Thread: Furnace age

Default Furnace age

Can someone please help with the age of the following furnace?

York - Borg Warner

Model# UG080B3N-1B
    Serial# B0-134411

I have looked through all the charts I have and can not find any that match this style of serial number. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Furnace age

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Heffner View Post

York - Borg Warner

Model# UG080B3N-1B
    Serial# B0-134411

I have looked through all the charts I have and can not find any that match this style of serial number. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    The serial number doesn't look right. The '0' in the B0 prefix should be a letter and not 'O'

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Stuart, That could be the case, the information is stamped onto the metal plate. Sometimes the O look like 0. I attached a picture of the plate for your review.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Stuart, That could be the case, the information is stamped onto the metal plate. Sometimes the O look like 0. I attached a picture of the plate for your review.
    Its a cruddy pic of the overall plate which would contain info which could pin it down. If York not York Division is referenced and we can see Borg-Warner logo - that's likely Feb 85 or 86., I forget which, might have been 87 which was year zero for the "new" York no longer York Division, owned by Borg Stockholders who got a separate stock issue for York, but not owned by Borg-Warner Corp anymore as a division or subsidary, but as a new separate entity just before it Borg Warner Corportion went private.Can tell you this much, York Division of Borg-Warner (Corporation, not Inc.) was being or had been spun off as York International around mid July 1986. My WAG is you've come acoss a 1985/1986/87 transition of the wholely stockholders owned seperate entity not division, not subsidiary just before the company went involuntarily private (hostile poison pill takeoverand bits sold off.You could confirm more precicesly age with other information on that tag if it were completely in view. (standard version ed dates, etc.).BWC purchased York Corporation in 1956 made it their York Division (of BWC) York Division of BWC acquired Westinghouse and others in 1981. BWC spun York off in early or mid 85 or 86, maybe wasn't completely done till 87 not sure I can trust my memory on this as to the exact year.. IIRC became York International. sometime after (05/06?) johnson controls got it. IIRC the first CEO of the "new" York (independant of or rather no longer a division of Borg-Warner Corp - not Inc.) ran it at least through october-ish 87.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-29-2013 at 10:25 PM.

York - Borg Warner

Model# UG080B3N-1B
    Serial# B0-134411

HM-272019 (Before 1980)
    A=71; B=72; C=73; D=74; E=75; F=76; G=77; H=78; J=79, K=80

Therefore, I'd say 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    HM-272019 (Before 1980)

Therefore, I'd say 1972.
    Mark, Where are you seeing the HM-272019?

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Mark, Where are you seeing the HM-272019?
    That is just an example of the serial number code for old York Equipment. In this case the first letter was B, which was used in 1972.

That is just an example of the serial number code for old York Equipment. In this case the first letter was B, which was used in 1972.
    First letter was month, B is second month of the Production Year. Second placeholder is year, followed by six digit production number for 1980-mid 1985 SNs with less than 4 alpha followed by six numeric SNs.

As referenced, without view of and details from the ENTIRE plate, could be early- mid 80s transition production as illuded earlier.

"0" can also be a sub assembly air cleaner/filter designation as well, post 80. If "York" "Div. of Borg Warner Corp." or "Division of Borg Warner Corportion" would be 1972 Mfg at Orig. owned plant.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-02-2013 at 11:03 AM.

HM-272019 (Before 1980)

Therefore, I'd say 1972.
    I don't think so. In your example the H is the 8th month, M is the 12th production year in the cycle ("I" wasn't used).

Mea Culpa, you're right!!! The AA-NNNNNN (wherein first Alpha is Month, Second Alpha is Year, followed by six digits/numbers) system I was thinking of was after1979 (Westinghouse & other acquisitions) to BWC to Stock issue spin off of York Div. of BWC to York as a separate Corporation.

1970 - 1979 was a non-month indicating system consisting of two letter prefix and six digits except for those produced for private labels.

1970 - XO NNNNNN
    1971 - AO NNNNNN
    1972 - BO NNNNNN
    1973 - CO NNNNNN (pre-restructure BWC York Div. mfg plant(s) ownership) or CM NNNNNN
    1974 - DM NNNNNN
    1975 - EM NNNNNN
    1976 - FM NNNNNN
    1977 - GM NNNNNN
    1979 - JM NNNNNN

I failed to pick up on the 60s/70s trunkated model number construction . Also tnx to the fellow member who sent the "enhanced" lightened version of the non-rivited plate with the shadowed portion lightened. It does clearly show "DIV. OF BORG-WARNER CORP." which is most definately pre mid-80s, AND the plate is embossed stamped in both (raised and impressed) directions, making it most definately pre 80s.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-02-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Correction, Agreement with M.R., & mea culpa!

Thanks Mark, I thought I was missing something.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/