Clay White Guest

Default A/C Condensdate drain gurgling at sink

Last edited by Clay White; 01-02-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    OREP Insurance

Aaron Miller Guest

Default Re: A/C Condensdate drain gurgling at sink

Quote Originally Posted by Clay White View Post
    Homeowner stated that when AC was operating, a loud gurgling noise could be heard from sink drain....homeowner told builder and he had the plumber come out and he made long drain loop. When I was there there was no gurlging.

So, is this a proper repair?
    Clay:

No. In fact, this installation is improper. See IRC P2706.3:

P2706.3 Prohibited waste receptors.
    Plumbing fixtures that are used for domestic or culinary purposes shall not be used to receive the discharge of an indirect waste.
    Exceptions:
    1. A kitchen sink trap is acceptable for use as a receptor for a dishwasher.
    2. A laundry tray is acceptable for use as a receptor for a clothes washing machine.

Aaron

Default Re: A/C Condensate drain gurgling at sink

Talk about a deep trap seal, look at that one.

Aaron is right on with that reply.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Talk about a deep trap seal, look at that one.

Aaron is right on with that reply.
    JP:

Every time I write this up I get the same question from the builder: "OK then, where do you want me to put the damned thing." I do bleed a bit about the tounge in an attempt to say what I'm thinking, but what reasonable locations should I suggest to them?

Thanks,

Aaron

[quote=Aaron Miller;21744]I do bleed a bit about the tounge in an attempt to say what I'm thinking, [quote]

Not sure that location would hold much anyway.

but what reasonable locations should I suggest to them?
    Outside?

M1411.3 Condensate disposal.
    Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas where it would cause a nuisance.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aaron Miller Guest

Outside?

M1411.3 Condensate disposal.
    Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas where it would cause a nuisance.
    [/quote]

JP:

Now I assume that "approved" means by the AHJ? So then, if he approves termination of the drain lines above the sink traps it is good to go that way?

And, in an area of known expansive soil where depositing this condensate adjacent to the foundation (within 60") would possibly advserly affect foundation performance, then where should it terminate?

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    Now I assume that "approved" means by the AHJ? So then, if he approves termination of the drain lines above the sink traps it is good to go that way?
    Nope.

From the IRC. (underlining is mine)
    - SECTION R104
    - - DUTIES AND POWERS OF THE BUILDING OFFICIAL
    - - - R104.1 General.
    The building official is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the provisions of this code. The building official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies and procedures shall be in conformance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.

Nope - not when it specifically goes against the stated code, and that would.

And, in an area of known expansive soil where depositing this condensate adjacent to the foundation (within 60") would possibly advserly affect foundation performance, then where should it terminate?
    Beyond 60"?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aaron Miller Guest

JP:

OK, that's what I'll tell them then. I'll let you know what they have to say about snaking CPVC out into the yards to fill future mosquito breeding grounds . . . or whatever they come up with.

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron, a floor drain with an air gap discharge would be acceptable, as would a dedicated trapped standpipe as long as it has an airgap.
    I wish I could post apicture of an approved method, but I have NEVER seen one in person. It would be much easier in the land of basements and floor drains.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Aaron, a floor drain with an air gap discharge would be acceptable, as would a dedicated trapped standpipe as long as it has an airgap.
    I wish I could post apicture of an approved method, but I have NEVER seen one in person. It would be much easier in the land of basements and floor drains.
    Jim:

Yes, and every time I see these the drain line is lost down in the bottom of the standpipe or they've cut a hole in the floor drain and stuffed the drain line down in there. Besides, how can one practicaly or safely in stall a stand pipe or floor drain in an attic?

Aaron