Default Twisted Aluminum Neutrals

I recently wrote up a service panel with several sets of double lugged aluminum neutrals on the neutral bar. An electrician came out and twisted the aluminum neutrals together (two at time) and put them back under the lugs. I'm having trouble finding references regarding this practice. Is this acceptable?

OREP Insurance
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Default Re: Twisted Aluminum Neutrals

No, that is not acceptable.

Also, there is still the same number of conductors in the terminal as there was before.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You did a Re-Inspection.
    If you ask for the electrician's receipt they wont have one.

I went to a house that had no water pump. so I postponed the inspection.
    I went back out after being told that the pump was installed and there was no pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No, that is not acceptable.

Also, there is still the same number of conductors in the terminal as there was before.
    Thanks for the response. You confirmed what I thought.

Today, I learned that the electrician wrote out a lengthy explanation why his "fix" was appropriate on the receipt. He claimed that because it was a GE panel (the label is missing but it is a GE) that the "holes" in the neutral bar are large enough and made to accommodate two wires and twisting the aluminum wires was an approved method of insuring continuity when tightened in the lug.

I called up the AHJ and told my story. The first words out of the city inspector was, "that electrician is an idiot". So, now I am writing out a lengthy explanation for the buyer and both agents about this. While this makes more work for me, it's also what makes this job interesting and fun. I'll be even more entertained if the electrician has the balls to call me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I called up the AHJ and told my story. The first words out of the city inspector was, "that electrician is an idiot". So, now I am writing out a lengthy explanation for the buyer and both agents about this. While this makes more work for me, it's also what makes this job interesting and fun. I'll be even more entertained if the electrician has the balls to call me.
    "So, now I am writing out a lengthy explanation for the buyer and both agents about this."

How can writing "I called up the AHJ and told my story. The first words out of the city inspector was, "that electrician is an idiot"." be a lengthy explanation?

"it's also what makes this job interesting and fun"

Yes, Sir ... that sure does make the job fun.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Welcome to a Seller's Market..........the seller (who it turns out is a licensed contractor) told the buyers to take a hike. He ain't fixin' nothin' else! Bold talk in Colorado where he now would have to disclose this defect to any new buyer, but the buyer's agent and the listor decided the course of least resistance was to pay for the correct fix themselves and get the deal closed.