Default Glad no one was home!!!!

This is mostly FYI for anyone not familiar with pain on the wing.

Attached thumb is a pic of a yellow jacket nest I found today in a crawlspace.. If you see one of these don't poke it! If you start into an attic or crawlspace and hear what sounds like a noisy bathroom vent fan (usually in the summer) RUN! These little buggers have a real bad attitude and will chase you a long ways.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Glad no one was home!!!!

That does not look like the typical yellow jacket nest I see. Being a PCO for now 23 yrs. I can tell you that if just ignore them, 99% of the time they'll leave you alone. I haver crawled through numerous shrub beds that have huge nests and have never been stung but once. You start messing with them or waving your arms at them they'll then attract to you. Also wearing red or yellow is not advisable.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ron Bibler Guest

Well did you poke it?

I probably would in a vacant house.... but thats the kid in me.

Best

Ron

P.S. I think J.P. Had a good story on this subject...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Well did you poke it?

I probably would in a vacant house.... but thats the kid in me.

Best

Ron

P.S. I think J.P. Had a good story on this subject...

Yeah, and it was at least 4-6 times larger than that one and ... I did poke it ... and 'no one was home' (lucky for me). I not only poked it, I ripped pieces out of it trying to figure out what it was ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I see those quite often in attics and crawlspaces, mostly crawlspaces. So far none of them appear to have been active. Here is a little more information I found.

The Bald Faced Hornet's nest can be as small as a football and as large as 3-4 feet long. Do not attempt to contact or handle a nest. Hornets will vigorously defend their nest if you come in contact with it or are perceived as a threat. Not all nests are found hanging from tree branches. Sometimes, nests can be found attached to the underside of external stair units, on the sides of buildings and under porches. WARNING - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CONTACT, HANDLE OR EXTERMINATE THESE INSECTS AND THEIR NEST YOURSELF- A MASS STINGING EPISODE CAN BE VERY HARMFUL OR FATAL!

I wish I had the nerve to stay & take a pic of the rattlesnake I met under a mobile ho....manufactured home the other day. It was as startled as I was..Nothing like being eye to eye with one...Still have bumps on my head.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stichter View Post
    I wish I had the nerve to stay & take a pic of the rattlesnake I met under a mobile ho....manufactured home the other day. It was as startled as I was..Nothing like being eye to eye with one...Still have bumps on my head.
    You only have to ever, did I say ever, see one snake, no matter what make or model, for it to stick with you for life. I hate crawls and hate mobile homes even more.
    Or once you see these about a thousand times and every crawl you go into you always feel like something is crawling on you. You are usually right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    That does not look like the typical yellow jacket nest I see. Being a PCO for now 23 yrs. I can tell you that if just ignore them, 99% of the time they'll leave you alone. I haver crawled through numerous shrub beds that have huge nests and have never been stung but once. You start messing with them or waving your arms at them they'll then attract to you. Also wearing red or yellow is not advisable.

rick
    Rick your photo is what I had always refereed to as yellow jackets until I had some real yellow jackets that I mowed over in the yard several years ago. After some research, I found what I had called yellow jackets were really called paper wasps. The little ones with a bad attitude are the ones that live underground (no matter what you call them.) Those little guys will chase you down! Kind of like the difference between and ant and a fire ant!
    That must be where they got the idea for the Rockwall Yellow Jackets

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

While inspecting a master bathroom today, I observed this yellow jacket take a nose dive into the hydrotherapy tub.

I couldn't help but watch it do some water ballet for me as I took a few pics. Thought I'd pass them along.

It may have been stoned like Michael Phelps.

rick