Thread: OOOOPSIE!!

Default OOOOPSIE!!

Here a nice view looking down into the fireplace Ash pit.
    Boiler installed 2 years ago. Water heater 3 years ago Someones got some splaining to do.
    Old lady just passed away in the house

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Garry Blankenship Guest

Default Re: OOOOPSIE!!

You have a flair for technical jargon. Could you tell what that vent pipe belonged to ? That install probably saved a roof penetration

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Boiler installed 2 years ago. Water heater 3 years ago Someones got some splaining to do.
    Old lady just passed away in the house
    The water heater took longer than the the next-of-kin thought it would, so after a year they replaced the boiler, figured THAT oughta do it for sure ... still took another 2 years to get her ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Damn.
    Guess the installers were not Union then eh.

Amazing how dumb people can be and bet some handyman did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    You have a flair for technical jargon. Could you tell what that vent pipe belonged to ? That install probably saved a roof penetration
    And a extra 45 minutes on the job.
    * what's a little Carbon Monoxide gonna hurt.
    If the Installers can be found Criminal charges should be pursued.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Yeah, It was a licensed Heating Company.
    I put the Service tag with their name right next to the pic in the report.
    I called them also, explained the problem,was put on hold, hung up on, and they never returned the call again.
    I heard the death was unrelated and they had lived in the home with other boilers and water heaters in the same configuration for many years.
    Scary to view in person though.
    And OOPSIE was not my comment when I opened that hatch Garry.
    It was something much more Technical, like "WTF"

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Yeah, It was a licensed Heating Company.
    I put the Service tag with their name right next to the pic in the report.
    I called them also, explained the problem,was put on hold, hung up on, and they never returned the call again.
    I heard the death was unrelated and they had lived in the home with other boilers and water heaters in the same configuration for many years.
    Scary to view in person though.
    And OOPSIE was not my comment when I opened that hatch Garry.
    It was something much more Technical, like "WTF"
    Damages would not have to be tied to a Level of Death.
    Criminal negligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    if a history of past health issues could be documented for all PREVIOUS RESIDENTS.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Hi, ALL &

Just finished up a House which had the old gas furnace replaced a year ago with a high-efficiency appliance & the gas-fired water heater was then isolated to the original vent-connector.

Found the vent-connector pointing away from the water heater in very downward direction, instead of upward. Upon closer examination, it was obvious that vent-connector had been connected by the furnace tech., but with no mechanical connectors or supports at all and the weight of that just pulled away & it dropped down some 12-16 inched onto the horizontal gas supply pipe, leaving it wide-open & spilling all the emissions inside the basement each time that water heater fired, where dear-old Mom /Mother-in-Law was living (barely)...

No CO detectors in the entire home & she was sleeping just on the other side the divider wall.

It was a killer & I pointed that out to sonny boy immediately, who got on the phone to his HVAC tech with a loud scream just before the whole family left for the airport, with her on her own.

Imagine the horror of what they would likely have discovered upon returning home & I had to imagine /wonder how much Liability Insurance that contractor might be carrying...

What a careless world we live in !

Cheers

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI