Thread: Sump pit

Default Sump pit

This is a first for me. Sump pit installed at the side yard. Bottom of pit is below the level of the foundation footings. Pit is 12 feet awaty from the foundation wall.
    What appear to be footing drains ( as per contractor who was on site) are drtaining into the pit which in turn drains to drywell installed under the driveway near the street.
    Why they didnt just use a gravity feed is beyond me because the drive is down hill from the pit.
    Any thoughts on this.

My worry is, are we removing soil from under the footings along with the water.
    I know they had a swimming pool when they dug the foundation, there has to be a high water table here.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Sump pit

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    This is a first for me. Sump pit installed at the side yard. Bottom of pit is below the level of the foundation footings. Pit is 12 feet awaty from the foundation wall.
    What appear to be footing drains ( as per contractor who was on site) are drtaining into the pit which in turn drains to drywell installed under the driveway near the street.
    Why they didnt just use a gravity feed is beyond me because the drive is down hill from the pit.
    Any thoughts on this.

My worry is, are we removing soil from under the footings along with the water.
    I know they had a swimming pool when they dug the foundation, there has to be a high water table here.
    Probably making sure the water drains back into the back yard and away from the foundation and not just relying on the water that does come down the soil beside the foundation to slowly filter thru the soil. and keep the foundation side moist. They appear to be taking care of both the back yard water and soil water around the foundation.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

How well with that sucker work during the cold winters up in New England?

It's well below frost line. But not to well with the power out would be my guess. But might be able to find a few out of work bankers to bail it out.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    But might be able to find a few out of work bankers to bail it out.
    But who will bail the bankers out? We know who..

Thumbs up Re: Sump pit

I've see ntose configured as drywells in Quebec & Vermont.

Did u check that it was wired up correctly and that the electrical circuit is properly protected?

I hope the pump is rated for use outdoors.

cheers & happy inspecting.

Good point!

I have seen a number of those with various levels of professionalism. Most of the time the area does not drain well enough to be a dry well and they are pumping out to the street.

About the only thing you can check is the wiring and if the pump activates when the float lifts.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956