Default Re: Payment at closing

Do search for past discussions on this. As for me, no payment at closing. I still have a few thousand dollars uncollected from 5 years or so ago when I permanently stopped taking payment through the title company.
    Cash, check, or credit card at the time of the inspection.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Stephen G Guest

I had a client who wanted to read it first, said he might not wanna buy the place if its bad,,,which is odd thing to say, he followed me around the previous day.....there was more said and then he gave me cash....it was pretty tense. There is a lot of money involved and people change completely when big money enters the equation.
    make sure it is discussed during the agreement. Cash or check at the beginning of the inspection. No money, no inspection...Sometimes you get a feeling...I don't work for free...

Quote Originally Posted by ren ramsey View Post
    How many folks will allow payment at closing?
    If so do you charge a premium?
    How have you found the best way is to make sure that you get paid at closing?
    Don't do it! If they do not have the funds to pay for the inspection they sure as heck do not need to buy a house!

Cash, Check or CC covers all bases.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I don't even discuss the issue. In my agreement, right above the client's signature it clearly states in in big and bold:

No reports are released until payment in full has been received.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

I have been very fortunate during my inspection career I have only rec'd one or two NSF cheques which the clients made good on and they paid the bank charges for a NSF cheque.

My payment is due upon completion of inspection (cash or cheque). I have had people ask me not to cash the cheque for a day or two, which I thank them for letting me know.

I have also had people who forgot cash or cheque, and they have always forwarded payment.

Personally I would avoid asking for cash up front before even doing the inspection but thats my modus operandi.

Stephen G Guest

I am up front not rude about it ...I open the folder with the contract. Ask them to read and sign. The pen is yours, you can sign the cheque with it and then place the cheque or cash in this folder here...they do..its my hookers pillow..

I have accepted pay at closing several times in the past 7 years. Make sure you have them sign your inspection agreement that states the inspection fee $ and if they don't pay you can also collect for collection fees (get phone #s emails and current address). Had only 1 person not pay in 7 years, have had to write some treating letters thou.

If you want to accept payment at closing, but don't want to take on the risk, RWS Inspector Services Group offers a receivable funding option for escrow billing. We bill the title company, we provide the contract for the client to sign, and we charge the client a small fee for doing it. You get your money immediately!

We have inspectors offering the escrow billing option on their websites, around 300 of them, and though we're willing to fund any inspection we don't get that many requests. I am happy to report that when faced with a fee, many of your clients will just pay you. In almost every case that we've funded a deal it has been because the seller had an allowable amount of buyer expenses that exceeded what they were likely to spend, and they would have simply forfeited the benefit if they didn't take advantage of it. It had nothing to do with their being able to afford buying a house at all, not that it is our place to make that judgement.

If you sign up there's no obligation to use it. You can take our contract and change it up for your purposes- we've never been stiffed in the year or so we've been offering this service. Everything is backed up by a contract, a check, and a credit card number. I won't say it's "foolproof", but it's pretty darn close.

Quote Originally Posted by ren ramsey View Post
    How many folks will allow payment at closing?
    If so do you charge a premium?
    How have you found the best way is to make sure that you get paid at closing?
    As others have said, DON'T DO IT! I had good luck with payment at closing, with a few exceptions, until 2008. I am still out over $2000.00 due to the "I didn't buy the House!" response to my unpaid invoices. Credit card numbers on maxed out cards are worthless. There address is worthless, (remember these are people looking to MOVE!), hence the check they said you could hold as security, is worthless. Anyone who says you can just sue them, has never done it!

I would like to see the licensure board make it illegal to accept payment at closing. In my opinion there is a conflict of interest if there is any reason I would be risking loss if the deal falls through. Due to some settlement agreements, that do not allow the buyer to claim the expense of the home inspection if it is paid outside of closing, I do accept payment at closing if I can hold the total amount owed as collateral. I return the "collateral money" on receipt of the check from the attorney.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Some buyers claim that the seller has agreed to pay closing costs and they want to fold the inspection fee into those costs by delaying until closing.

My answer is I will provide them with a receipt with company logo and leaderhead that they paid X amount for a home inspection. Tell them to submit the receipt at closing. Usually works. Some whin and so I tell them the alternative is to pay at the inspection. Those people then want to pay with a CC. Nope. Cash or check. Most find a way. Those that cant or dont I prefer not to have as a customer.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I offer it. And I get a lot more inspections because of it. I charge a $35 premium for it and it tends to move the clients to pay by credit card or check.

I have had only 2 clients not pay in the last year. About 1/3 of my business is pay at closing. Do the math. 300 inspections last year. 300 x.33=100 premium fees of $35 each. $3,500 in added revenue... $700 in write offs. $2,800 in extra revenue for being accommodating AND I have about a dozen Realtors that refer me over others just because I offer this option.

It's a business, just like the appraisers, the termite guy, the attorney and the Realtor that all get paid from closing.

Just be sure to get the closing attorney's info and email a copy of the invoice and contract to their office then verify that they got it and it will be funded from closing.

Just my 2 cents

Andrew Constantine
    InspectPro Home Inspections
    Serving NC and SC
    Charlotte NC Area Home Inspections
    CharlotteHomeInspectorTips.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Seriously folks. This goes round and round every year.

If your client that wishes to pay at closing car breaks down when they leave the inspection I can absolutely guarantee you that they will come up with the 300, 400, 600 whatever it may be when the man is holding there keys in one hand and his other hand extended for the money.

For Realtors to even mention this as an option for a client should be criminal.

Buy a TV. Yup, whip that credit card out or some cash and you can walk ouit of the store with that TV.

Grocery store. Yup, pull out your form of payment they accept and yes, you can walk out with your groceries.

Oh yeah. The only reason you are doing 300 plus inspections a year? Yep, you got it. You are working for the Realtors. Your thoughts about everything include the Realtor first and then your client.

Even though you are an honest guy.

Just sayin!!!!

As far as this statement. "It's a business, just like the appraisers, the termite guy, the attorney and the Realtor that all get paid from closing."

One huge difference between you and the Realtor and the lawyer (forget about the termite guy. They get paid when they do their work) ........ Their work is not done. You already put your trust in the client to go ahead and do the inspection. It is time for you to collect the money and then get the report done and email it off to them.

By the way. If the Realtor does not have the deal close then they do not get paid. Are you willing to go by those terms??? The attorney is at the closing and that is when he gets paid. As far as the appraiser he is not working for the client.

Yeah yeah I know. Gotta think of the big picture. Those three hundred inspections a year from the referral farm.

After all. You are "their" inspector. Not sarcasm from me on that one. That is what they refer to you as. I have many x Realtors that give me all the news. Actually some are still Realtors from out of state that I grew up with. Mass, Florida and Texas. All say the same thing.

Just sayin!!!!!

Anyway. All do as you wish. Think of the groceries, the plumber, the dealership, the vacation. Yup, gotta pay all of them and almost any other business on the planet before you walk with the knowledge or goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Constantine View Post
    It's a business, just like the appraisers, the termite guy, the attorney and the Realtor that all get paid from closing.

Must be regional, around here the appraiser collects the check on site, as does the termite inspector.

No one even asks for that option in my market, maybe once a year, guess I'm glad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Must be regional, around here the appraiser collects the check on site, as does the termite inspector.

No one even asks for that option in my market, maybe once a year, guess I'm glad.
    Same here. The appraisers fee is collected by the mortgage company prior to sending one to the site. The pest control guy is paid on site or before they issue their report.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I've waited for payment at closing a few times and have never failed to be paid even on the transactions that didn't close. Yet, I don't advise it and won't do it with a realtor that I don't know well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post

I asked appraiser at today's inspection, they used to be able to collect at closing but are no longer aloud to in NC.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

Oh yeah. The only reason you are doing 300 plus inspections a year? Yep, you got it. You are working for the Realtors. Your thoughts about everything include the Realtor first and then your client.

By the way. If the Realtor does not have the deal close then they do not get paid. Are you willing to go by those terms??? The attorney is at the closing and that is when he gets paid. As far as the appraiser he is not working for the client.

Yeah yeah I know. Gotta think of the big picture. Those three hundred inspections a year from the referral farm.
    Ted,

No, I am not "working for the Realtor", I am working for the client.

The difference is that I actually know what I am looking at and can explain it, how it can be repaired and at what level of complication. My clients (and Realtors) appreciate an inspector that doesn't blab on and on about how other inspectors aren't taking care of the client because they were referred by someone in the Real Estate business.

It amazes me Ted how you and others have nothing better to drone on and on and on about how criminal referrals from Realtors are in these forums.

A businessman sees opportunity and makes it work, both ethically and profitably. A wanna-bee sits around all day complaining about others in the industry and griping that there are actually businessmen in the home inspection business that know how to take exceptional care of the client AND gain enough respect from attorneys, Realtors, lenders, appraisers, and other business people based on their expertise and ability to communicate professionally to receive referrals.

It's called balance Ted. Not a "Realtor farm" as you call it. I'll keep doing what I'm doing protecting my clients as good, actually, better than most inspectors and I'll continue to get referrals because I don't whine and drone on and on and on as you seem to do about the evil Realtors and sinister home inspector that can actually protect a client while not scaring them to death over a missing hinge bump.

In case you haven't realized it, your typing more than your ignorant opinion.... you're a cyber-bully - you don't even know me or my business or my work ethic, yet, somehow you are so smart that you have all this figured out from one post? Get a life man.

I try to share my experience with a gentleman that asked a question and you jump in throwing "Realtor farm" and, "that's how you get 300 a year" comments on the forum. Being both angry and ignorant is a dangerous place to be...

Best of luck in your business. Make sure that you turn down any and all referrals from Realtors to stay true to yourself. (Like you ever get referrals...)

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Constantine View Post
    Ted,

No, I am not "working for the Realtor", I am working for the client.

The difference is that I actually know what I am looking at and can explain it, how it can be repaired and at what level of complication. My clients (and Realtors) appreciate an inspector that doesn't blab on and on about how other inspectors aren't taking care of the client because they were referred by someone in the Real Estate business.

It amazes me Ted how you and others have nothing better to drone on and on and on about how criminal referrals from Realtors are in these forums.

A businessman sees opportunity and makes it work, both ethically and profitably. A wanna-bee sits around all day complaining about others in the industry and griping that there are actually businessmen in the home inspection business that know how to take exceptional care of the client AND gain enough respect from attorneys, Realtors, lenders, appraisers, and other business people based on their expertise and ability to communicate professionally to receive referrals.

It's called balance Ted. Not a "Realtor farm" as you call it. I'll keep doing what I'm doing protecting my clients as good, actually, better than most inspectors and I'll continue to get referrals because I don't whine and drone on and on and on as you seem to do about the evil Realtors and sinister home inspector that can actually protect a client while not scaring them to death over a missing hinge bump.

In case you haven't realized it, your typing more than your ignorant opinion.... you're a cyber-bully - you don't even know me or my business or my work ethic, yet, somehow you are so smart that you have all this figured out from one post? Get a life man.

I try to share my experience with a gentleman that asked a question and you jump in throwing "Realtor farm" and, "that's how you get 300 a year" comments on the forum. Being both angry and ignorant is a dangerous place to be...

Best of luck in your business. Make sure that you turn down any and all referrals from Realtors to stay true to yourself. (Like you ever get referrals...)
    Alrighty then.

Ignorance is bliss I guess and I guess you are a real business man.

Okee dokee.

Nuf said.

By the way. I said referral farm. Hurts to know that you cannot get much work on your own aye.

You have a nice night.

ted

put a lid on your lips once and for all about realtor referrals--if you take just one you are a hypocrite--and we all know you are one. stop putting down competent professional inspectors who take referrals and don't give a **** what that realtor says and serves their client professionally. there are many honest realestate agents out there, maybe they run your state licensing--but that don't here. my real estate agents honor and respect my inspections and also refere me to there listings--i known as a tough inspector here in colorado

so tired of your agent and inspector bashing--and did you ever notice how long your ranting post are--longer then anyones--just check it out--guess you have less times on reports and more bullshit time

this is a respectful forum-sorry i stoop to your level

try being constructive and informant instead of
    ALL ABOUT TED BEING RIGHT

IGNORE LIST YOU GO

cvf

Ted Menelly Guest

Gentlemen, gentlemen, relax, take a breath. You stated your opinion!!!!

I stated mine.

You put it your way and I put the truth to you about influence and control and why it should be separated.

You guys just don't play nice and you are such bullies. I can't tske it anymore. I will see my shrink tomorrow over this.

Gentlemen? Kinda like many a church goer I know. See it their way or no way and anyone that doesn't

Damn them to hell.

You gotta admit it is pretty funny.

As I always end it

Have a nice night Gentlemen.

TED

you are weird-are you any where near waco and david kerash territory

cvf

Ted seems to think anyone who does more than 50 inspections a year must be "working for the realtor". Sorry to burst your part time inspector bubble Ted, but there are many really good inspectors out here, working for our clients, who actually do this full time.

You ever consider that you're not able to be a full time inspector because there's something wrong with you...and not everyone else? A little advice for ya, treat people kindly and with respect. Even if they have a job as a Realtor (shutter), they are people first. I don't care if you're the best inspector in the world, if you treat people like crap (the way you talk about them on here) you'll never do inspections full time. Sure, I've treated a few like crap myself, but only after they've asked me to; go easy on the report, change my report, or told me I screwed up their deal. I blackball them and let the clients know what happened. Every time, they've dropped their agent and had me do their next inspection. But, you know what, all agents aren't like that and until you get that through your thick skull and start treating them like humans you'll continue at your part time pace.

By the way, I'll be doing right at 300 inspections this year and I never accept pay at closing.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Thanks guys. Its good to see true professionals on the forum that understand that an inspector isn't automatically EVIL for accepting referrals from Realtors.

As for you Ted, opinions are like as***les... everyone has one. Too bad you are one too.

Ted Menelly Guest

Like I said

Gentlemen????

Professionals???

Fools!!!! It is not evil. It is not doing 300 a year. It is someone making thousands per home sale and they pick the inspector. You will never understand, ever, the implant that happens once yoy fall into that trap. Balance. Has everything to do with balance. The Realtor should not be someone you have to "balance inn your act.

Now on that note.

Luv yeah Ken, Charlie, and yes, even you Andrew. You all have a nice day here..

By the way. I'll wind up with about 275 for the year.

Yup. Maybe and I say maybe a handful of Realtors give me a very tiny portion of the inspections. I say give. A list of inspectors is where I am included. Not, "my inspector".

Gotta go do inspection 200 and what ever it is so far.

Oh, I see Ted. The difference between 275 and 300 inspections per year; one inspector "works for the Realtor" and the other doesn't. LOL what a joke. As I said before, maybe if you treated people a little better you could actually be a full time inspector.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Oh, I see Ted. The difference between 275 and 300 inspections per year; one inspector "works for the Realtor" and the other doesn't. LOL what a joke.

That is what you do not understand Ken

It is no joke. Anyone can do it without getting all of their inspections or most of them from Realtors. Not quite sure what that is all about. I have never joked about it. I tell it like it is and for some reason you have a hard time with it. I have listened to you and Charlie and several others repeated hate the idea that someone is trying to take a stand in life and actually show others that the dependancy on realtors and the entire ethics issues you hear and read about on a constant basis can be avoided completely.

The biggest fear even though I know for a fact you folks know what I am putting forth is that if you take away Realtors from the referral equation that you could not servive. It is quite honestly and very simply not true.No joke, no ******* involved, just real life that none of the 3 of you have ever and I mean ever experienced in the inspection world. You were all taught that you absolutely must market Realltors to survive because the hold the purse strings.

Now the difference between you and the rest of the world is they agree for a fact that it appears that the Realtors hold the purse strings. Most would love it if the Realtors were not involved but get most of their inspections from them.

Yes Ken.. I agree wholeheartedly that there would be a huge but temporary upset if realtors were not allowed to point, direct, refer, wink and nod toward any inspector or inspector association.

But it would be temporary. The folks still need and will get an inspection. The cat is long out of the bag. Everyone on the planet knows they need an inspection. Realtors are no longer needed for that.

That's all Ken. You, Charlie, Andrew are not jerks, thick headed assholes or anything else. You folks just simply do not know an different than what you were taught.

Now, to that report from this mornings inspection. Yeah yeah. You got it. A referral from a past client!!!!!!!!

Like I say Ken. I still luv ya.

Yup. Maybe and I say maybe a handful of Realtors give me a very tiny portion of the inspections.
    Nice to see Realtors give you work Ted. Personally I've earned every inspection I've ever done since starting my own business. Nobody gives me anything, especially agents.

Synopsis of Ted:
    Ted: If you do 300 inspections a year you must be working for the Realtors.
    Ted: Hurts to know that you cannot get much work on your own.
    Ted: I do 275 inspections per year.
    Ted: Realtors give me inspections.
    Hypocrisy at its finest.

Ted,

I'm sure Andrew, Charlie would agree that we aren't upset in the least about your stance regarding getting referrals from agents. What we don't appreciate is you jumping to the conclusion that anyone doing more work that you is "working for the agent" and making accusatory statements to the fact.

I know you don't know me and you probably don't know Charlie or Andrew and have no idea what our business models are. All you know is what you do and you even admit that agents "give" you inspections. Don't assume we're all like you Ted, we're not.

So go ahead and rant about agent referrals while you continue to take them. Just don't assume and accuse other inspectors of "working for the Realtor" when you really have no idea what they're doing to get inspection for themselves.

We do.

I agreed to do it one time, as long as it was secured with a credit card number, and then took the number over the phone. Turns out the deal fell through, and the credit card was actually a check card, and there was less than half my fee in the account. I took everything I could from the account, and she closed it the next day. I know better now, and won't do it again.

We accept payment at closing out of escrow, we have a contract addendum that addresses it, we secure it with a credit card, and we bump our fee by $50 to cover our costs of billing, tracking, etc. Has not been a problem and I know we've received additional inspections because of it.

Frank Adame Guest

Here is a brief forum history of Ted, our illustrious gate keeper and spokeperson of all that is unholy and shameful, about accepting Realtor referrals:

6-13-2011, 12:38pm: "Even though I just picked up an excellent high volume Realtor.."

"I recently tyried to get another Realtor to start referring me very high voulme."

"Realtors should be banned throuhout the country from being able to refer any HI in any way."

"...calling a few of the realtors doing my nice guy and I am still around thing...'

7-23-2008, 1:50pm: "The office was my first contact when moving to Texas and recieved a steady flow of referrals from them."

As Ted would say "Just sayin!!!!"

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adame View Post
    Here is a brief forum history of Ted, our illustrious gate keeper and spokeperson of all that is unholy and shameful, about accepting Realtor referrals:

6-13-2011, 12:38pm: "Even though I just picked up an excellent high volume Realtor.."

"I recently tyried to get another Realtor to start referring me very high voulme."

"Realtors should be banned throuhout the country from being able to refer any HI in any way."

"...calling a few of the realtors doing my nice guy and I am still around thing...'

7-23-2008, 1:50pm: "The office was my first contact when moving to Texas and recieved a steady flow of referrals from them."

As Ted would say "Just sayin!!!!"
    Speaking of records I never once said I did not take referrals from Realtors. I have always said that I have rules about taking referrals from Realtors. I have always said I get the absolute mass majority of my inspections from past clients and the Internet. I am not quite sure why I those who wish not to understand it don't understand it.

I have also said that when people first start they have about no choice than to take referrals from Realtors. Not that long ago I told somebody they needed to market is heavy to realtors as possible because they have no choice if they wish to get inspections to start and it is not the way things should be their business. And that is because the realtors hold the purse strings and that is not the way things should be.

Just saying!!!!!!!

No need to start bagging on Ted. Our company feels the same way. As a matter of fact, we got so fed up with realtors that we invested thousands in SEO & past client marketing to get away from them. Presently, our business went from 80% realtor referral to now 20% with 80% now from the internet & past clients.
    Dont ge me wrong, we still take realtor referrals like Ted, but now we can choose "who's" referral we take. This investment in SEO & PCM caused us to hire another inspector, so al-in-all, a good move away from realtors.

How do you market to past clients? I have had decent success marketing to agents, but I'm a little vague on a good approach for past clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    How do you market to past clients? I have had decent success marketing to agents, but I'm a little vague on a good approach for past clients.
    We developed a system to hit them every 21 days. Its a process, but it works. Also, with very little drop rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post

Dont ge me wrong, we still take realtor referrals like Ted, but now we can choose "who's" referral we take. This investment in SEO & PCM caused us to hire another inspector, so al-in-all, a good move away from realtors.
    90% of my realtor referrals are from calls by the buyer, and I don't know the source until after I scheduled the inspection. And 1/2 of new realtors that refer me I never heard of them before.

How do you choose to do or not to do a particular realtor referral when you find out the realtor that referred you is on your do not do list?

In the past 12 years I have yet to decide I don't/ won't do an inspecton that was referred by a particular realtor.
    I've had several realtors refer me once and never hear from them again. It could be that they didn't feel I was willing play the way they wanted me to , maybe I didn't meet their expectations, or for I know they are no longer in business.

As far as " No need to start bagging on Ted" he works hard to earn it

Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-03-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    90% of my realtor referrals are from calls by the buyer, and I don't know the source until after I scheduled the inspection.
    How do you choose to do or not to do a particular realtor referral when you find out the realtor that referred you is on your do not do list?

In the past 12 years I have yet to decide I don't/ won't do an inspecton that was referred by a particular realtor.
    I've had several realtors refer me once and never hear from them again. It could be that they didn't feel I was willing play the way they wanted me to , maybe I didn't meet their expectations, or for I know they are no longer in business.

As far as " No need to start bagging on Ted" he works hard to earn it
    If an agent is booking the inspection for the client, and if he/she is on our short list, we're not available (booked). If a client calls, and an agent on our short list is on the buyers side, I take it anyhow.
    Fortunatly for us, we are in a position where we can choose who we take business from. In my getting older age, I'm getting less and less tired of the problems. It's bad enough we have to deal with them there, but them dictating how my job should be done before or after just gets old.

We developed a system to hit them every 21 days. Its a process, but it works. Also, with very little drop rate.
    What kind of "hit" do you use? Generic home tips? or some other info?

Many agents use commercially generated newsletters that have a home tip and a recipe and some kind of general statement about real estate and an "action request" for the agent at the end. These newsletters rarely generate any business but agents consider them important for just keeping their names in front of past clients.

I have had success sending agents truly interesting and useful information about the real estate business. Sometimes, I find 2 or 3 items in a week and other times, like lately, I am lucky to find one useful piece of information in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post

When a client calls to book the appointment we have a list of questions they need to answer. One is, "Who is your agent"? If it turns out to be someone who we blacklisted we tell the client exactly why we won't deal with that agent.

If the agent is the one who calls....well, that doesn't happen because I've already told them not to bother referring us any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    When a client calls to book the appointment we have a list of questions they need to answer. One is, "Who is your agent"? If it turns out to be someone who we blacklisted we tell the client exactly why we won't deal with that agent.

If the agent is the one who calls....well, that doesn't happen because I've already told them not to bother referring us any more.
    See, i'm not the only one who blacklists agents and has a list of questions. Sometimes the money is just not worth it.

Ted Menelly Guest

See, i'm not the only one who blacklists agents and has a list of questions. Sometimes the money is just not worth it.
    Marc

Don't say anything out loud. I just wanted to tell you between me and you so I don't upset anyone. All those reasons for blacklisting agents. The ones that you think are not worth it to try to deal with. The ones that want things there way instead of the true inspection way

Yup, those ones. and there are thankfully thousands and thousands more that are not like that. But because of the massive amount of Realtors that are like that and because of the handful of inspectors that can be swayed like that or by money.

Shhh. That is the reason Realtors should be out of the inspection business 100%. Please don't tell the others that is why I have my beliefs.

By the way

I commend you. I commend you for the 80/ 20 reversal.

Now. Without saying I said anything about it could you please explain like I have tried (my God, Forever) how that reversal can and does take place. Tell them that it may have a hic up in the middle of the reversal but in the end......it will be OK. Tell them that paying all the attention to just the client and not doing the balancing act between the two gained you that complete reversal.

Putting that client up on high. Thanking them. Appreciating them. Smiling to them. Following up with them. Did I say following up with them. Laugh, joke, be serious. Be direct. Complete the relationship how it was meant to be. Between you and the client and not the Realtors, a little to the client, back to the realtor, oh yeah that pesky client once again.

Who said this?

Just saying!!!!!!!!!

ted

YOU NEED SERIOUS HELP--again you tell everyone how great you are by smiling at clients calling them- following up on issues. and the other crap you stated.. yes ted you are the only one who does that in this business, but i am sure we will all now incorporate that into our business. ARE YOU SERIOUS.

THERE IS NOT ANOTHER INSPECTOR IN THE USA AND CANADA THAT DOES THAT. BUT WE WILL IN THE FUTURE

HOLY CRAP WHAT A POMPOUS ASS

CVF

Ted Menelly Guest

Darn it Marc. I asked nicely for you not to say anything to anyone. See now....Charlie is all upset again. Aint trustin you no more

Stephen G Guest

Hey Ted, could you answer the ' hit' question. Every 21 days you.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    What kind of "hit" do you use? Generic home tips? or some other info?

Many agents use commercially generated newsletters that have a home tip and a recipe and some kind of general statement about real estate and an "action request" for the agent at the end. These newsletters rarely generate any business but agents consider them important for just keeping their names in front of past clients.

I have had success sending agents truly interesting and useful information about the real estate business. Sometimes, I find 2 or 3 items in a week and other times, like lately, I am lucky to find one useful piece of information in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    We make some type of contact with our clients every 21 days.

Stephen G Guest

I don't even know if many of my clients buy the place. To remote for me to follow up on, and then theres that realtor love...sure, she will tell me if they walked...cuz she didn't get the commission....now that's cold calling...

I don't even know if many of my clients buy the place. To remote for me to follow up on, and then theres that realtor love...sure, she will tell me if they walked...cuz she didn't get the commission....now that's cold calling...
    We follow up a few days after the inspection then, a week after that to answer questions. So we know if the deal went south. Also, it gives us an oppertunity to make sure they use us again. Its a lot of footwork but it works.

Ted Menelly Guest

Everything that Marc says.
    I don't know about where you are but the Mass majority of homes I inspect have a Supra lock on them. We have to call CSS to set up the appointment. By doing so if the home falls thru all our other follow up may not be timed right to hit the client if they are out looking for another home. We get a note that the property is back on the market. We follow along to the client about how everything is going. Obviously they tell you the home went thru and they found another and was about to call me.

Anyway there are companies out there and I will forward one to you that keeps track of all this for a few dollars an inspection. Literally a few dollars per inspection. One time fee and every client you ever had goes into their data base. You can schedule to send emails off after so many days or a month or every three months and it still does not cost you anymore than that original few dollars one time fee for that particular inspection. I just got up and on the computer to put the day together o the brain is in idle mode.

The matter I am discussing about the putting the client on high is not just to follow up but to put great concern and true concern for them out to them in some form of timely manner without it looking like you are marketing them. Here in Texas I am still getting calls from clients 8 years back to either set up an inspection for them or they are telling me that they gave my info to someone "I hope you don't mind"

Truth of the matter is. Instead of expending all that energy to getting more referrals from the Realtor I double it down on the client.

Every afternoon or day that I am not inspecting I am at the computer doing follow up. To past clients. Not pestering. Just showing true concern. I never bring up the I need an inspection thing. It is all about them.

Stephen G Guest

Great ideas, will have to steal them all.

When I first put up my shingle, oh so many weeks ago (lol) i walked into every realtor's office to hand out my card and intro myself... at the end of the day I kinda figured that getting a referral from them is not likely...and I was right.

I am going to try and figure how what your doing will work up here. I keep a data base with all clients and can press print to envelopes anytime. My snag was not knowing if the property sold. Some clients find reality during this process and decide not to purchase for a long time. I guess a follow up phone call could cure that...Ive got work to do...

thanks guys

Frank Adame Guest

Aside from leaving the client with the feeling that they just made a new best friend of me, I leave them with two other marketing ideas: I give them a nice dark blue, 2-pocket folder which contain a paper copy of their contract, invoice, a business card and a copy of a free one-year termite warranty. People easily lose business cards but it's hard to lose a folder.

The other thing that I leave them is a request to call me (after they bought the house) if they need advice on repairs and upgrades or finding good contractors. That last idea completely cements the feeling that I was looking out for their best interests during the inspection and for their future.

In the past three and half years, I haven't followed up with my clients, they have followed up with me. Additional, whenever I do get a call for advice, I let their Realtor know that I am still taking care of their past clients.

I know my business model isn't anything new, but it did allow me to reach that "80/20" after only 2 years.

Good ideas, Thanks.

I don't think you have to know if your clients actually closed on the home. Even if they didn't, a follow-up email can likely land you the inspection on their next try. My record, is four inspections for the same guy before he finally closed on a house.

And if they like you, you might still get referrals from them.

Post Re: Payment at closing

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Don't do it! If they do not have the funds to pay for the inspection they sure as heck do not need to buy a house!

Cash, Check or CC covers all bases.
    AGREED.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adame View Post
    Aside from leaving the client with the feeling that they just made a new best friend of me, I leave them with two other marketing ideas: I give them a nice dark blue, 2-pocket folder which contain a paper copy of their contract, invoice, a business card and a copy of a free one-year termite warranty. People easily lose business cards but it's hard to lose a folder.

The other thing that I leave them is a request to call me (after they bought the house) if they need advice on repairs and upgrades or finding good contractors. That last idea completely cements the feeling that I was looking out for their best interests during the inspection and for their future.

In the past three and half years, I haven't followed up with my clients, they have followed up with me. Additional, whenever I do get a call for advice, I let their Realtor know that I am still taking care of their past clients.

I know my business model isn't anything new, but it did allow me to reach that "80/20" after only 2 years.
    Just a question about the free one year termite warranty.

Why on earth would you do that. No matter how good you look for termites they could already be in a wall or several places in the home. They could be there for a long period of time before they even show evidence of being there.

Are YOU personally guarantying there are no termites and if they show up YOU will treat them for free or is this an outside company doing so?

Just a question about the free one year termite warranty.

Why on earth would you do that. No matter how good you look for termites they could already be in a wall or several places in the home. They could be there for a long period of time before they even show evidence of being there.

Are YOU personally guarantying there are no termites and if they show up YOU will treat them for free or is this an outside company doing so?
    A warranty is not a guarantee, especially a free warranty.

I know of warranties that can be purchased that require an extensive inspection first, all recommended repairs must be made and the repairs must be inspected prior to coverage. Then if you have a claim, the claim is inspected; if the warranty company is liable, there are very clear limits for the amount to be paid.

Another reason for a warranty is to assist in a resale.

If a buyer is concerned about something and you show a warranty against such defect, it can be helpful.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    A warranty is not a guarantee, especially a free warranty.

I know of warranties that can be purchased that require an extensive inspection first, all recommended repairs must be made and the repairs must be inspected prior to coverage. Then if you have a claim, the claim is inspected; if the warranty company is liable, there are very clear limits for the amount to be paid.

Another reason for a warranty is to assist in a resale.

If a buyer is concerned about something and you show a warranty against such defect, it can be helpful.
    Now warranties I hear about all the time. 1 year 5 year 10 year. All this is after some kind of treatment. Anything else is useless if you have to keep putting money out. I've seen some termite warranty that home inspectors offer. They are very limited and money does have to be paid out. If something is found a percentage has to be paid to do that treatment. Then if you want a warranty to continue you have to have an inspection every 3 moths or yealy which that will cost you as well.. That is like home inspectors offering 200 percent guarantee if people are not satisfied before they get the report. How could anyone possibly know if there's satisfied or not before they get the report. And then to get money back they have to sign a disclaimer removing them from all liability. What possible good could not do a client. The only good it does is help the inspectors get a signed contract to do an inspection. Some thing for a 3 month money back guarantee on the home inspection so the client can get another home inspection from another home inspector like that will do any good for the client. Again a complete release of liability.

Hype fluff and mumbo jumbo. Very sad to see that it works very often. I see it all over the internet. Free this and that and warranties and guarantees. They all truly mean not a thing. Now a warranty or guarantee that will outright pay the folks for things the inspector missed without signing a release of liability for anything else to do with the inspection.

Now that is a guarantee.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 12-14-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

The best move I ever made was requiring payment at the time of service. The second best was signing up with Square. Everyone's got a credit card. But there's always an exception to the rule. Closing costs paid by the seller. So I require a check that I just hold pending closing. I don't think you can totally eliminate risk but that's pretty close.

JLMathis

Leigh Goodman Guest

As home inspectors we should have no financial incentive to make the deal happen. Seems like payment at closing would be a financial incentive to see that it does close.

Could accepting payment at closing lead to someone asserting that you did not report something to prevent the deal from falling through?

I tell anyone who asks that it would be a potential conflict of interest to have my fee contingent upon the deal being completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Goodman View Post
    As home inspectors we should have no financial incentive to make the deal happen. Seems like payment at closing would be a financial incentive to see that it does close.

Could accepting payment at closing lead to someone asserting that you did not report something to prevent the deal from falling through?

I tell anyone who asks that it would be a potential conflict of interest to have my fee contingent upon the deal being completed.
    That's an interesting position, that I confess, I had not considered, even the few times I have taken payment at closing. I guess if I had been thinking that way, there might have been a conflict of interest. Now that you have brought it up, and I have thought about it, I wonder if I now have a conflict of interest should I accept payment at closing again.

Sheesh, you just made my complicated job a little more complicated.

Nahhhh, the truth is, no one inspection is worth the complications that can arise from doing a compromised inspection and no realtor sends you enough business to justify the trouble you can get into for doing compromised inspections.

Still, that is a good argument for ending the payment at closing discussion and I'll use it in the future.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.