mathew stouffer Guest

Default Exposed Romex in utility closet

Does Romex have to be housed in conduit when exposed in a utility closet?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Exposed Romex in utility closet

Is that hot water pipes the Romes is resting on?

To my understand the Romes is loose and something could get hung up on it. I call things like that.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Does Romex have to be housed in conduit when exposed in a utility closet?
    MS: Yes.

334.15 Exposed Work.
    In exposed work, except as provided in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through (C).
    (A) To Follow Surface. Cable shall closely follow the surface of the building finish or of running boards.
    (B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved means. Where passing through a floor, the cable shall be enclosed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved means extending at least 150 mm (6 in.) above the floor.
    Type NMC cable installed in shallow chases or grooves in masonry, concrete, or adobe, shall be protected in accordance with the requirements in 300.4(F) and covered with plaster, adobe, or similar finish.

jp,
    sic em

NO it does not need to be in conduit. It needs to be strapped to the wall and ceiling.
    That will provide all the protection needed. "Follow closely the building finish"

Strap that NM cable to the wall and ceiling so it conforms to code by following closely the building finish. What kind of danger would the cable exposed to that would require conduit?

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    NO it does not need to be in conduit. It needs to be strapped to the wall and ceiling.
    That will provide all the protection needed. "Follow closely the building finish"

Strap that NM cable to the wall and ceiling so it conforms to code by following closely the building finish. What kind of danger would the cable exposed to that would require conduit?
    +1

Michael Larson Guest

Time for a reading class Bagdad Bob?

What kind of danger would the cable exposed to that would require conduit?
    I always recommend adding conduit on stuff like that. I can think of ways that the sheathing can become damaged. I don't quote code, just recommend it. A wire being subject to damage is up for interpretation.......

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    I always recommend adding conduit on stuff like that. I can think of ways that the sheathing can become damaged. I don't quote code, just recommend it. A wire being subject to damage is up for interpretation.......
    Also, as I recall, in a recent thread someone posted the Oregon code which requires that to be in conduit.

As *installed* it needs one of two things, and neither Aaron nor Ken is completely correct as they each offered ONE CHOICE as though that choice was required.

It that out-of-the-way location it may be strapped to follow the finish of the wall OR be placed in conduit ... except in Oregon and other like areas which *require* it to be in conduit.

Being as Mat is not in Oregon, that part is added because Brandon replied and he is in Oregon.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    Time for a reading class Bagdad Bob?
    Michael,

Your posts are as useless as ever. All you seem to do it try to make yourself look foolish by only complaining about others, and in trying to do so - you succeed.

Not that I can understand you always trying to look foolish and provide no real content, guess that is just the way you are.

Why don't you just grow up and start participating with useful posts and information or simply shut up and quit your bitching about everyone else?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Michael,

Your posts are as useless as ever. All you seem to do it try to make yourself look foolish by only complaining about others, and in trying to do so - you succeed.

Not that I can understand you always trying to look foolish and provide no real content, guess that is just the way you are.

Why don't you just grow up and start participating with useful posts and information or simply shut up and quit your bitching about everyone else?
    Jerry and Aaron deserve special mention when the mess up.

Have a nice day.

I didn't start this boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    I didn't start this boys.
    Michael,

The baby screams again.

Look back up at this thread, if you did not, who did?

You made it your mission to take the first jab, here is your bottle, not get back in your play pen and go nighty-night - we'll put the night light on for you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Also, as I recall, in a recent thread someone posted the Oregon code which requires that to be in conduit.

As *installed* it needs one of two things, and neither Aaron nor Ken is completely correct as they each offered ONE CHOICE as though that choice was required.

It that out-of-the-way location it may be strapped to follow the finish of the wall OR be placed in conduit ... except in Oregon and other like areas which *require* it to be in conduit.

Being as Mat is not in Oregon, that part is added because Brandon replied and he is in Oregon.
    JP: Of course, that is correct. It does not "have to be" in conduit, but I always suggest that if "should be". It does however, "have to be" secured to the wall/ceiling.