRED emergency egress openings, again, typically through windows.

You think those items 'are not' different and 'are not' treated differently than on the slab on grade two story home?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John Tracey Guest

Thanks everyone for all the replies (although I'm a little scared of the guy who keeps telling me how I keep ignoring his question -- yikes! Yes, the bedroom is on the same floor as the burner, which was in the original post and is the title of the thread -- and they are on the lowest floor in the house. I suppose that makes that floor a basement. Please don't hurt me!).

In any event, it seems there was an offer on the house that was already accepted but the house is held up with inspection issues. I am not sure if it is the boiler next to bedroom issue that's causing trouble. In any event, we've moved on to other houses. (We've seen thirty houses since we started looking and there have been no other locations with bedrooms on the same floor.)

The original house is lovely -- totally blown out main room, super high ceilings, huge kitchen, exposed beams, loft with spiral staircase, great master bedroom with bath; I think the bottom floor was an afterthought. Laundry, storage, and -- later, when they had to sell, maybe they decided these would be bedrooms? Who knows. I wish I had snapped a picture of the tank in the room with the ductwork, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    I agree with Ken that I know of no restriction to having a combustion appliance on the same floor level as bedrooms/living space, just not in the same room. Being safe or not is a different question (combustion air, venting, fire separation, clearance from combustibles, etc.)

In fact, not knowing where you are or how old the house is, I'm more concerned about what you described as a 'tank' style space heater. There is an obsolete type of liquid-fueled space heater, called a 'pot' or 'drip' burner that produces the most gawd-awful amount of soot an CO even in normal operation. Properly vented, the CO shouldn't enter the house, but the risk is too great that even small amounts of backdrafting (not uncommon at start-up) can introduce concentrated CO into the house air volume. If there is no electrical power to the unit, then it could well be one of these (all 'modern' liquid fueled heaters have forced injection, 'gun' type burner assemblies).

Mark

Thanks everyone for all the replies (although I'm a little scared of the guy who keeps telling me how I keep ignoring his question -- yikes!
    John,

No need to be scared of anyone here, we all answer in various at various times, and some of those times the answers we give are questions to get the mind thinking of thing beyond that which is being asked.

While the boiler being on the same room may not be a problem for the bedrooms (all depends on combustion air), the bedrooms being on the same floor as the boiler (same thing, only said in reverse order) indicated that the bedrooms were in the basement, and bedrooms in a basement bring up their set of special concerns, minor things such as: a) can one live without light and ventilation, and, b) if one can live without light and ventilation, can one escape from a fire and continue to live?

It is not at all uncommon for bedrooms in a basement to have been added after the house was constructed, and it is not at all uncommon for those bedrooms to have been added without a permit, which means that the normal safety features of bedrooms on a main floor may not be present.

I don't know if that house had the required natural daylight and natural ventilation, nor if that house had the required emergency egress openings, and, so far, I don't recall you asking for more information on those items ... even after I pointed them out to Ken.

You could find out that the bedrooms on the same floor as the boiler was 'no problem' (it might or might not be, we do not have enough information) only to have the occupants of those bedrooms in the basement die during a fire because the other conditions were not present - again, we just do not know as you have not given us that information ... so far.

Just trying to increase your awareness of things to consider when looking at your next house. Take the information as it is offered or take it as a grain of salt and ignore it - no skin off my back (as the saying goes) ... it is your choice to expand your knowledge or to not bother with it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You really need to be explain about bedrooms in basements? Sheesh!

Followed by the REQUIRED emergency egress openings, again, typically through windows.

You think those items 'are not' different and 'are not' treated differently than on the slab on grade two story home?
    Really Jerry? Why not say the electrical outlets might not be properly grounded. Or the light in that bedroom closet is missing its globe cover. They have as much to do with this as your answer does.

You contend that a basement bedroom is automatically different than a 1st floor slab on grade bedroom? So a slab on grade two story home built in 1938 would meet today's requirements for:
    • Natural light from windows?
    • natural ventilation from windows?
    • emergency egress through windows?

Nope it wouldn't Therefore it doesn't matter if it's a basement or not. While we're playing the what if game...what if the basement was a walk out; boiler on the below grade side and the bedroom on the framed side? Plus the OP describe the room as a "bedroom". There is no reason to think anything other than a conforming bedroom.

The reasons you gave were all regarding "bedroom requirements" Remember my question to you was:
    Please explain to us what these "other issues" are. Remember we are not talking about installation or maintenance of the heating unit, or requirements for a legal bedroom.
    Since you didn't actually answer the question the first time we can simply leave it as "There is nothing wrong with having a heating unit on the same floor as a bedroom".

Really Jerry? Why not say the electrical outlets might not be properly grounded. Or the light in that bedroom closet is missing its globe cover. They have as much to do with this as your answer does.
    Really, Ken? Because the things you mentioned ARE NOT SPECIFIC TO A BASEMENT ... jeez, Ken, you should have been able to come up with something better than things which apply to the entire house.

You contend that a basement bedroom is automatically different than a 1st floor slab on grade bedroom? So a slab on grade two story home built in 1938 would meet today's requirements for:
    • Natural light from windows?
    • natural ventilation from windows?
    • emergency egress through windows?

Nope it wouldn't Therefore it doesn't matter if it's a basement or not. While we're playing the what if game...what if the basement was a walk out; boiler on the below grade side and the bedroom on the framed side? Plus the OP describe the room as a "bedroom". There is no reason to think anything other than a conforming bedroom.
    Holy crapola, Ken, you really went off the deep end on that one, must have been because you were overreaching so far you lost your balance and fell off the edge of the earth ...

You think the bedrooms WERE ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTED AS BEDROOMS IN THE BASEMENT and were not done later?

Since you didn't actually answer the question the first time we can simply leave it as "There is nothing wrong with having a heating unit on the same floor as a bedroom".
    Earth to Ken ... Earth to Ken ... didn't you even bother to read my posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck
    While the boiler being on the same room may not be a problem for the bedrooms (all depends on combustion air)
    *WE* *HAVE* *NOT* *BEEN* *GIVEN* all the information we need to know about answering if the boiler and its combustion air is adequate to allow the bedrooms to be on the same level - *IF* the combustion air is as it should be, then there is no problem, but we don't know anything about the combustion air.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Really, Ken? Because the things you mentioned ARE NOT SPECIFIC TO A BASEMENT ... jeez, Ken, you should have been able to come up with something better than things which apply to the entire house.
    That's right, they are not specific to the basement BEDROOM, just like window requirements are not specific to a basement BEDROOM. If you think I'm incorrect, name one basement window requirement that isn't required in any other bedroom of the house. I know what you're thinking...escape ladders from the egress well. Don't even try to go there.

Holy crapola, Ken, you really went off the deep end on that one, must have been because you were overreaching so far you lost your balance and fell off the edge of the earth ...

You think the bedrooms WERE ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTED AS BEDROOMS IN THE BASEMENT and were not done later?
    You must not have done many inspections if you've never seen a basement bedroom finished by the builder.

Earth to Ken ... Earth to Ken ... didn't you even bother to read my posts?

*WE* *HAVE* *NOT* *BEEN* *GIVEN* all the information we need to know about answering if the boiler and its combustion air is adequate to allow the bedrooms to be on the same level - *IF* the combustion air is as it should be, then there is no problem, but we don't know anything about the combustion air.
    Talk about not reading posts! The question was "is it safe to have a heating unit on the same floor as a bedroom?". The answer is "Yes", no matter how you twist your words. How can you jump from:

to:

*IF* the combustion air is as it should be, then there is no problem
    in about a day? See, I read your posts even though they make no friggen sense.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 07-24-2012 at 09:41 PM.

[QUOTE=Ken Rowe;203980]You must not have done many inspections if you've never seen a basement bedroom finished by the builder.[quote]

(sigh)

Kenny, after all this time and you have not been reading my posts? (sigh)

I'm going to guess that almost everyone else here knows that, where I am, a 'basement' would be called 'an unintended indoor pool'.

Talk about not reading posts! The question was "is it safe to have a heating unit on the same floor as a bedroom?".
    Kenny, Kenny ... you are still not reading my posts, or, maybe you are just not comprehending what I've written in my posts ... I will try to make one of my posts where you will understand it:

Ken, as you should know by know, I try to stimulate people to think and consider things, not only what they are asking, but things that they might not even think of asking or even think of thinking about (you know - "unknown unknowns" ).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

(sigh)

Kenny, after all this time and you have not been reading my posts? (sigh)

I'm going to guess that almost everyone else here knows that, where I am, a 'basement' would be called 'an unintended indoor pool'.
    How does it matter where you're at? The original poster is in New Jersey. That's what matters. Are you now saying that you're not qualified to answer his question since you don't have basements that can be kept dry in your area?

Kenny, Kenny ... you are still not reading my posts, or, maybe you are just not comprehending what I've written in my posts ... I will try to make one of my posts where you will understand it:

So instead of just answering the question you decided it was best to try to confuse the OP and complicate the issue by bringing up things that have no bearing whatsoever to the original question. Then to make it worse you try to be cryptic about it.
    Why do you insist on wasting everyone's time with crap like this?

Are you now saying that you're not qualified to answer his question since you don't have basements that can be kept dry in your area?
    No, but I am saying that either you can't read or you can't comprehend what you are reading.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I'm sure the OP is long gone by now after reading this pissing match.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

No, but I am saying that either you can't read or you can't comprehend what you are reading.
    What's there to comprehend? You gave the OP incorrect information and were called out on it.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 07-26-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Home with bedrooms on same floor as an oil burner is NOT a problem. In fact for a ranch home without any basement, crawlspace, etc. This would be the only condition!

The oil-fuel fired equipment should not be IN the sleeping room.

NFPA 31, which can be reviewed on-line (for free) addresses oil-fueled equipment.

Best of luck with your home search.

Suggest you pre-interview, select home inspector candidates before you make any offer; and if the home of interest utilizes oil-fueled appliances - that you pre-interview/select a qualified servicing technician in advance of making any offer, to do complete inspection/analysis of such equipment; similarly, pre-select qualified specialist to inspect the chimney(s) or venting systems for same AND (usually via oil delivery supplies) pre-inspection/certifiction/eligible for insurance) of the storage facilities for the fuel oil (in home, outside home, or in-ground), so you're not scrambling to meet short inspection contingency deadlines, should you make a contingent offer to purchase. Similar provisions for pre-qualifying and selecting (availability, expertise) specialists for inspecting/certifying septic systems &

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-27-2012 at 07:16 AM.

You gave the OP incorrect information and were called out on it.
    Kenny, Kenny,

There you go again, not comprehending what was written.

I did not give incorrect information.

From my first post on it has been the same:
    I'm with Nick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski
    I'm sure the OP is long gone by now after reading this pissing match.
    ... so I'm outta here. You can keep trying to spray up the wall as high as you want, but first you gotta learn not to dribble all over yourself and get your pants all wet. (sigh)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I did not give incorrect information.

From my first post on it has been the same:

This is your first post:

Your "other issues" were:
    REQUIRED natural light from windows.
    REQUIRED natural ventilation, typically from windows.
    REQUIRED emergency egress openings, again, typically through windows.

As shown these "other issues" have nothing to do with a heating unit and bedroom being on the same floor of the house, even when in a basement. Wrong information which you seem to be very good at. Be a man, admit your mistake and move on instead of getting defensive and making crude remarks.

Your "other issues" were:
    REQUIRED emergency egress openings, again, typically through windows.

As shown these "other issues" have nothing to do with ...
    Uh ... Ken ... that's *WHY* they are "other issues". DUH!

Your pants are all wet again.

Be a man, admit your mistake and move on instead of getting defensive and making crude remarks.
    Kenny Boy, *I* am not the one who is wrong, you did not, and still do not, comprehend what was written. Not even after pointing it out multiple times, and, pointing it out yet again in this post.

Kenny Boy, go change your pants, and come back and read the posts, hopefully when you are feeling clean and dry you will be able to comprehend what was written.

Even if you can't ... well, I'm outta here as there is apparently no hope for you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Uh ... Ken ... that's *WHY* they are "other issues". DUH!

Your pants are all wet again.

Kenny Boy, *I* am not the one who is wrong, you did not, and still do not, comprehend what was written. Not even after pointing it out multiple times, and, pointing it out yet again in this post.

Kenny Boy, go change your pants, and come back and read the posts, hopefully when you are feeling clean and dry you will be able to comprehend what was written.

Even if you can't ... well, I'm outta here as there is apparently no hope for you.
    Enough with the personal attacks and pants pissing comments Jerry. If you think you're correct please post any code or reference backing up your position that in order for a heating unit to be installed on the same floor as a bedroom that bedroom must have:
    REQUIRED emergency egress openings, again, typically through windows

You won't because it doesn't exist. Nope, you'll come back with another personal attack and probably more pants pissing references because that's the kind of person you are.

Ken,

... never mind (sigh)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ken,

... never mind (sigh)
    Let me read this carefully...nope, nothing regarding a code reference or any documentation whatsoever. Heck, at this point I'd even accept documentation from Fox News. Instead we get petty, juvenile comments.

This is your chance to prove your point.

But I expect another roll of the eyes because that's how you get when you're proven wrong.

Ken Rowe: You've made your point(s), please 'give it a rest'.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Ken Rowe: You've made your point(s), please 'give it a rest'.
    The point isn't made until Jerry admits the information he has posted is incorrect. This is posted in the homeowners section of the forum. Somebody reading this might erroneously think bedroom windows have something to do with the safety of the heating unit.

Or, even better, an inspector calls out a heating unit as being unsafe because it's located on the same floor as a bedroom and that bedroom's windows don't meet light, ventilation or egress requirements. All because of the incorrect information that Jerry (Code Man) is posting.

John Tracey Guest

Thank you! I feel very responsible for this train wreck of a thread (I apologize everyone), but -- another part of my question that I didn't really dive into was -- can you pull an oil burner (or gas unit) out of a basement and in some way house it outside? Or in a garage? I know a lot of garages these days have the mechanicals in them; this house's garage is standalone, and pretty distant from where the current oil boiler is.

Home with bedrooms on same floor as an oil burner is NOT a problem. In fact for a ranch home without any basement, crawlspace, etc. This would be the only condition!

The oil-fuel fired equipment should not be IN the sleeping room.

NFPA 31, which can be reviewed on-line (for free) addresses oil-fueled equipment.

Best of luck with your home search.

Suggest you pre-interview, select home inspector candidates before you make any offer; and if the home of interest utilizes oil-fueled appliances - that you pre-interview/select a qualified servicing technician in advance of making any offer, to do complete inspection/analysis of such equipment; similarly, pre-select qualified specialist to inspect the chimney(s) or venting systems for same AND (usually via oil delivery supplies) pre-inspection/certifiction/eligible for insurance) of the storage facilities for the fuel oil (in home, outside home, or in-ground), so you're not scrambling to meet short inspection contingency deadlines, should you make a contingent offer to purchase. Similar provisions for pre-qualifying and selecting (availability, expertise) specialists for inspecting/certifying septic systems &

Can't think of anything prohibiting putting it in a shed or garage, but moving and protecting the heat runs and water lines could be a problem (trenching?). Not to mention the oil tank, if distance is a factor, and installing a new flue.

Mark Fisher
    Allegany Inspection Service - Cumberland MD 21502 - 301-722-2224
    Home Inspections, Mold Testing, Thermal Imaging

Thank you! I feel very responsible for this train wreck of a thread (I apologize everyone), but -- another part of my question that I didn't really dive into was -- can you pull an oil burner (or gas unit) out of a basement and in some way house it outside? Or in a garage? I know a lot of garages these days have the mechanicals in them; this house's garage is standalone, and pretty distant from where the current oil boiler is.
    You can do it, but ...
    If you were heating water in a large reservoir for hydronic in-floor heating, yes, the boiler can be located away from the house.
    It does not make sense to do this with a forced air oil furnace. In the basement is the best location, because heat rises. In the garage is much less efficient, even in an attached garage.
    The furnace is in the center of the basement because that is the best place for it, efficiency wise. Combustion air can be piped in to the furnace room from outside. This is worth doing and it is easy.

You train got side-tracked, but it is still rolling.

Last edited by John Kogel; 07-30-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    You train got side-tracked, but it is still rolling.
    Even with those danged "other issues" and "other problems" raised so one can actually think about more than just the question at hand.

Of course, though, then there is Ken Rowe who apparently feels he owns this site and adamantly insists that we do not discuss "other issues" and "other problems" lest we may learn something we did not think to ask.

The train has been righted and in now on a parallel track which is, currently, undamaged - let 'er roll, full steam ahead.

John Tracy, John Kogel raised some good points of other things to consider when relocating an oil burner or even a gas fueled furnace.

You would only be able to relocate the furnace to the outdoors if it was listed for use outdoors (I doubt that it is), and relocating it to a colder garage or even an uninsulated shed which was constructed so the furnace would not be "outdoors" would reduce the available heat output, kind of like putting an air conditioning unit in the hot attic - not the smartest or most energy efficient place for it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A Packaged Heat Pump with Gas Backup could be installed outdoors against the house.

Not terribly practical year/round or north Jersey.

You've still the potable hot water to consider.

Since you've referenced a tank, a boiler, and a furnace - unclear what system is meeting that need.

Geo heat (expensive) and hydronic air handler another option.

John Tracey Guest

Thanks guys. Your messages confirm what we already knew -- we are trying to find a way to make a house that doesn't work for us -- work for us. Damn! Hard to let this one get away.

Appreciate the expertise of you guys!

A Packaged Heat Pump with Gas Backup could be installed outdoors against the house.

Not terribly practical year/round or north Jersey.

You've still the potable hot water to consider.

Since you've referenced a tank, a boiler, and a furnace - unclear what system is meeting that need.

Geo heat (expensive) and hydronic air handler another option.