Jon Randolph Guest

Default Indiana ICC inspector

I have someone wanting a new home under construction inspected. I have performed these in the past and have always found issues but, even though I have the NECC, IRC, NFPA references that I can quote, I was thinking that the client would be better represented by someone who was ICC certified and had that certification to back up what they find.

Is there anybody in here in the Indianapolis area that has their ICC certification?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Indiana ICC inspector

I think you should be capable of doing the inspection but would be cautious about "quoting code" when doing it. I occasionally do draw inspections as well as final walk through inspections and feel comfortable doing these without being ICC certified. There is much we don't know but a wealth of knowledge with forums and materials available to us. There are some ICC certified inspectors that belong to INASHI that you can find if needed. Go to their website and find them there.

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Indiana ICC inspector

I was told by a builder that he would only fix a concern found by a home inspector if that inspector had an ICC certification. I showed him a pile of books and asked him how well he new the material and also asked him if he had every certifacation available. Smug look and no answer. I told him that if its wrong its wrong and my client was paying for a new home and it should be right to begin with. He snatched the report out of my hand and had all the items fixed.

You find concerns, you check the books, you have experience. Header size, wire size, vent location, electric concerns, if you think of it, when you took a basic home inspection course (or advanced or yearly continuing ed course), everything in that course was based on code. If you have been inspecting for anytime your minds eye is going to catch the vast majority of any major and more than likely any minor concerns. You are not an engineer and neither are 99.9 percent of any builder or municipal building/electric/plumbing inspector but I bet in those referances you have will tell you what you need to know.

Ted

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gainey View Post
    I think you should be capable of doing the inspection but would be cautious about "quoting code" when doing it.

Well if you ain't gonna quote building codes when spectiin' new construction defects then you might as well throw out the damn code books all together, especially if you are ICC Certified.

Got to agree with Joe.

It does not take a degree in rocket science to cite a paragraph out of a code book. If you can read, then you can cite the code. Who gives a flip if the builder recognizes the problem or not, if it is wrong it is wrong and it is not the inspectors problem if the builder is being unreasonable.

If you are scared or uncomfortable to cite a code then try verbiage that word it like it is a safety hazard, or that it does not meet recognized building practices or it does not meet the manufacturers standards(my favorite and most used). If worded like that it is not a code cite and many times will have a greater impact than a code cite. You could easily describe just about any problem found with new construction using one of those three methods.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

The one thing I still have a hard time with is that municipal inspectors hold no liability on their inspections. If the house burns down, oh well. If we inspect a new home and miss a staple running thru a wire, uh oh.

The reality is as I mentioned before, we are not engineers. A simple example is calling a header size on the first floor. You can look all you want but you do not know the engineering loads on this home. What are the loads from the second floor and roof?

If you are worried about protecting yourself you would be the wiser to use verbage like Scott mentioned "it does not meat recognized building practices"
    If you see a manufactured floor joist all cut up, write it as such and add "it does not meat recognized building practices" Even the plumber that cut that joist up new it was wrong when he did it. He had no choice but to cut it up or wait for the bulder to have that area reframed to allow for the plumbing. All the municipal inspector does is write failed on the inspection sheet and might give a slight reason. He does not quote paragraphs of code. If its wrong, Its wrong.

As Scott mentioned again, If it is wrong it is wrong.

Ted

Thumbs up Re: Indiana ICC inspector

I agree 100% Scott
    If you are scared or uncomfortable to cite a code then try verbiage that word it like it is a safety hazard, or that it does not meet recognized building practices or it does not meet the manufacturers standards(my favorite and most used). If worded like that it is not a code cite and many times will have a greater impact than a code cite. You could easily describe just about any problem found with new construction using one of those three methods.
    My point was citing code if you are not certified may cause problems. I wouldn't say scared is the word, but aware of the limitations of the inspector's qualifications is important. Current standards or typical building practices is the way I like to phrase it. Either way is correct but without the credentials, I would shy away from citing code. I did not mean code was not important. I use it frequently in my reports.

Last edited by Jeff Gainey; 06-15-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: clarity

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    If you are worried about protecting yourself you would be the wiser to use verbage like Scott mentioned "it does not meat recognized building practices"

You say tomato, I say Toamto... Let's call the hole thing off

Ted Menelly Guest

I understand Joe, really, I do, I due, I dew.

The facts are the facts. You don't have to be certified to bring that out. I am working towards ICC cert. Will it make me a better inspector? Sure, but even without the cert. I can still read a book.
    I do a lot of Code work. The cert doesn't back up your word or report. The Code book and what it says does.
    Forget about the builder and his BS. He pretty much has to BS you. The more he BS's you, the less it may cost him to fix all the things he already knows are wrong.
    Your client and the attorney's aren't going to give a damn about 'his' demands when faced with copies of code pages for all the things you write up.
    A suggestion, call the muni building dept., ask what Code is current for them now. If you have that great, if not buy it.
    If you aren't comfortable (which it sounds like) doing this insp find another HI to do it with. Don't just let the lead go.
    Good luck

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gainey View Post
    I agree 100% Scott

My point was citing code if you are not certified may cause problems.

Unless your state licensing law prohibits you from citing code, I fail to see what problems citing code could cause.

Now, *citing the wrong code* could embarrass you, but no more than calling something 'unsafe' when it is not 'unsafe'.

Using mamby-pamby wording to avoid citing code just makes you look silly and less knowledgeable. If you know it is not code complaint, say so, and give the code.

Whether or not the builder fixes it *IS NOT* going to be dependent on whether or not you cite code, ... BUT ... you will have a better chance for them to address it if you provide documentation to back up what you say.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bob Spermo Guest

I find interesting your discussion on credentials and the use of the word "code". I do mostly new construction phase inspections and I actually shy away from older house resale inspections. In my new construction inspections I use the word code frequently because I know what codes (including local) the house is being built under. In older houses I do not know what code was used when it was built. I use phrases like "not standard building practice" or "safety concern" to express my views. I am certified by the ICC as a Residential Combination Building Inspector. I did not find that certification to be extremely difficult to obtain. I am new to the site and enjoy reading all of the different opinions on different issues.

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Unless your state licensing law prohibits you from citing code, I fail to see what problems citing code could cause.

Now, *citing the wrong code* could embarrass you, but no more than calling something 'unsafe' when it is not 'unsafe'.

Using mamby-pamby wording to avoid citing code just makes you look silly and less knowledgeable. If you know it is not code complaint, say so, and give the code.

Whether or not the builder fixes it *IS NOT* going to be dependent on whether or not you cite code, ... BUT ... you will have a better chance for them to address it if you provide documentation to back up what you say.

Finally something we agree upon, is the moon blue?

BTW I believe that ICC Certification is something you do for yourself as a check to make sure that you have good working understanding of the codes, the structure of the code book and the nomenclature, definitions and terminology of code language.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    Finally something we agree upon, is the moon blue?
    I know what you mean. When I read your post (below) my first thought was "Joe is not going to believe we actually agree something, so I'll put off replying and see what else is posted and if I need to post too."

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    Well if you ain't gonna quote building codes when spectiin' new construction defects then you might as well throw out the damn code books all together, especially if you are ICC Certified.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Geese, Joe and Jerry actually (maybe) agreeing on something and Jerry using wording like mamby-pamby. You gotta just love these threads.

I have never been this slow as in the past 2 weeks in the 4 years I lived in Texas. I guess everyone must experience slow downs. But just think If I were busy I would not be on here to have witnessed such splendor!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta love it

Ted

Another thing I forgot to mention on new construction is that there will most likely be lots on manufacturer info available for the new systems/components being installed. I've been quite fortunate during NC insp when some developer says, 'Oh yeah, that cut, spliced, under-supported XXX is fine, you're just being an A-hole inspector'. It's amazing how attitudes change when you pull out a printout from a manuf. website showing that it isn't fine.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Geese, Joe and Jerry actually (maybe) agreeing on something and Jerry using wording like mamby-pamby.

Ted,

My suggestion is to catch the Kumbaya wave while the surf's up because, change as they say... is inevitable.

Joe.

Ted Menelly Guest

Joe, did you just say those words "change as they say... is inevitable". You know I am a little hard headed sometimes but even my hard headed self accepts changes because "change as they say... is inevitable".

I am having a great day. Seeing statements like that, booking several inspections in the last few hours, free entertainment, learning others opinions to well round my own.........Life is grand!

Thanks again Joe

Ted