Thread: Pex question

Peter Wigle Guest

Default Pex question

I haven't seen much of pex yet. This is Wirsbo Aquapex
    - Any known problems with the connections used here?
    - Is it typical for the hot water side to be slightly discolored? The tubing delivering hot has an mild translucent rust-like color. (Could iron or manganese cause this - the water is not obviously high in iron).

Thanks,

(second image is rotated 90 degrees)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: PEX question

That is a BAD installation, starting with those "straps". The straps are supposed to "support" the PEX but not "pinch" or even cause resistance to the PEX. The PEX is required to be able to slip in its supports, to allow for expansion and contraction.

That alone tells me that the person installing that PEX system did not: 1) know what they were doing, or, 2) did not do what they knew they should do. Their choice, but it was 1) or 2).

PEX comes in all kinds of colors: red, blue, clear, white, milky, probably other colors too.

The PEX coming toward you off that tee fitting is supposed to be supported before it bends away from the tee.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Pex question

Peter,

Pex is considerable a combustible if that is a Gas appliance Vent proper clearance is required.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Peter Wigle Guest

Hi Jerry, I have seen PEX that was distinctly red or blue, but this looks like it was clear, but discolored on the inside. You might be able to see how slightly in the second picture (although it is less distinct in the photo than first hand). RE the tight clips, I agree. It kind of looks like the installer had only the 1/2" in stock and used them on the 3/4 tubing. (?)

Billy, good call. In this case its actually a dryer vent (which was another concern just on length - about 25' with three elbows).

I could be wrong, but those "clips" look more like fence staples or bent over nails. Still wrong though.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

http://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/Fi...spx?sc_lang=en

This guide ( http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/71.pdf ), on page 16, shows those staples, it specifically states "The tube should not be compressed by the Tube Fastener."

The installation instructions I am looking at state "Bends within 6 inches of a connection required a tube talon or bend support (for 3/8", and 1/2" AQUAPEX). For 3/4" and 1" tubing, support is required withing 10 inches of a ProPEX connection."

Looks like one piece in the photo is 3/4" (the closer piece) and the other piece is 1/2".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Possible leak at the transition from PEX to copper? Noted some deterioration there?

I've seen that same discoloration before. The discoloration was in someones dark room and nowhere else in the home. I assumed it was from the dark room chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wigle View Post
    I haven't seen much of pex yet. This is Wirsbo Aquapex
    - Any known problems with the connections used here?
    - Is it typical for the hot water side to be slightly discolored? The tubing delivering hot has an mild translucent rust-like color. (Could iron or manganese cause this - the water is not obviously high in iron).
    Peter,

I have not noticed any noticeable color difference in hot/cold Aquapex in anything that I have inspected. It is pretty obvious in the pics you posted and it does look like rust. Could it be an old water heater or possibly galvanized nipples at the water heater inlet/outlet?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Patrick Martinez Guest

Gunnar, I believe you are on the money with the W/H or old Galvy pipes being the issue. More likely the W/H Tank is corroded and rusting out.

Gunnar is on the right track, also high iron in well water does the same.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

James Babcock Guest

Those clips are the old school COPPER piping clips aren't they? There is no way I have ever seen a clip with that small of a contact surface for use with PEX.

Quote Originally Posted by James Babcock View Post
    Those clips are the old school COPPER piping clips aren't they? There is no way I have ever seen a clip with that small of a contact surface for use with PEX.
    James,

Those "staples" are shown in that manual as being allowed.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Babcock Guest

Jerry thanks for the reply, whose manual shows those clips as acceptable? I haven't seen those clips used on anything but copper piping here in Alberta. What do most contractors use in your location? Usually the plastic clips are used here where I am located.

Jerry thanks for the reply, whose manual shows those clips as acceptable?
    The one I posted in post #6 above.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Patrick Martinez Guest

The clips I have seen recommended have been the tube talon type for the PEX / AquaPex piping. The warranty is void if the piping is not to MFR installation standards.

James Babcock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The one I posted in post #6 above.
    Hmm, that is for temporarily holding pex tubing to a subfloor until the floor is poured if you are reading on page 16 as you suggested. The manual you are referring is for radiant floor heating systems. My misunderstanding, I thought those photos in the first post were of a potable water supply system.

My misunderstanding, I thought those photos in the first post were of a potable water supply system.
    No mis-understanding on your part, the photos were of potable water.

Hmm, that is for temporarily holding pex tubing to a subfloor until the floor is poured if you are reading on page 16 as you suggested. The manual you are referring is for radiant floor heating systems.
    I used that because it shows those staple like straps.

Yes, "temporarily" is the purpose, however, once the floor is poured, they become "permanent" within the poured floor.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com