Thread: No sill plate

Default No sill plate

Came across a home with a walkout basement and no sill plate. Joists, beam and band joist resting directly on filled concrete block foundation wall. Would you direct this to a structural engineer? Home sits in a very windy area in the BlueRidge Mountains, occupant states that minimal uplift is felt on occasion!

Sid

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Post Re: No sill plate

Good grief. Good catch! Yes, it would be appropriate to refer this to a structural engineer or licensed and qualified contractor. Jacking the house and installing anchors and a sill plate should solve the problem. Amazing what we find some times.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Default Re: No sill plate

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    Good grief. Good catch! Yes, it would be appropriate to refer this to a structural engineer or licensed and qualified contractor. Jacking the house and installing anchors and a sill plate should solve the problem. Amazing what we find some times.
    There are also tie down anchors than may be able to be retrofitted. These are attached to the floor joists and bolted into the concrete block foundation with an epoxy resin. Again, a licensed structural engineer should be engaged to design this and any type of foundation repair.

Sidney

A sill plate is not necessary but you still need some system to bolt/tie the house to the foundation. Talk to the people from Strong-tie I am sure they have something that will work.

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Sure looks like non-resistant, non-treated floor joists to me. Bearing upon masonry, no restraint or support.

I believe the NCDOI has authoritatively spoken on the subject.

Walkout basement suggests sloped lot.

Self-described high wind area. reference to topography.

Unless I missed it we do not know the height of the structure (stories).

I agree with an earlier poster that an engineer should be consulted.

Something like the Simpson FJA may be a solution to the uplift requirements.

If the top of the foundation is more than 8" above the soil outside, the lumber need not be pressure treated.

There may also be a need to counter the lateral force placed upon the foundation by the soil.