Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Mueller Services Inc. - Insurance Loss Control Surveys

I'm pretty sure the fees charged insurers also varies with the company. One that has a whole lot of business to offer Mueller will get a better deal than a small insurer that only pays for 500reports/month. Mueller may also sweeten the deal by adding "extras" like tagged photos to get and keep clients. Keep in mind that Mueller is competing with other firms for insurers' business. One way they can undercut others' bids is by paying low fees to FRs.

The newsletter will not determine staffing, no, but I think it's possible it could improve company loyalty and morale. Probably not so much for those who've been FRs for years, but I remember when I started I really felt isolated and unappreciated, a cog in the machine. I would have liked even to be able to see what my manager looked like, make him more human (now there are photos on the new site). I think it does make a psychological difference just to be acknowledged as part of the company as a whole, at least for some people. It's different for those posting here at the moment because they have been around a while, are used to things, and have other more pressing concerns.

Just having a place to comment apart from one's manager is a good thing, I think...although it's hard to say how seriously they take them.

OREP Insurance
    Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

While seeking answers to the treatment of field reps, this forum has been a great asset. It shows that the company receives a failing grade in how it treats and compensates the field rep. I also found a site that has as many pages as this forum, however it covers some interesting facts regarding employees who have worked or are working for the company and how they rate Mueller. It also gives some good insight:

Mueller Services Jobs | Glassdoor

I've been active in this thread for almost 2 years now, and there have been quite a few people who've posted who are very happy with how much they make, and are generally positive about the company. Most recognize that it isn't perfect, but then, no employer (or employee, for that matter) is.

I found the Glass Door site quite a while ago. As an experiment I plugged in some other companies for comparison. Many didn't do particularly well, even those that are well-known as good employers. Carlos suggested that people who are unhappy are more likely to post comments, and I think there's some truth to that.

As I've said before, I like my job. The amount I make, converted to an hourly wage, isn't much, but that is to some extent my doing. My style isn't to race through cases, and that makes a difference. So does experience. However, the lack of fee increase is definitely a problem.

I just want to be fair, try to give a somewhat balanced picture to potential employees. They should ask during the interview whether there will ever be a pay increase, and see what the interviewer says. Probably that it's something to discuss with the manager once hired!

I think it's interesting looking at the advertisements for FR jobs. In some ads FRs are said to average $12-13/hr. In others, "our reps make an average of $15 per hour with a very achievable $18-$20 per hour for motivated employees." So are they just pulling these averages out of a hat, or does it depend on location? I suppose the latter. FRs in areas with higher cost of living get higher fees.

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 07-30-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

I feel as though I read this forum seeking for tips and ideas to Improve at this position, and I find myself reading through threads of inaccurate information and feeling the need to clarify so many things.

I will spare a lot of comments, in particular about pay (read my previous posts about how compensation works) but instead would like to share what the ideal times are per survey type- provided by my Manager.

In order to achieve 115% or the ideal range for a FR to maximize efficiency:

· Exterior No Diagram (Short): 8 minutes field, 8 minutes web

· Exterior w/ Diagram (Full): 15 minutes field, 15 minutes web

· Interior/Exterior: 22 minutes field, 22 minutes web

· High Value: 60 minutes field, 60 minutes web

These are average, very realistic times. For a newbie fresh out of training? No. For someone with 6+ months experience? Yes.

The exterior No diagrams a.k.a. Occupancy surveys are very easy.

One common mistake for all surveys is taking too many photos not listed under photo requirements or the hazard sheet. This adds unnecessary time to site and web times. Stick to the stamp and photo requirements.

Do I nickel and dime the company to sharpen my pencil, fill up my car with gas, or run to Staples for paper? No. This is not a time clock punching position and its main perk is flexibility. There is give & take. If you want to be compensated to be prepared to work, get a salary job.
    I set my own schedule, get my work done on time, and have the freedom and flexibility to do the minuscule tasks as I am out and about doing personal things.

Do I keep track of mapping and printing my tickets? Yes.

I am excited for the new Phoenix Sketch to see how it operates and to replace Rapid Sketch. I am also thrilled for the program to become fully functional in Google Chrome. It is a lot quicker than IE when uploading photos.

Last edited by Current FR; 08-06-2013 at 07:17 AM.

[QUOTE=Robert Taylor;229745]While seeking answers to the treatment of field reps, this forum has been a great asset. It shows that the company receives a failing grade in how it treats and compensates the field rep. I also found a site that has as many pages as this forum, however it covers some interesting facts regarding employees who have worked or are working for the company and how they rate Mueller. It also gives some good insight:
    -------------------------

You should not form your opinions about the company, compensation, etc based upon these forums/threads but instead based upon your own experiences. If you read every bad review about a product before buying it, you would never spend a dime. Keep in mind - unhappy employees voice their opinions much louder than a happy one.

Regarding the "times" mentioned in the above post- not sure what types of risks you were surveying, but here on the East Coast- NY/NJ area, where the coastal areas routinely have residences that are 5000sf+ (and NOT considered HVR's)- I personally don't consider Mueller's times as very realistic. I could provide numerous examples of multi-level risks, with large angled decking, overhangs, etc.- not even a FR with 5+ years experience (or 10+ in my case) can accurately diagram a 5000+ SF risk, and draw the diagram in 15 minutes. If you are getting these risks surveyed in 15 minutes, you are severely cutting corners, and likely making mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
    Regarding the "times" mentioned in the above post- not sure what types of risks you were surveying, but here on the East Coast- NY/NJ area, where the coastal areas routinely have residences that are 5000sf+ (and NOT considered HVR's)- I personally don't consider Mueller's times as very realistic. I could provide numerous examples of multi-level risks, with large angled decking, overhangs, etc.- not even a FR with 5+ years experience (or 10+ in my case) can accurately diagram a 5000+ SF risk, and draw the diagram in 15 minutes. If you are getting these risks surveyed in 15 minutes, you are severely cutting corners, and likely making mistakes.
    -----------
    John,

i do not cut corners and take pride in the quality reports I provide. I have been out in the field with my Manager and a local trainer - so I can assure you I have an efficient procedure in place.

if you read above in my original post, these are average times. There are occasional homes on the Coast that do take longer than usual, but there are also times I receive simple homes that don't take as long.

To be clear, the times listed above are from my Manager for ideal efficiency. These are not my personal #s although I do fall within the range.

[QUOTE=Current FR;230109]
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    While seeking answers to the treatment of field reps, this forum has been a great asset. It shows that the company receives a failing grade in how it treats and compensates the field rep. I also found a site that has as many pages as this forum, however it covers some interesting facts regarding employees who have worked or are working for the company and how they rate Mueller. It also gives some good insight:
    -------------------------

You should not form your opinions about the company, compensation, etc based upon these forums/threads but instead based upon your own experiences. If you read every bad review about a product before buying it, you would never spend a dime. Keep in mind - unhappy employees voice their opinions much louder than a happy one.
    If that's the case, why should people listen to you?

Those times may be average and realistic for some, but not for others; I don't believe they are company-wide averages. That's why they call them "goals."

If you are not reporting time for everything you do in the course of the job, your minutes are not accurate. I suspect that is a great source of error in their "statistics."

- James Burgh, 1754.

[QUOTE=Kristi Silber;230219]
    Quote Originally Posted by Current FR View Post

If that's the case, why should people listen to you?

Those times may be average and realistic for some, but not for others; I don't believe they are company-wide averages. That's why they call them "goals."

If you are not reporting time for everything you do in the course of the job, your minutes are not accurate. I suspect that is a great source of error in their "statistics."
    -----------

I am not stating that you should listen to me. I am simply sharing information supplied by my Manager as the communication is fantastic and has been well above par from previous Managers. I feel company-wide there is great disconnect and lack of communication between Managers and Field Reps.

I think most field reps are hired and blindly put into the field with lack of direction. The information I provide should help clarify a lot of misconceptions. It appears, and in my personal experience, not all Managers take the necessary time to provide answers and/or the field reps don't approach Managers with their concerns.

Last edited by Current FR; 08-06-2013 at 08:50 PM.

[QUOTE=Current FR;230220]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post

-----------
    I feel company-wide there is great disconnect and lack of communication between Managers and Field Reps.

I think most field reps are hired and blindly put into the field with lack of direction. It appears, and in my personal experience, not all Managers take the necessary time to provide answers and/or the field reps don't approach Managers with their concerns.
    Its nice to hear that you have a manager who is connected, it would be good to hear that about all managers. I can assure you that there are those managers when you ask a question either directly or through email you receive a snide reply back which sets a negative stage where a FR will avoid asking questions in the future. This is counterproductive for everyone involved. Those who oversee the managers do not query the FR's to see how responsive the managers are or ask what could be improved.

While you mention many of the benefits, I believe most FR agree they like the job, they like the benefits of setting their own schedules etc... The one thing that you hear constantly is the lack of compensation compared to other companies. Happy FR's do better jobs, speak highly of the company and generally do better in the field and with their reports.

If you only work for Mueller then the compensation might be okay. My experience has been other companies pay you for your time when you are making repeated calls to individuals attempting to schedule interior inspections. After x amount of times and contact with the agent you are reimbursed for your time when you cannot schedule the appointment In doing larger risks, many companies pay you x-amount when you exceed say 4000 sf and add additional payment due to the size of the risk. When you exceed the 50 mile radius for inspections, you are compensated appropriately. While I like working for Mueller there is still areas of improvement that could be made, and very likely these forums would have very few visitors posting concerns about the operation of the company. Maybe its time for Mueller to do a survey of the field reps and see how the majority feel they are treated by the company, managers etc.. This would give those in power an understanding of how the FRs perceive their treatment and even offer solutions to problems that have plagued the company.

[QUOTE=Robert Taylor;230224]

Its nice to hear that you have a manager who is connected, it would be good to hear that about all managers. I can assure you that there are those managers when you ask a question either directly or through email you receive a snide reply back which sets a negative stage where a FR will avoid asking questions in the future. This is counterproductive for everyone involved. Those who oversee the managers do not query the FR's to see how responsive the managers are or ask what could be improved.

While you mention many of the benefits, I believe most FR agree they like the job, they like the benefits of setting their own schedules etc... The one thing that you hear constantly is the lack of compensation compared to other companies. Happy FR's do better jobs, speak highly of the company and generally do better in the field and with their reports.

If you only work for Mueller then the compensation might be okay. My experience has been other companies pay you for your time when you are making repeated calls to individuals attempting to schedule interior inspections. After x amount of times and contact with the agent you are reimbursed for your time when you cannot schedule the appointment In doing larger risks, many companies pay you x-amount when you exceed say 4000 sf and add additional payment due to the size of the risk. When you exceed the 50 mile radius for inspections, you are compensated appropriately. While I like working for Mueller there is still areas of improvement that could be made, and very likely these forums would have very few visitors posting concerns about the operation of the company. Maybe its time for Mueller to do a survey of the field reps and see how the majority feel they are treated by the company, managers etc.. This would give those in power an understanding of how the FRs perceive their treatment and even offer solutions to problems that have plagued the company.

I haven't read all of this stuff as there is way too much but I write down every second I spend working on any case including phone calls, drive time, time on site etc. I then bill them for that time and get reimbursed for mileage. Is it great money that will make me rich? NO, but its better then working at most part time jobs that pay less and you have to drive on your dime to and fro and work a set schedule. If you aren't happy then leave its that simple. I have been with Mueller for right at 3 years now and its a great part time job I can work as much or as little as I like on the days I choose to work at the times I choose. What's not to like about that? Its perfect for the right person.

Lucas Dayvolt Guest

I have been reading the above posts, and I know this is slightly diverting from what you guys are talking about, but I want to put in my imput.

I started 3 weeks ago, and I like the job, sometimes appointments are a hassle, but it usually can be resolved with a little detective work... (Phone numbers, no-answers, etc.)

Seeing as I have a small budget every month, I seem to be content with it...Considering the work I have been getting. I run a decent car, so gas isnt a HUGE problem, it's still a pain in the rear though...

Training was...Well, it was like high school, only instead of getting by with a D, you need an A to move on. The one-on-one training was pretty good. They paid for lodging and did compensate the gas going to-and-from the training site. Trainer was VERY nice. I couldnt have asked for anyone else to train, manager came down to meet me as well. She was also nice. Seemed like she wanted to help rather than hurt, didnt seem like she was just here because of her job, if that makes any sense.

They dont reimburse mileage, though they deduct it from checks and give it back, so it is non-taxable. I havent had many problems with going into "funky" neighborhoods, though I am not intimidated by those neighborhoods...So that really isnt a problem for me.

I've been completing exteriors in about 13 minutes, and INT/EXTs in about 25 minutes...My time has been improving over the 3 weeks. I havent done any commercials, it's been strictly residentials, mainly EXTs and OCCs, some INT/EXTs...Nothing other than those though.

Pay is 6/13/26 for me. (Occupancy/EXTs/INT-EXTS) My cases have been gradually growing (Started as 11, jumped to 18, jumped to 27...We'll see tomorrow how many I get) but the work for me is fun. I started with no experience, and so far it's been very educational for me, just how homes are built in general.

Figuring out materials/types isnt too bad, you can usually tell when the houses are built in my area just by looking at them (They seem to have 3 big groups...The 1920's-40's, the 1970's, and the 2000's...Not a whole lot in between), the only pains I have had are all the complex houses, with 23 bay windows, 17 different shape variations for one side, and 3 stories that have to be diagrammed as such, though it hasnt been a HUGE pain, but it's something I am getting used to.

QA....Dont even get me started.

Long story short, it seems like it's just time management that is key in all these. I havent had any frustrations or any bad experiences yet, and I am still learning. Definitely beats the Pizza job I used to have...

Last edited by Lucas Dayvolt; 08-08-2013 at 12:44 AM.

[QUOTE=Jim Starkey;230234]

I write down every second I spend working on any case including phone calls, drive time, time on site etc. I then bill them for that time and get reimbursed for mileage. Is it great money that will make me rich? No
    Jim for those working a hourly rate it is probably is pretty good. For those working a flat rate, you do not get to charge for everything. You pay for gas, maintenance and repairs out of your own pocket.(No mileage reimbursement) In doing reports the standard report gives you x dollars. Mueller then adds brush supplements and other additional requests on your inspection without any compensation to pay for the additional time that you are you spend in the field collecting the information or importing it into the report.

[QUOTE=Robert Taylor;230312]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Starkey View Post

Jim for those working a hourly rate it is probably is pretty good. For those working a flat rate, you do not get to charge for everything. You pay for gas, maintenance and repairs out of your own pocket.(No mileage reimbursement) In doing reports the standard report gives you x dollars. Mueller then adds brush supplements and other additional requests on your inspection without any compensation to pay for the additional time that you are you spend in the field collecting the information or importing it into the report.

----------

Just to be clear, you are referring to compensation as if you were an Independent Contractor. If you are fee based, you still have non-taxable mileage (whichiswhy you report it with each survey)and have an hourly rate (also known as a minimum threshold -an hourly rate you will never make less than). The idea of being fee based, you should never hit your minimum threshold unless you take too long on surveys.

In a nutshell, there are 3 ways to be hired:
    *Hourly - but can still make case fees. Typically when hired hourly, you live in a rural area and have a lot of drive time and have a slimer chance of making fees.
    *Fee based with minimum threshold
    *IC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Dayvolt View Post
    I have been reading the above posts, and I know this is slightly diverting from what you guys are talking about, but I want to put in my imput.

I started 3 weeks ago, and I like the job, sometimes appointments are a hassle, but it usually can be resolved with a little detective work... (Phone numbers, no-answers, etc.)

Seeing as I have a small budget every month, I seem to be content with it...Considering the work I have been getting. I run a decent car, so gas isnt a HUGE problem, it's still a pain in the rear though...

Training was...Well, it was like high school, only instead of getting by with a D, you need an A to move on. The one-on-one training was pretty good. They paid for lodging and did compensate the gas going to-and-from the training site. Trainer was VERY nice. I couldnt have asked for anyone else to train, manager came down to meet me as well. She was also nice. Seemed like she wanted to help rather than hurt, didnt seem like she was just here because of her job, if that makes any sense.

They dont reimburse mileage, though they deduct it from checks and give it back, so it is non-taxable. I havent had many problems with going into "funky" neighborhoods, though I am not intimidated by those neighborhoods...So that really isnt a problem for me.

I've been completing exteriors in about 13 minutes, and INT/EXTs in about 25 minutes...My time has been improving over the 3 weeks. I havent done any commercials, it's been strictly residentials, mainly EXTs and OCCs, some INT/EXTs...Nothing other than those though.

Pay is 6/13/26 for me. (Occupancy/EXTs/INT-EXTS) My cases have been gradually growing (Started as 11, jumped to 18, jumped to 27...We'll see tomorrow how many I get) but the work for me is fun. I started with no experience, and so far it's been very educational for me, just how homes are built in general.

Figuring out materials/types isnt too bad, you can usually tell when the houses are built in my area just by looking at them (They seem to have 3 big groups...The 1920's-40's, the 1970's, and the 2000's...Not a whole lot in between), the only pains I have had are all the complex houses, with 23 bay windows, 17 different shape variations for one side, and 3 stories that have to be diagrammed as such, though it hasnt been a HUGE pain, but it's something I am getting used to.

QA....Dont even get me started.

Long story short, it seems like it's just time management that is key in all these. I havent had any frustrations or any bad experiences yet, and I am still learning. Definitely beats the Pizza job I used to have...

------------

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insight. I hope as a new rep you learn ways to become a better FR through tips on this site. Please feel free to share any tips you have found that work well for you when completing surveys.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone utilized PhoenixMobile yet? What are your thoughts? I have played around with the program, but there is a learning curve!

[QUOTE=Current FR;230335]

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone utilized PhoenixMobile yet? What are your thoughts? I have played around with the program, but there is a learning curve!

I gave it a try - wasn't overly impressed, but at least it's not a big step back! I love that once it's actually rolled out in my cases, I'll be able to use Chrome 100%, but other than that, I don't think it's any quicker to use. I was hoping they would fix some of the quirks with the old one, such as labels not being centered (save time dragging them around), or possibly make it smart enough to automatically delete overlapping dimension numbers. I'm also not a big fan of having to type the numbers for angles, but I'm sure I'll get over that. I think they didn't really intend to make it quicker to use on a PC - it's squarely aimed at being used on a mobile device, which seems like it would still be rather clunky to use in the field.

[QUOTE=Joseph Dalessio;230342]

I gave it a try - wasn't overly impressed, but at least it's not a big step back! I love that once it's actually rolled out in my cases, I'll be able to use Chrome 100%, but other than that, I don't think it's any quicker to use. I was hoping they would fix some of the quirks with the old one, such as labels not being centered (save time dragging them around), or possibly make it smart enough to automatically delete overlapping dimension numbers. I'm also not a big fan of having to type the numbers for angles, but I'm sure I'll get over that. I think they didn't really intend to make it quicker to use on a PC - it's squarely aimed at being used on a mobile device, which seems like it would still be rather clunky to use in the field.
    ------------
    I read Field reps have been using PhoenixMobile as a test product in the field for the past few months. Hopefully the quirks are worked out for the most part before being fully released with the forms.

I am also pleased to ditch IE and work solely in Chrome. It will save some time as Chrome uploads photos quicker anyhow. Have you completed the PhoenixSketch training module yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Veteran Field Rep View Post
    Not sure if it is so much greed as it is an outrageous disconnect from the economic realities for the 2013 field rep. I knew the end was near for me when a Regional Supervisor blurted out that $20 an hour was 'good money'....like Ive said before, maybe in Albany NY it is, but not in CT, and not in most of this great country I'm sure.

Is it better than min wage? Yes. Is it better than fast food wages? Yes.

But for a seasoned professional with a mortgage, a run rate equating to $41K a year is disassociated from sensibility. I refuse to work for hourly wages with any of my accounts. My effective gross hourly rate based on flat fees in relatively dense suburban settings: $90 /hr. Enough said.
    I am also in New England. Has this spring and summer been slower than usual for work? It has been for me, and certainly not because of my stats. Thanks

How do folks feel about getting no compensation whatsoever for a close out? It's extremely costly to expend time, gas, and wear and tear on my vehicle only to have the policyholder decline the survey, advise that they've switched insurance carriers, or arrive at a property under construction, etc.

FrankEStein Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Eastie View Post
    I am also in New England. Has this spring and summer been slower than usual for work? It has been for me, and certainly not because of my stats. Thanks
    Hi Mike; Feel free to email me, I'm in the northeast area as well. FES852 at the yahooooo email address, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dirk View Post
    How do folks feel about getting no compensation whatsoever for a close out? It's extremely costly to expend time, gas, and wear and tear on my vehicle only to have the policyholder decline the survey, advise that they've switched insurance carriers, or arrive at a property under construction, etc.
    I add the time to another job if I have too I don't work for free, sorry but use your brain my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Starkey View Post
    I add the time to another job if I have too I don't work for free, sorry but use your brain my friend.
    I get paid by the completed case, not by the time that I have worked.

I get paid by the completed case, not by the time that I have worked.
    Why would you do that? I would expect you eat a lot of time by doing that. I get paid by the hour and miles driven so if I drive a lot and get to a large house that takes a lone while I get paid for my time. You should talk to them about changing the way they pay you. I would never do it that way as I'm in a rural area and have lots of drive time involved and miles. I surely wouldn't stick around if It was any other way its barely worth it the way I get paid.

Scott: I think that many are extremely frustrated with Mueller's lack of compensation in these incidents. I know that after spending considerable amount of time making calls to insured, agent, driving to risk to see if I could get an answer, I had to close out a case. Being a flat rater, I do not get compensated for anything and cannot attach it to other cases as some have recommended. Mueller is the only company that I work for that refuses to pay you for doing business and only compensates you when the case is completed. I have gone the rounds with the manager who literally gets angry if you question him about compensation on these issues. I also like it when you refuse a case when you will take a hit financially. Example. One case in queue, have to drive 25 miles one way for a 6.00 compensation. Time and gas do not add up to making this worth the time to complete. Times limits are also imposed so you cannot leave it for a week when other work comes in. Just look at how much gas costs and the lack of increasing your wages or flat rate fees to correspond.

Scott: I think that many are extremely frustrated with Mueller's lack of compensation in these incidents. I know that after spending considerable amount of time making calls to insured, agent, driving to risk to see if I could get an answer, I had to close out a case. Being a flat rater, I do not get compensated for anything and cannot attach it to other cases as some have recommended. Mueller is the only company that I work for that refuses to pay you for doing business and only compensates you when the case is completed. I have gone the rounds with the manager who literally gets angry if you question him about compensation on these issues. I also like it when you refuse a case when you will take a hit financially. Example. One case in queue, have to drive 25 miles one way for a 6.00 compensation. Time and gas do not add up to making this worth the time to complete. Times limits are also imposed so you cannot leave it for a week when other work comes in. Just look at how much gas costs and the lack of increasing your wages or flat rate fees to correspond.
    There are two simple fixes for this problem. 1 go to an hourly + mileage field rep or 2. Quit. You guys act like your imprisoned and have to do this work whether you like it or not but guess what? You don't. QUIT if you don't like it!

I was hired as an hourly, however Mueller did the switcheroo without any notification and shoved the flat rate despite the contract that was signed. Tried that it did not work. And in reference to just quitting, I believe that is the easy way out. We are trying to make things better by discussing issues and going through management to enact a positive working environment. I am glad that you are happy with your situation with Mueller, however its easy to say just quit. Its even easier when you are not having some of the issues that others are describing.

Anonymous FR Guest

Speaking as someone who has worked for Mueller for over 4 years, I can tell you that some of the information in this thread is excellent, while some is quite inaccurate. I really like some of the time saving pointers, but the pay structure is widely misunderstood.

Mueller has both I/C's and employees. I/C's can negotiate their own case fees and get no mileage deduction. Case fees are typically up to a few dollars more for I/C's than for employees to compensate for this. I/C requirements vary by state. All employees are technically fee based with a minimum hourly rate. Those who think of themselves as "fee based" typically have a lower hourly minimum. In all cases as an employee, you will receive the greater of your total fees for the week (after mileage is deducted), or your hours reported multiplied by your minimum hourly rate. Your hourly rate is calculated AFTER mileage is deducted from your total fees. Mileage is NOT added back. If your case fees more than cover your mileage and your minimum hourly rate, you get a "Production Bonus". If your case fees are not enough to cover your minimum hourly rate and mileage, you must be paid a "Mueller Contribution". An example illustrates this best:

Total weekly case fees: $300.00
    Mileage: -$50.00
    Net Case Fees: $250.00

Other Expenses?? Subtract here to see your actual hourly rate!

Sample 1:

Hours reported: 15
    Hourly rate calculated: $16.67 (Net case fees divided by hours reported)

If you were promised $15.00/hr for 15 hours worked, you would normally gross $225.00. For this sample, you would receive $225.00 based on your hours (regular), plus a production bonus of $25.00, totaling your net case fees (gross earnings) of $250.00.

Sample 2:

Hours reported: 20
    Hourly rate calculated: $12.50

If you were promised the same $15.00 per hour and worked 20 hours, your gross earnings must be $300.00. For this sample, you would receive your $250.00 for net case fees (regular) plus a Mueller contribution of $50.00 to total the $300.00 gross earnings that you were promised.

Obviously, the lower the hourly rate you are promised, the more often you will receive a "production bonus", and the less likely you will require a contribution. You will also note that the more efficient Field Representative in this example makes more per hour, but grosses less overall for the same amount of cases. If you are wise, you will make sure to deduct the cost of all of the expenses that you are not reimbursed for that Mueller claims are included in the case fees such as paper, ink, camera batteries, high speed internet, cell phone, and wear and tear on all of your equipment, when you use this equation. Once that is done, most FR's will realize that they are actually making a lot less per hour than they thought.

Your job satisfaction with Mueller will depend on your territory, your manager, your minimum hourly rate, and your need to feel appreciated. As an employee, the case fees are the same for most FR's, no matter where you live. If you service an area where there are a lot of tract homes in a small geographical area, and you receive a nice mix of cases, you may be able to make a decent hourly wage. If you have to do a lot of driving, or have mostly appointment cases for companies with lots of extra requirements such as USAA, you will make less per hour based on the total case fees. Given the same hourly rate of pay, those in sparsely populated rural areas, or areas with a good number of large, custom homes will generally require more Mueller Contributions and be pressured more than those in densely populated areas with cookie cutter homes, because the extra time and mileage required to complete cases means that they cost Mueller more per case.

By the way, making a decent wage and meeting expectations at Mueller just got harder, as all of the fees have recently been reduced for new FR's only. Exteriors are now $11, Interiors $22, and Exteriors with no diagrams $8. This means in order to make the same hourly rate, new FR's must go even faster than the existing FR's. The web times and field times expected by Mueller per case, as quoted on this site are just that, Mueller's expectations, not historical averages. They represent the most optimistic completion time possible for a case, not the most realistic. For a variety of reasons, the majority of FR's do not meet these time expectations, and many must be paid additional money above their case fees to get their minimum hourly rate. Many feel pressured to cut corners, or not report all of their time in order to keep their jobs.

Pressure from management has been increasing in order to lower costs. If you are recording times beyond Mueller's expectations, and you are not yet receiving pressure, you probably will be soon. Mueller is on a cost cutting mission that will eventually be felt by all. At some point soon everyone will be expected to own a mobile device to do cases in the field. Once those using mobile devices in the field start posting overall faster times, Mueller will lower their time expectations (and possibly the fees) for all FR's accordingly. The new sketch tool is not better or faster, it was just changed so it will work with the mobile application. It has limitations that will frustrate experienced FR's.

From what I have seen, Mueller is not doing anything illegal, but they do foster an environment where they expect a lot and give absolutely nothing in return but criticism - errors, rejections, complaints, and pressure to be more efficient in everything you do. (QA is a story for another day.) In the years that I have worked for Mueller, they have increased the amount of work and time required to complete cases substantially, and never once raised the case fees. Photo labeling, extra diagrams, and various supplements have all been added since I started for no additional fee. More extra work is on the way, gas prices and other expenses keep going up, and yet the case fees have just been cut.

If you work and live in an area where Mueller's formula works for you, then go for it! You will get paid faithfully every week as shown, and have a flexible part-time job that you may even enjoy. Just don't expect any loyalty, appreciation or raises in return. There is an FR on every corner, and they are more than happy to replace you with someone who will get lower fees. The rest of us will decide that this job is not worth the pay, and this company just doesn't care, and we will find employment elsewhere. Mueller's revolving door will keep spinning, as long as there are employees willing to walk through it.

Armed and educated with the facts, we can all make the decision that is best for us!

Last edited by Anonymous FR; 09-15-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Very nice post Anonymous FR

I’ve been with Mueller now for over 2 years after shutting down my construction company of 30 years due to the bad economy. After shutting down my business, I was without employment for about a year when I saw an ad for Mueller on Craig’s List. I took the opportunity because I had become very used to a life without the restraints of a 9 to 5 job. And while I’ve always understood the pay structure at Mueller, I too have seen the decreased fees and increased work requirements. I’m on my 5th manager now (who is actually very good). I live in an area where there is nothing but cows and corn so I accept work in 6 counties in 2 states to be able to get enough cases.

I Travel an average of 600 miles per week. I get a lot of USAA appointment cases and everyone around here has a wood stove. Many of the exterior cases I get are complex houses valued between $600,000 to $1,300,000 so between drive time, measuring, diagramming, and report writing, I could spend 1.5 to 2 hours on those reports. I’ve tried the Monday, Wednesday, Friday “on the road” and Tuesday, Thursday “in the office” method as others have suggested, but with all the appointment cases I get, that method has not worked for me because the policy holders call and complain that I’m inflexible and then Mueller calls and says that there are 6 work days that should be utilized to make the appointments. I’ve also never reported my actual times to keep below the radar.

I went out a few weeks ago and got my first smart phone (OK, you can laugh) thinking that I could save some time with this new Phoenix Mobile only to find out it is not compatible with Android smart phones. And yes, Phoenix Sketch is such a downgrade from Rapid Sketch. Pure crap! I actually own the full version of Rapid Sketch. It’s an awesome sketch tool and I use it for commercial inspections I get from another vendor. Too bad Mueller did away with it.

THIS SECTION IS FOR MUELLER: Since I’m sure Mueller management reads this thread, I’m going to post some things about other vendors that I get inspection requests from.

1. I get commercial inspection requests from another vendor who pays $75 to $125 per inspection.
    2. Another vendor has a fee structure based on 4 “Areas”. Area 1 is for densely populated cities and pays less due to less travel and easy diagramming. The fees increase as they move to Area 4 which is remote locations with lots of travel and complex diagramming.
    3. Another vendor pays additional fee for wood burning supplement for both interior and exterior inspections - $16.
    4. Another vendor pays $55 for interior/exterior inspections.
    5. Another vendor pays $90-$120 for high value inspections.
    6. Another vendor pays $3 for a close-out and $9 to $13 for a close-out with a field visit, and another pays $20 for a non-productive report..
    7. With the other vendors, I have access to the Quality Control representatives via email, phone, and even cell phone. Many times, they will call me with a question before rejecting. We work as a team and many have worked in the field for tens of years and actually know what they are doing. I rarely get rejections with them.
    8. The other vendors do not have this convoluted rejection/completion/overdue system which is pointless because you're scores are based on unqualified QA, and policy holders who don't call you back or are never going to let you in the house anyway.
    9. With the other vendors, it is not uncommon for me to get unsolicited emails letting me know that I'm doing a good job.

There is one vendor that has an awesome report writing system that requires no redundant data entry and when you "save" the diagram, all the square footage for the house, decks, porches, etc., are instantly calculated, totaled, and entered into the RCT forms. You can literally do a high value report in 15-20 minutes, an interior/exterior can be done in less than 10 minutes, and an exterior can be done in less than 5.

For those of you Mueller reps who are discouraged, just know that there are other vendors out there and the ones that I get work from are national.

With that said, I’m going to follow up on a much earlier post I made in which I stated that working with Mueller was part of an overall plan to ultimately get my NJ State Home Inspectors license. The process in NJ is lengthy and expensive which includes a mandatory 140 hour in-class course, 40 hours of supervised non-paid home inspections with a NJ licensed and State approved home inspector, and passing the National Home Inspectors exam (brutal exam even with 32 years in construction).

I am proud to say that after 6 months and about & $8000 in expenses, I have acquired my NJ Home Inspection license. I will be able to do an inspection which may typically take 2+ hours plus another 2 hours for the report and charge on average about $500 per inspection which is average for NJ. Ultimately, I would love to market and grow my business to the point where I could do at least one per day and phase out Mueller, but until that time, I will be here.

Last edited by Roadie; 09-15-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Anonymous FR Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
    Very nice post Anonymous FR

I’ve been with Mueller now for over 2 years after shutting down my construction company of 30 years due to the bad economy. After shutting down my business, I was without employment for about a year when I saw an ad for Mueller on Craig’s List. I took the opportunity because I had become very used to a life without the restraints of a 9 to 5 job. And while I’ve always understood the pay structure at Mueller, I too have seen the decreased fees and increased work requirements. I’m on my 5th manager now (who is actually very good). I live in an area where there is nothing but cows and corn so I accept work in 6 counties in 2 states to be able to get enough cases.

I Travel an average of 600 miles per week. I get a lot of USAA appointment cases and everyone around here has a wood stove. Many of the exterior cases I get are complex houses valued between $600,000 to $1,300,000 so between drive time, measuring, diagramming, and report writing, I could spend 1.5 to 2 hours on those reports. I’ve tried the Monday, Wednesday, Friday “on the road” and Tuesday and Thursday “in the office” method as others have suggested, but with all the appointment cases I get, that method has not worked for me because the policy holders call and complain that I’m inflexible and then Mueller calls and says that there are 6 work days that should be utilized to make the appointments. I’ve also never reported my actual times to keep below the radar.

I went out a few weeks ago and got my first smart phone (OK, you can laugh) thinking that I could save some time with this new Phoenix Mobile only to find out it is not compatible with Android smart phones. And yes, Phoenix Sketch is such a downgrade from Rapid Sketch. Pure crap! I actually own the full version of Rapid Sketch. It’s an awesome sketch tool and I use it for commercial inspections I get from another vendor. Too bad Mueller did away with it.

THIS SECTION IS FOR MUELLER: Since I’m sure Mueller management reads this thread, I’m going to post some things about other vendors that I get inspection requests from.

1. I get commercial inspection requests from another vendor who pays $75 to $125 per inspection.
    2. Another vendor has a fee structure based on 4 “Areas”. Area 1 is for densely populated cities and pays less due to less travel and easy diagramming. The fees increase as they move to Area 4 which is remote locations with lots of travel and complex diagramming.
    3. Another vendor pays additional fee for wood burning supplement for both interior and exterior inspections - $16.
    4. Another vendor pays $55 for interior/exterior inspections.
    5. Another vendor pays $90-$120 for high value inspections.
    6. Another vendor pays $3 for a close-out and $9 to $13 for a close-out with a field visit, and another pays $20 for a non-productive report..
    7. With the other vendors, I have access to the Quality Control representatives via email, phone, and even cell phone. Many times, they will call me with a question before rejecting. We work as a team and many have worked in the field for tens of years and actually know what they are doing. I rarely get rejections.
    8. The other vendors do not have this convoluted rejection/completion/overdue system which is pointless because you're scores are based on unqualified QA, and policy holders who don't call you back or are never going to let you in the house anyway.
    9. With the other vendors, it is not uncommon for me to get unsolicited emails letting me know that I'm doing a good job.

There is one vendor that has an awesome report writing system that requires no redundant data entry and when you "save" the diagram, all the square footage for the house, decks, porches, etc., are instantly calculated, totaled, and entered into the RCT forms. You can literally do a high value report in 15-20 minutes, an interior/exterior can be done in less than 10 minutes, and an exterior can be done in less than 5.

For those of you Mueller reps who are discouraged, just know that there are other vendors out there and the ones that I get work from are national.

With that said, I’m going to follow up on a much earlier post I made in which I stated that working with Mueller was part of an overall plan to ultimately get my NJ State Home Inspectors license. The process in NJ is lengthy and expensive which includes a mandatory 140 hour in-class course, 40 hours of supervised non-paid home inspections with a NJ licensed and State approved home inspector, and passing the National Home Inspectors exam (brutal exam even with 32 years in construction).

I am proud to say that after 6 months and about & $8000 in expenses, I have acquired my NJ Home Inspection license. I will be able to do an inspection which may typically take 2+ hours plus another 2 hours for the report and charge on average about $500 per inspection which is average for NJ. Ultimately, I would love to market grow my business to the point where I could do at least one per day and phase out Mueller, but until that time, I will be here.
    Congratulations Roadie! Sounds like you are on to bigger and better things!

Some good new posts here. I had no idea they dropped the new FR fees down to 11 for ext and 22 for int - that's a bit (a lot?) absurd. Where are those extra profits going? Or has Mueller been loosing money on the 13/26 fee structure for the past 5-10 years?

Roadie, what are some of those other vendors you mention? Feel free to PM me if you want - I'm a bit curious as to how they are paying better, while still remaining competitive with a company like Mueller (who is apparently just trying to undercut everyone else).

Mueller Field Rep NY Guest

Hi! I am a newbie! Made it through the training, and was supposed to meet with my manager for training, but he called 30 mins prior to our meeting to cancel. Boo! Will be going out tomorrow for the first time to do some exteriors. I have read the great advice on using a routing software, and doing cases that are in the same area. I appreciate all of the knowledge. Any other helpful tactics and advice are much appreciated!!

Here is to a good week!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dalessio View Post
    Some good new posts here. I had no idea they dropped the new FR fees down to 11 for ext and 22 for int - that's a bit (a lot?) absurd. Where are those extra profits going? Or has Mueller been loosing money on the 13/26 fee structure for the past 5-10 years?

Roadie, what are some of those other vendors you mention? Feel free to PM me if you want - I'm a bit curious as to how they are paying better, while still remaining competitive with a company like Mueller (who is apparently just trying to undercut everyone else).

Sorry, but very misleading Roadie.
    By "other vendors", Roadie is referring to banks, mortgage lendors, etc.- NOT companies that do risk replacement assessment, such as Mueller. There are exactly zero companies that would pay the rates Roadie mentioned, in the same business as Mueller. I know, because I have done the work he mentioned.
    Should also point out- you won't get that type of work without continuing education, a real estate salesperson license (yes, that's what some of the lendors require to conduct their "inspections"), etc. Not the training that Mueller, or other similar companies provide.

Quote Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
    Sorry, but very misleading Roadie.
    By "other vendors", Roadie is referring to banks, mortgage lendors, etc.- NOT companies that do risk replacement assessment, such as Mueller. There are exactly zero companies that would pay the rates Roadie mentioned, in the same business as Mueller. I know, because I have done the work he mentioned.
    Should also point out- you won't get that type of work without continuing education, a real estate salesperson license (yes, that's what some of the lendors require to conduct their "inspections"), etc. Not the training that Mueller, or other similar companies provide.
    Actually John, I'm not referring to banks, mortgage lenders, etc. By "other vendors", I mean other companies that are doing exactly what Mueller is doing. Risk management, loss control, replacement cost valuations. They're just more efficient and pay more.

As far as continuing education, it's no more than Mueller. The exception is the one vendor that I get work from that only does commercial inspections. They require that you have a substantial knowledge pertaining to commercial underwriting.

Last edited by Roadie; 09-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
    Actually John, I'm not referring to banks, mortgage lenders, etc. By "other vendors", I mean other companies that are doing exactly what Mueller is doing. Risk management, loss control, replacement cost valuations. They're just more efficient and pay more.

As far as continuing education, it's no more than Mueller. The exception is the one vendor that I get work from that only does commercial inspections. They require that you have a substantial knowledge pertaining to commercial underwriting.
    I agree with Roadie, I too work for other companies that pay much better for the same work and and often tell you that you do a good job. I never hear anything positive from Mueller, despite the fact that all of my reports are on time, I do good work in the field, etc... I believe that this is one of the biggest complaints from the FR's dealing with Mueller. They continue to pack on more and more work without proper compensation. An example for those who work Allstate Urban cases. FR's are now told that they have only 3 days to get into the field, conduct the inspections and return them. If for some reason QA does not evaluate your report within their time frame, then it comes back on the FR as being late, despite the fact that you did it on time. Mueller does not pay any extra when they have dropped the standard time frame to a Rush Service. Imagine going into any other "Professional" office and demanding that they do Rush service on anything. Immediately you are tacked on with a Rush Fee generally 25.00 or more for that service. Mueller does not compensate the FR for the reduction in time.

The other companies that I work for would never think of putting that type of burden on their field reps. They know that this causes problems, reports are done in haste and often are returned with errors. Mueller on the other hand is more concerned with keeping the contract with Allstate instead of thinking or implementing other ways that would keep the client happy, make sure the FRs and QA have ample time to do a correct job and then everyone wins., Instead Mueller continues to implement policies on Allstate that did not work in the past, are not working now and probably will not work in the future. They continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

There is pressure being placed on the Regional guys and gals to keep this contract. When their past changes did not work, then they implement these half baked ideas to keep their bosses happy. Your managers will force feed you saying this will help you when in reality it only helps make money for Mueller. We are supposed to be a team and without the basic principals of teamwork, you will continue to have complaints and people will leave. You will hire less than qualified individuals and the reports that you receive will show that.

I give you an example of Mueller vs. another company. I get paid the same amount on an exterior/diagram with Mueller as I receive for what is termed a drive by. This is taking a couple of photos of a risk and then writing a small report. Do not have to get out of the car unless I decide it is warranted. Report takes less than 1/2 the time Mueller requires. When I make phone calls to schedule an interior and make 4 to 5 calls to the owner and then the agent I get paid what a standard exterior/diagram would pay, but Mueller says it doesn't matter we are not going to pay you unless you actually manage to make an appointment. Under the laws in my State this is work that is performed and compensation is required for any work that you do for the company. It might be legal in New York, but in many States they are violating State Statute and screwing the FR for doing their work.

Until they totally revamp their outdated computer system, understand that FRs need proper training, implement a standard policy book that can be taken into the field and used as a reference, Mueller will continue to loose contracts with the various vendors and stay at the bottom of the list when it is compared to other professional firms.

A physical comprehensive reference guide with a detailed index would be extremely helpful. I'd be more efficient and submit less mistakes if one was provided to field reps. More sample diagrams would also be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mueller Field Rep NY View Post
    Hi! I am a newbie! Made it through the training, and was supposed to meet with my manager for training, but he called 30 mins prior to our meeting to cancel. Boo! Will be going out tomorrow for the first time to do some exteriors. I have read the great advice on using a routing software, and doing cases that are in the same area. I appreciate all of the knowledge. Any other helpful tactics and advice are much appreciated!!

Here is to a good week!
    I am still in my 1st week of training, breezed through all the modules but am having a heck of a time with the 14th module. Will get some sleep and attack it in the morning. Maybe I'm just overloaded with info .

Last edited by Mary Ann McQuade; 09-23-2013 at 08:08 PM.

HEY ALL SORRY REAL BUSY--WILL GET BACK ON CVF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ann McQuade View Post
    I am still in my 1st week of training, breezed through all the modules but am having a heck of a time with the 14th module. Will get some sleep and attack it in the morning. Maybe I'm just overloaded with info .

Stephen Masek Guest

How much is Mueller getting from the insurance companies for the various categories of inspections? I wonder how they pay / handle areas such as southern California where just travel to and from a property could consume half a day?

Hello all, I am new to the thread so forgive me if some of these have been addressed elsewhere, I came across an opportunity listed on Craigslist for Mueller. I'm in the kind of situation currently where even though the pay seems likely to be low, it's an opportunity i will most like pursue. On first impression, I like two key points. One, I'd be an employee so they'd be deducting taxes, medicare, etc. The second is the degree of flexibility in terms of the actual hours I would need to work, which would help juggle around caring for my toddler and returning to school. What i'd like to know, if anyone can help is how flexible the hours are, can I work as little as ten to fifteen hours? The ad indicates 20 - 25. I have another part time position that I'm hoping will pick up in volume and the pay is a lot better than I could hope from Mueller, but having 2 part time positions would be ideal at this point. Finally, what about vacation time? We have a trip coming up in November that I will need a week off for, I'd prefer to apply and get started beforehand, but i'm leary of asking for vacation within the first 6 months of employment anywhere. Appreicate any help or thoughts anyone is willing to provide!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by mortalone; 09-27-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Anonymous FR Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mortalone View Post
    Hello all, I am new to the thread so forgive me if some of these have been addressed elsewhere, I came across an opportunity listed on Craigslist for Mueller. I'm in the kind of situation currently where even though the pay seems likely to be low, it's an opportunity i will most like pursue. On first impression, I like two key points. One, I'd be an employee so they'd be deducting taxes, medicare, etc. The second is the degree of flexibility in terms of the actual hours I would need to work, which would help juggle around caring for my toddler and returning to school. What i'd like to know, if anyone can help is how flexible the hours are, can I work as little as ten to fifteen hours? The ad indicates 20 - 25. I have another part time position that I'm hoping will pick up in volume and the pay is a lot better than I could hope from Mueller, but having 2 part time positions would be ideal at this point. Finally, what about vacation time? We have a trip coming up in November that I will need a week off for, I'd prefer to apply and get started beforehand, but i'm leary of asking for vacation within the first 6 months of employment anywhere. Appreicate any help or thoughts anyone is willing to provide!

- - - Updated - - -
    This job is usually very flexible, which is really the only good thing about it. It will all depend on your manager and their needs and coverage in the area you will be servicing. Time off is typically not a problem. Keep in mind though that it takes two to three weeks to get through training, which will require you to be available without interruption, or you will be automatically washed out. Make sure to tell your manager about your vacation when you interview with them, so they can work around it. Also, be sure to ask exactly how you will be paid, how many cases a week you can expect, and where those cases will be located. Do the math for yourself and understand that no mater what they tell you, you may not make much more than minimum wage after expenses, depending on the area you will service.

Thanks for your reply! I'm curious, does the field and data work need to happen i sequence, or can i have multiple field visits and do the data entry work at another time or day even? I have a few hours in the early morning, 5am till about 8am, when i could do all the uploads of pictures and data entry,but that would likely not be a good time to make an appointment or go to a home/structure. On the other hand I have a few solid hours in the afternoon on at least two days a week. If the turnaround time doesn't have to be 24 hours, i can see doing the data in the mornings and the field work when i have time in the afternoon. If it can be worked this way, I could likely meet the hourly demands and above, just not sure how flexible "flexible" really means.

Anonymous FR Guest

Thanks for your reply! I'm curious, does the field and data work need to happen i sequence, or can i have multiple field visits and do the data entry work at another time or day even? I have a few hours in the early morning, 5am till about 8am, when i could do all the uploads of pictures and data entry,but that would likely not be a good time to make an appointment or go to a home/structure. On the other hand I have a few solid hours in the afternoon on at least two days a week. If the turnaround time doesn't have to be 24 hours, i can see doing the data in the mornings and the field work when i have time in the afternoon. If it can be worked this way, I could likely meet the hourly demands and above, just not sure how flexible "flexible" really means.
    Field work can be done Monday through Saturday from 9 am to sundown. Online work can be done 24 hours a day seven days a week. They will tell you they want the reports done within 24 hours of the field work, however you actually have until the report is due. They give you ten days for an exterior report, and 17 for an appointment case. A few cases have a 48 hour turn around time. You may or may not see these in your area.

Anonymous FR Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous FR View Post
    Field work can be done Monday through Saturday from 9 am to sundown. Online work can be done 24 hours a day seven days a week. They will tell you they want the reports done within 24 hours of the field work, however you actually have until the report is due. They give you ten days for an exterior report, and 17 for an appointment case. A few cases have a 48 hour turn around time. You may or may not see these in your area.
    Also, in order to be efficient, you will need to do as many cases as you can each time you leave your house. It is best to have a block of at least 4 hours available to do field work. Too many trips to and from your home will not be acceptable to your manager.

Also, in order to be efficient, you will need to do as many cases as you can each time you leave your house. It is best to have a block of at least 4 hours available to do field work. Too many trips to and from your home will not be acceptable to your manager.

I can understand about efficiency, especially since they don't reimburse much if anything for gas. How would they know if I'm making too many trips too and from my home? Is there some kind of logging that needs to be done with times, etc?

Anonymous FR Guest

I can understand about efficiency, especially since they don't reimburse much if anything for gas. How would they know if I'm making too many trips too and from my home? Is there some kind of logging that needs to be done with times, etc?
    On each case you report the date the field work was done, the miles driven, and the time spent in the field and on the website. Manager's get weekly payroll reports showing this data for all of the cases you submit, plus a daily exceptions report that shows anything that is outside of the expected guidelines for time and mileage.

Have you seen the increase in USAA interior reports? More info now required with no increase in pay. What other companies do this type of work?

Last edited by Mike Eastie; 11-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Have you seen the increase in USAA interior reports? More info now required with no increase in pay.
    The trend of increased workload for surveys with no increase in pay (or a decrease, for new reps apparently) has been ongoing for some time now. It really is a shame, since I actually enjoy doing this type of work, but I'm only willing to do it for low pay for so long. I wish I knew somewhere else that payed better and appreciated quality work.

USAA requirements are nothin' compared to the new ones for 3 companies I won't name here. Unbelievable. Worse than High Values.

I don't know about you, but this isn't the way I'm paid....

In all cases as an employee, you will receive the greater of your total fees for the week (after mileage is deducted), or your hours reported multiplied by your minimum hourly rate. Your hourly rate is calculated AFTER mileage is deducted from your total fees. Mileage is NOT added back. What do you mean? You're getting paid less the more you drive??? That would be highly unusual. Besides, some people are in fact reimbursed for mileage; it depends on where you live. If your case fees more than cover your mileage and your minimum hourly rate, you get a "Production Bonus". If your case fees are not enough to cover your minimum hourly rate and mileage, you must be paid a "Mueller Contribution". An example illustrates this best:

Total weekly case fees: $300.00
    Mileage: -$50.00
    Net Case Fees: $250.00 This is GROSS after the mileage is taken out. Net is after they are added back in (untaxed) and taxes, social security, etc. is taken out.

Other Expenses?? Subtract here to see your actual hourly rate!

Sample 1:

Hours reported: 15
    Hourly rate calculated: $16.67 (Net case fees divided by hours reported)

If you were promised $15.00/hr for 15 hours worked, you would normally gross $225.00. For this sample, you would receive $225.00 based on your hours (regular), plus a production bonus of $25.00, totaling your net case fees (gross earnings) of $250.00.
    Net and gross don't have anything to do with whether there's a production bonus or Mueller contribution - that's the adjusted pay. Gross is total pay less mileage. Net is gross minus taxes plus the amount that was removed for mileage. This is the way it's calculated for tax purposes, and that's the way it is on the pay stubs. Mine, anyway.

Sample 2:

Hours reported: 20
    Hourly rate calculated: $12.50

If you were promised the same $15.00 per hour and worked 20 hours, your gross earnings must be $300.00. For this sample, you would receive your $250.00 for net case fees (regular) plus a Mueller contribution of $50.00 to total the $300.00 gross earnings that you were promised.

Obviously, the lower the hourly rate you are promised, the more often you will receive a "production bonus", and the less likely you will require a contribution. You will also note that the more efficient Field Representative in this example makes more per hour, but grosses less overall for the same amount of cases. If you are wise, you will make sure to deduct the cost of all of the expenses that you are not reimbursed for that Mueller claims are included in the case fees such as paper, ink, camera batteries, high speed internet, cell phone, and wear and tear on all of your equipment, when you use this equation. Once that is done, most FR's will realize that they are actually making a lot less per hour than they thought.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Anonymous FR Guest

USAA requirements are nothin' compared to the new ones for 3 companies I won't name here. Unbelievable. Worse than High Values.

I don't know about you, but this isn't the way I'm paid....

Then please share how you ARE paid Kristi. To the best of my knowledge, if you are an employee, this is the only way you are paid. If you are an IC, then of course you just get the case fees. I do not want to be argumentative, but I was a manager, and I had to explain how the pay works to FR's many times. Saw their pay stubs. Did the math.

Mueller is a master at manipulating numbers and keeping their employees in the dark in order to achieve their goals. You will never win with them. Mueller wins, employees lose, every time. Stay if you must, but please do yourself a favor and look for other employment. This company will eventually chew you up and spit you out!

My quibble was with your terminology, not about the general idea. You were using the terms "gross" and "net" wrong. And in your calculation mileage was never added back.

Example

case fees = $170
    time worked = 15 hours
    mileage at $0.40/mi = $20 deduction
    income = $170-$20 = $150
    realized hourly wage = $10/hr
    if the base wage is $12/hr, the company adds enough to make up the difference
    company contribution = $30
    adjusted income =$150 + $30 = $180 gross
    assume 10% taxes, SSA, etc. = $18
    $180 - $18 + $20 mileage "reimbursement" = $188 net

Just clarifying the terms, since that's how it appears on our pay stubs. So you were a manager? Interesting. That's a perspective we haven't seen around here!

- James Burgh, 1754.

Anonymous FR Guest

My quibble was with your terminology, not about the general idea. You were using the terms "gross" and "net" wrong. And in your calculation mileage was never added back.

Example

case fees = $170
    time worked = 15 hours
    mileage at $0.40/mi = $20 deduction
    income = $170-$20 = $150
    realized hourly wage = $10/hr
    if the base wage is $12/hr, the company adds enough to make up the difference
    company contribution = $30
    adjusted income =$150 + $30 = $180 gross
    assume 10% taxes, SSA, etc. = $18

180 - $18 + $20 mileage "reimbursement" = $188 net

Just clarifying the terms, since that's how it appears on our pay stubs. So you were a manager? Interesting. That's a perspective we haven't seen around here!

I followed you right up until the end. Mileage is not added back in, at least not in my state. That's why I hesitate to call it a reimbursement. Yes, I was a FR for several years and then I did field training and management. If anyone has questions about how things work, I am happy to answer!

Mileage not added back in? But that makes absolutely no sense! That would mean that the more you travel, the less you are paid! That couldn't be legal.

It's not obvious from the check stubs, but the

net pay (take-home) =

gross pay + the mileage "reimbursement" amount listed under "Deductions" - taxes

(So, the bottom lines from top section + the middle section - lower section on the right side of the pay stubs)

IF there is no income for training or whatever, the
    gross pay + mileage = case fees.

It's extremely confusing seeing that negative number for "mileage reimbursement" listed under "Deductions"! And they don't show it being added back in anywhere. Very weird. If you do the calculations, though, it works - at least on my stubs.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Anonymous FR Guest

IF there is no income for training or whatever, the
    gross pay + mileage = case fees.

Exactly! Mueller expects the case fees to cover time and mileage. If everyone receives the same case fees, then those that do more driving require more Mueller Contributions to make their hourly rate. These FR's cost Mueller more money and often more pressure is put on them to work faster to make up for it. That is why I say that your territory will determine whether or not you will be happy working for Mueller. In my mind, this cost should be passed on to the customer. If they want a report done out in the middle of nowhere, they should be charged more. Cases should have different fees and time service requirements depending on whether they are urban, rural, or remote. This is not the case for most customers.

[QUOTE= Mueller is a master at manipulating numbers and keeping their employees in the dark in order to achieve their goals. You will never win with them. ![/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right about the treatment of the employees and I.C. personnel. It is a smoke and mirror type act. Think about how many times the survey reports have changed in just the last year, let alone two years. They have never found a consistent and easy way to work the program and keep it functional. They are changing on a weekly basis. Some are sent with directions, others you go in to write a report and find an entirely new section that you have to complete and wonder is this going to come back because there was no training and QA will send anything back it does not understand.

Mueller needs to learn that the FRs are the first line of defense for the company. If they are happy, they spread the good word. If they are unhappy and see that consistent efforts in the field are only met by poor wages and complaints, they will look elsewhere. From a business stance this makes no sense. Mueller actually spends more in the initial training phase for employees compared to other companies. However if they do not look at the FR as an investment, they are doomed to fail.

I would be curious to hear from other FRs some of the absurd things that have been returned by QA.

I had a report returned because there was a political sign in the front yard and QA who did not look closely at the photo thought it was a for sale sign. When you get a return your supervisor doesn't care if it is legitimate or not. Mueller does not allow a challenge of a return. As a result this affects your monthly totals. If an employee were to be released as a result of scores that are not legitimate, I would imagine it could come back to haunt them in the form of a civil action against the company. I hope that they can change, but have seen too much to have any hope of that occurring

Anonymous FR Guest

Mueller needs to learn that the FRs are the first line of defense for the company. If they are happy, they spread the good word. If they are unhappy and see that consistent efforts in the field are only met by poor wages and complaints, they will look elsewhere. From a business stance this makes no sense. Mueller actually spends more in the initial training phase for employees compared to other companies. However if they do not look at the FR as an investment, they are doomed to fail.

I would be curious to hear from other FRs some of the absurd things that have been returned by QA.

You hit the nail on the head! It seems pretty simple, but Mueller just doesn't get it.

Don't even get me started on QA! It is not that manager's don't care about rejections, it is just that they have no power to do anything about them. Your stats are also your manager's stats, so believe me, they care. The problem is we are told not to question QA and to be supportive of them with the FR's. QA has 6 minutes or less to review a case and they are paid on production just like FR's. Their pay is low and they have no field experience. The turnover is as bad as it is for FR's and FR management. There is no quality there. Oh, the QA stories I could tell!

You hit the nail on the head! It seems pretty simple, but Mueller just doesn't get it.

Don't even get me started on QA! It is not that manager's don't care about rejections, it is just that they have no power to do anything about them. Your stats are also your manager's stats, so believe me, they care. The problem is we are told not to question QA and to be supportive of them with the FR's. QA has 6 minutes or less to review a case and they are paid on production just like FR's. Their pay is low and they have no field experience. The turnover is as bad as it is for FR's and FR management. There is no quality there. Oh, the QA stories I could tell!
    QA seems to nee to find petty things in order to validate their jobs. Questioning the lack of certain photos when the stamp does not require the in question photo, and then adding it to your error list is ridiculous. QA people seem to have little idea of what is important and what is not needed.

Hi guys great info here! I currently have a contract with a large competitor of Mueller. The company lost there contracts in my state (NC) so I've been having to drive and stay out of state. I'm currently only doing 250 to 300 homes a month where as in NC I was doing around 450. These are a mix of photos only and exterior sketch.

I applied with Mueller and spoke with a rep earlier this year. They told me flat out I was not qualified.....LOL. I was under the impression that it was because of availability in my area (Charlotte). Anyways does anyone here know a way I can get in contact with the South East regional manager? Distance in not really an issue for me with in reason.

Thanks for any help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan buchanan View Post
    Hi guys great info here! I currently have a contract with a large competitor of Mueller. The company lost there contracts in my state (NC) so I've been having to drive and stay out of state. I'm currently only doing 250 to 300 homes a month where as in NC I was doing around 450. These are a mix of photos only and exterior sketch.

I applied with Mueller and spoke with a rep earlier this year. They told me flat out I was not qualified.....LOL. I was under the impression that it was because of availability in my area (Charlotte). Anyways does anyone here know a way I can get in contact with the South East regional manager? Distance in not really an issue for me with in reason.

Thanks for any help!!
    I live in the northeast and was wondering what are some of the companies that are Muellers competition for this type of work?

I live in the northeast and was wondering what are some of the companies that are Muellers competition for this type of work?
    I've been trying to figure that same thing out - I keep seeing people mention that there are competing companies that pay better, and have an easier to use submission system, but no one will mention what those companies are.

If anyone has questions about how things work, I am happy to answer!
    Anonymous FR, I would like to know if as a manager for Mueller, do you have any info on how Mueller bills a client. For instance, with one company I work for, I get paid extra for any supplements that are added, such as a wood stove supplement and I am sure the company is charging the client for this. Does Mueller charge the clients for added supplements or other additional add-ons (photo descriptions, additional photos, etc), pocketing the extra fees and not passing anything on to the field reps? Or does Mueller promise the client anything they want just to get the contract and stick it to the field reps with more work for the same pay. Just wondering if you had any insight on the subject.

Anonymous FR Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Fieldrep View Post
    Anonymous FR, I would like to know if as a manager for Mueller, do you have any info on how Mueller bills a client. For instance, with one company I work for, I get paid extra for any supplements that are added, such as a wood stove supplement and I am sure the company is charging the client for this. Does Mueller charge the clients for added supplements or other additional add-ons (photo descriptions, additional photos, etc), pocketing the extra fees and not passing anything on to the field reps? Or does Mueller promise the client anything they want just to get the contract and stick it to the field reps with more work for the same pay. Just wondering if you had any insight on the subject.
    Believe it or not, this information is not discussed openly with the regional managers. We are only responsible for the cost of Field Representatives. This is a company that tells you only the minimum you need to know to do your job, because if you knew everything you would likely not want to work there anymore. From what I observed, some of both was going on. In most cases, I think that Mueller is not charging their customers for extras and the salespeople make deals that Field Services has trouble delivering. I believe that there should be a tiered billing system based on the location of a case - urban, rural and remote, and that all extra forms/supplements should have an additional fee billed to the customer and paid to the FR's. We all know this does not happen.

Hi everybody, hope you are enjoying winter. I haven't been here in a half year since I shut off notifications, but they're back on.
    The conversation over the last 6 months seems to revolve around identifying, analyzing, discussing, criticizing, and explaining compensation. Hopefully this subject will wear itself out. Holy crap. Jeezus. If you don't understand payroll, email your manager, payroll, or even hr. There are employees there who will explain your pay. For people here to discuss everything from conspiracy theories to inaccurate posts is silly. We are not supposed to discuss payroll specifics online, so people who do either don't care about their employer's reaction to rule breaking, a disgruntled employee who might post anything that pops into their head, or someone who either just got hired or doesn't work for the company.

This is silly, and it's been a message board clusterflip since this website opened. If you have payroll questions this is the wrong place if you are looking for dependable, accurate information.

I am an hourly employee. I am on the clock when I am mapping, printing, sketching, driving, typing. Period. If I drive 300 miles, do one house, and go home after 8 hours on the road, I get paid my hourly rate. The mileage is backed out only to identify how many actual miles, but to ensure that that amount is not taxed.

In the end, all that matters is this: 1. I look at the total hours I worked for mueller doing anything. I look at my gross pay, and divide by the hours I clocked in. The number that comes up is either my hourly wage, or more. Everything else is meaningless. If you think you are not getting compensated enough, that might be a valid complaint. Your choices are to ask for more pay or quit. Getting payroll advice in this thread from posters who could be anybody with any agenda is silly. Contact your employer.

On another subject (yes!) I have been sketching houses for almost 2 years and have knocked on over 2000 doors. The job is continually getting easier, as anything does with practice. That makes it more fun. I no longer rack my brain trying to remember a boat load of technical info, it is as second nature as decidingnwjhich pedal is the gas pedal when the light turns green.

Part of the reason I am more relaxed in the field is this: 1. I have created redundant systems for everything. I have 2 garmins, 2 laptops complete with sketch software etc. I have an extra wheel in the trunk, extra pens, extra waterproof paper, a backup camera, and a cigarette case with backup batteries for everything. Every one of the items above have failed at one point or another, but I just kept working on the other laptop or changed batteries or grabbed another pen. I didn't miss a beat b/c I was as prepared as a boy scout. If you plan on doing this job, redundant equipment is essential for peace of mind.

Dressing right for the weather helps make the job fun. I work in freezing rain, oblivious to the elements. Its not rocket science, its called wearing the right clothes. I actually like rainy days sometimes b/c it means less traffic in my area.

When I call for appointments, I always start with, "I plan to be in your area on Wednesday and Friday. Which day would be better for you?" It allows you to take control while giving the impression that the PH is making the choices. I have done hundreds of interiors and high values this way and only 3 people wanted to do it some other day.

QA is not the bad guy. These are employeesnlike us doing a job with deadlines like us. They have access to earlier reports and photos (perhaps only with mgmt involvement), so if they suggest that its 1.5C instead of your reported 1C, maybe they are looking at an old case which shows that upper window better. QA rejections are not personal. QA people are human and also make mistakes. I just try to learn from them.

All companies will change how they operate to achieve their goals. If a customer suddenly wants all photos tagged. It might mean you are clocking in another minute. Nobody will tell you to work off the clock if they are law abiding. If you are an IC and you don't like the extra demands for the same rate, complain to Mueller or quit taking their jobs. Those are your only real choices.

To the newbies: Did you ever have to learn something that takes practice? Bartending? Basketball? Guitar? This job, like those things, really only pays off after you practice it long enough that you can just instantly, reflexively pop out the correct answer. Until you find that groove, it will seem like a lot of work for the money. After you reach a point where sketching is as easy as driving a car, you will cross that threshold where you find yourself saying "easy money today" after what seems like a short day. The value in your paycheck doesn't magically appear on day one, just like the first time you waited tables or played basketball. If you are committed to a job and don't expect instant gratification you will succeed. If you have questions for me, and don't want to post online, priv msg me. Good luck, and remember that unoccupied risks with little fences also sometimes have doggie doors in back.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everybody, hope you are enjoying winter. I haven't been here in a half year since I shut off notifications, but they're back on.
    The conversation over the last 6 months seems to revolve around identifying, analyzing, discussing, criticizing, and explaining compensation. Hopefully this subject will wear itself out. Holy crap. Jeezus. If you don't understand payroll, email your manager, payroll, or even hr. There are employees there who will explain your pay. For people here to discuss everything from conspiracy theories to inaccurate posts is silly. We are not supposed to discuss payroll specifics online, so people who do either don't care about their employer's reaction to rule breaking, a disgruntled employee who might post anything that pops into their head, or someone who either just got hired or doesn't work for the company.

This is silly, and it's been a message board clusterflip since this website opened. If you have payroll questions this is the wrong place if you are looking for dependable, accurate information.

I am an hourly employee. I am on the clock when I am mapping, printing, sketching, driving, typing. Period. If I drive 300 miles, do one house, and go home after 8 hours on the road, I get paid my hourly rate. The mileage is backed out only to identify how many actual miles, but to ensure that that amount is not taxed.

In the end, all that matters is this: 1. I look at the total hours I worked for mueller doing anything. I look at my gross pay, and divide by the hours I clocked in. The number that comes up is either my hourly wage, or more. Everything else is meaningless. If you think you are not getting compensated enough, that might be a valid complaint. Your choices are to ask for more pay or quit. Getting payroll advice in this thread from posters who could be anybody with any agenda is silly. Contact your employer.

On another subject (yes!) I have been sketching houses for almost 2 years and have knocked on over 2000 doors. The job is continually getting easier, as anything does with practice. That makes it more fun. I no longer rack my brain trying to remember a boat load of technical info, it is as second nature as decidingnwjhich pedal is the gas pedal when the light turns green.

Part of the reason I am more relaxed in the field is this: 1. I have created redundant systems for everything. I have 2 garmins, 2 laptops complete with sketch software etc. I have an extra wheel in the trunk, extra pens, extra waterproof paper, a backup camera, and a cigarette case with backup batteries for everything. Every one of the items above have failed at one point or another, but I just kept working on the other laptop or changed batteries or grabbed another pen. I didn't miss a beat b/c I was as prepared as a boy scout. If you plan on doing this job, redundant equipment is essential for peace of mind.

Dressing right for the weather helps make the job fun. I work in freezing rain, oblivious to the elements. Its not rocket science, its called wearing the right clothes. I actually like rainy days sometimes b/c it means less traffic in my area.

When I call for appointments, I always start with, "I plan to be in your area on Wednesday and Friday. Which day would be better for you?" It allows you to take control while giving the impression that the PH is making the choices. I have done hundreds of interiors and high values this way and only 3 people wanted to do it some other day.

QA is not the bad guy. These are employeesnlike us doing a job with deadlines like us. They have access to earlier reports and photos (perhaps only with mgmt involvement), so if they suggest that its 1.5C instead of your reported 1C, maybe they are looking at an old case which shows that upper window better. QA rejections are not personal. QA people are human and also make mistakes. I just try to learn from them.

All companies will change how they operate to achieve their goals. If a customer suddenly wants all photos tagged. It might mean you are clocking in another minute. Nobody will tell you to work off the clock if they are law abiding. If you are an IC and you don't like the extra demands for the same rate, complain to Mueller or quit taking their jobs. Those are your only real choices.

To the newbies: Did you ever have to learn something that takes practice? Bartending? Basketball? Guitar? This job, like those things, really only pays off after you practice it long enough that you can just instantly, reflexively pop out the correct answer. Until you find that groove, it will seem like a lot of work for the money. After you reach a point where sketching is as easy as driving a car, you will cross that threshold where you find yourself saying "easy money today" after what seems like a short day. The value in your paycheck doesn't magically appear on day one, just like the first time you waited tables or played basketball. If you are committed to a job and don't expect instant gratification you will succeed. If you have questions for me, and don't want to post online, priv msg me. Good luck, and remember that unoccupied risks with little fences also sometimes have doggie doors in back.

- - - Updated - - -

"I look at my gross pay, and divide by the hours I clocked in. The number that comes up is either my hourly wage, or more. "

Carlos, why would you get more than hourly wage if you are paid by the hour?

" The mileage is backed out only to identify how many actual miles, but to ensure that that amount is not taxed. "

I don't understand. It sounds like your mileage isn't reimbursed, it's just given tax-free, which seems to be the most common way of doing it.

"All companies will change how they operate to achieve their goals. If a customer suddenly wants all photos tagged. It might mean you are clocking in another minute. Nobody will tell you to work off the clock if they are law abiding. If you are an IC and you don't like the extra demands for the same rate, complain to Mueller or quit taking their jobs."

What has been said in this thread about fee-based pay is not just relevant to ICs, it's relevant to most employees, though some individuals are indeed paid by the hour, especially in rural areas. You criticize talking about such things, then tell us how you are paid? What sense does that make?

You are right that no one will tell any FR to work off the clock - but neither will they (in my experience) voluntarily explain how to report time spent doing things like communicating with managers. If that time is added to case times it could count against us because we appear to be working inefficiently. Add enough time to a case and it will be flagged, which results in having to communicate again with a manager, even if it's perfectly legit.

I agree that it's best for FRs to ask the company about their pay if they have questions...but they shouldn't have to! It should all be made absolutely clear when anyone starts working for a company. If there weren't confusion, these discussions wouldn't happen. Unfortunately there are also instances when what FRs are told by managers is not correct.

The trouble with complaining is that FRs are at the mercy of managers when it comes to case assignments, getting questions answered, etc., and may not want to risk antagonizing them once it's already proven useless to complain anyway. In the end, employees of no company should see their pay-per-unit-worked steadily decrease over time, year after year. When that happens, the company itself should not be surprised that its employees are not happy.

- James Burgh, 1754.

[QUOTE=Kristi Silber;235631]"I look at my gross pay, and divide by the hours I clocked in. The number that comes up is either my hourly wage, or more. "

Carlos, why would you get more than hourly wage if you are paid by the hour?

" The mileage is backed out only to identify how many actual miles, but to ensure that that amount is not taxed. "

I don't understand. It sounds like your mileage isn't reimbursed, it's just given tax-free, which seems to be the most common way of doing it.

I'll answer those questions since they are general in nature and without discussing my specific pay here: 1. THere's a case rate, and an hourly rate. If I can complete cases where the case rate exceeds the hourly, I make more. Imagine if there were many houses in a row, and I have a hourly rate of $10.00 per hour, and could shoot and sketch and report a complete house in 20 min, and could do the 3 houses in an hour. Let's say the case pay is $8. Instead of paying me $10 for the hour that I worked that week, I would get $24 for the ability to complete 3 houses in that time. In this hypothetical, I made $24 per hour that week, if this was my only shoot. Conversely, if the case pay added up doesnt reach what I would make hourly (few houses with lots of driving), management adjusts that so that I achieve at least my hourly rate. This isn't a company secret, it's the law if you tell someone they will make at least $x per hour, and the case fee doesn't reach that. Case fee amounts and wages may vary from state to state, so the actual monies we're paid cant be compared, but the formula for achieving payroll is common knowledge so I don't mind jotting down here. If any of this is incorrect, remember, I am not Mueller Payroll or a manager. I'm just some guy posting on the internet, but I wanted to respond to your questions.

2. Backing out the miles to identify the number of miles driven allows payroll to come up with a value. If I drove 100 miles this week, payroll knows that 41.00 of my pay should be non taxable. The actual gross pay is also adjusted by this amount, or else you would be getting both drive time pay and miles pay, a redundant pay both relating to travel.

In the end, people who don't do this work and work at office jobs downtown don't get paid to drive to work, and spend about as much time in the car as a Mueller FR, so right there we are ahead, with the exception of real miles heavy rural areas.

The way I look at compensation is simply by dividing the pay I got from the time I put in. Period. If that works out (and it always does), then all the rest is hair-splitting. Do I charge for time for little stuff? Sure. Do I really spend 1 minute on the phone with a PH when most of those calls last 30 or 40 seconds? No. At the end of the month it adds up to everything coming out in the wash. If you don't like paying for supplies like ink as an hourly EE, remember that those costs are tax deductible, and also remember that most people will not separate the ink they use for Mueller from the ink used for their personal stuff, so those deductions will cover all the office supplies and more. CP

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Pineiro View Post
    In the end, people who don't do this work and work at office jobs downtown don't get paid to drive to work, and spend about as much time in the car as a Mueller FR, so right there we are ahead, with the exception of real miles heavy rural areas.
    There's no way that's even close to true. Maybe a few major metro areas have people spending an hour or two commuting each way (and that's mostly time, not miles), but the VAST majority of people working are not putting near as many miles on their cars as a FR is.

There actually was a time in the past when Mueller paid for additional supplements - that time is long gone. They also used to pay significantly more for commercials, but now you get less for a commercial than a HV. I wish they would make this a better place to work - fair pay (or at least actually give a mileage reimbursement - not this silly tax free quasi-scam they do now), fixing up the website so there isn't endless redundant data entry, and get someone who knows what they're doing to design a useful, non-buggy sketch tool. Unfortunately I don't see that happening, and that's why I'm on my way out. It's an interesting job with nice scheduling, but I just don't want to put up with their crap anymore. Plus, the only way to get a raise is to quit - Mueller doesn't give raises to FR's.

Hmm, thought I replied, but evidently I didn't submit it or something.

Carlos, you're paid just like the rest of us fee-based types. If you were hourly you would always make the same per hour, never more. It sounds like you just take long enough (through driving, I'm guessing) or have a base wage high enough that you usually don't get "production" pay (fees above the base wage).

Mileage standards don't include time, it's only for gas and wear and tear on a vehicle. From the IRS site: "The standard mileage rate for business is based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile." For 2013, this was 56.5 cents/mi. Giving us only 41 cents/mi. doesn't make a difference to Mueller as far as I can tell unless FRs like you (and me these days, with added requirements) are working around their base wage level. They are very clever.

Itemizing expenses only makes sense if you have enough of them, otherwise the standard deduction is better.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast