Default I think the client is mad at me

I think the client is made at me for busting his dream condo. He wasn't especially friendly or anything when I did my usual follow up call the day after I emailed the report.
    2 bedroom NC condo, he thought it was great and seemed to really want it.
    My report stated that based on available information it did not appear the 2nd bedroom was a legal bedroom. I explained a few of the problems, Codes and potential consequences.
    - no window in the 'bedroom'
    - door on the room, no transfer grilles
    - no return air
    - gas dryer in the 'bedroom' closet, no exterior combustion air
    Additional problems were also noted that he probably didn't like either.
    My other big problem with the unit was a crack/seam that ran from the common corridor, into the unit, through the unit and out to the outside edge of the balcony. The crack/seam didn't line up with the usual 4x8 panel lines during the concrete pour. About 8' of the crack/seam had swirl marks like someone hit it with an orbital sander.
    I happened to talk with another inspector by chance about the building. He did an HI there a few months ago and also blasted his unit.
    Sometimes you just can't win.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Default Re: I think the client is mad at me

Markus,

You did, I presume, describe that 'bedroom' as 'Kill Room 1', right?

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    2 bedroom NC condo,
    On vacation or what?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I would have liked to use that term Jerry but I was a little more tactful than that unfortunately.
    Sorry, NC - new construction
    Will be on vacation soon though.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

FK, don't know if you are joking or not.
    I see this as a huge safety issue. Client stated during the HI that this 'bedroom' would be a good guest bedroom when friends come to visit. So let's 'assume' a scenario.
    Guests come to stay, go to sleep at night and presumably close the bedroom door. Before going to sleep they decide to put the washed load in the dryer. Now you have people sleeping in an essentially closed room with a gas burning appliance that at the very least is using up oxygen. Take it another step, there's a problem with the appliance and the room starts to fill with either natural gas or carbon monoxide. So much for tomorrow's trip to the museum.
    Will it happen probably not but it also isn't that far fetched of a scenario.
    A lot of these safety concerns we look at are based on an almost endless set of variables. We can't account for all but we also can't discount too many.
    I also put in the report the client should ask the Developer for written doc that they received a variance or exemption on the Light/Vent requirement. I can't imagine they got one. I checked my last Code book and the 2010, that I just picked up a couple weeks ago, no listed exception.
    I pondered the return air to the room idea a bit. It is kind of iffy. On the one hand, it would provide for air changes within the room reducing hazard level. On the other hand, if there were a problem with the unit, it might distribute contaminants throughout the condo.
    I like John Prine, seen him in concert a few times. Last time with Iris Dement, good show.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I also put in the report the client should ask the Developer for written doc that they received a variance or exemption on the Light/Vent requirement. I can't imagine they got one. I checked my last Code book and the 2010, that I just picked up a couple weeks ago, no listed exception.
    No secondary means of eggress in the event of an emergency........unless there was an EJECT button in the room that will automatically shoot the occupant to the exterior.