Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Average Inspection Fee

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Just a couple more of the stats I track:
    Average miles (one way) per inspection is 18 miles.
    11.6% of my clients were previous customers
    9.3% came from my website
    8.2% came from the ASHI website
    24.3% came from referrals from past clients
    46.6% came from other referrals, (friends, other inspectors, agents, etc)
    Ken, do RE agents hand out a list of inspectors where you are?

Member Benefits1

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Ken, do RE agents hand out a list of inspectors where you are?
    It varies agent to agent. Some do not make any recommendations, some give the client three names, some tell them to use a specific agent. It usually depends on what their broker tells them to do.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

It varies agent to agent. Some do not make any recommendations, some give the client three names, some tell them to use a specific agent. It usually depends on what their broker tells them to do.
    Just wondering...we're trying to get away from RE referrals and go directly to the buyer. Hard to do. It's weird out here, most buyers just do whatever the agent says.

James Duffin Guest

Just wondering...we're trying to get away from RE referrals and go directly to the buyer. Hard to do. It's weird out here, most buyers just do whatever the agent says.
    if you don't trust your agent you need to get another agent. There is no reason for a buyer to think the agent is trying to steer them wrong with a HI...no more than to think they are trying to steer them wrong by recommending a bank or insurance company. The only person who can do a buyer wrong is the inspector themselves and I don't understand why some HI do not trust themselves to do a quality inspection when a referral comes from a RE. The odds of getting a good inspection is better with a referral from a RE than it is going through the phone book and blindly picking out a name.

I can't help but think that the HI's who are dead set against RE referrals at one took took RE referrals and were the kind of inspectors who did a soft report and are basing their prejudice on their own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    if you don't trust your agent you need to get another agent. There is no reason for a buyer to think the agent is trying to steer them wrong with a HI...no more than to think they are trying to steer them wrong by recommending a bank or insurance company. The only person who can do a buyer wrong is the inspector themselves and I don't understand why some HI do not trust themselves to do a quality inspection when a referral comes from a RE. The odds of getting a good inspection is better with a referral from a RE than it is going through the phone book and blindly picking out a name.

I can't help but think that the HI's who are dead set against RE referrals at one took took RE referrals and were the kind of inspectors who did a soft report and are basing their prejudice on their own experience.
    Sorry James no offense, I just have to disagree with that. I'm not a REa basher but I know for a fact, that some agents here at least, refer based on how (not so) picky an inspector is. We have a reputation for being "too nit picky" (quote from several agents), so I do believe the agents do steer the buyer wrong. We are referred by hundreds of agents, and have been for many years now, so if there is one thing I know, its REa.
    What I think is weird is how the REa adapt to a method of inspection and call it a standard. And even that varies from area to area.

Ted Menelly Guest

Sorry James. I have to agree with Marc. This board along with all others as well as the rest of the inspection community throughout the world will also disagree in varying degrees with your statement.

Every single inspector knows that there is in fact a fairly serous amount of Realtors that are in fact looking for the most trouble free inspector that there is out there. I am not talking of inspectors that lie or purposely do not write up certain concerns. I am talking of the line where you may write something up to cover your ass but stop at that point and make absolutely nothing about it. When in fact there should have been a bit more detial and expression of stronger concern about the concern.

How can you possibly miss the endless talk of Realtors that say this or sway that over and over and over on this board and all others.
    Do you really think that these folks are all exaggerating, giving felonious comments of so many Realtors. Do you think for one second when I make a statement such as " Well I wanted to get here early to explain to you how my inspector writes this and writes that and makes no big deal of anything and this is and that is grandfathered" etc etc etc" that I or others that make these statements are doing so for what ..... attention or something." Or, "This home is a Hud foreclosure and "WE" only want to know of the big things wrong in the home" meaning keep all the little things to yourself (what ever the little things mean). By the way. Who is we? My client hired me over the Realtors inspector referral because HE wanted to know everything there was about the property. Not just the big things. This woman approached me to tell me this. Making sure she giot to me before the client to explain how things are and should be. For her sake and the sake of the sale. I can give you hundreds of accounting's from countless inspectors that have experienced this on an ongoing basis their entire career.

It is not a matter of an inspector "trusting himself" It is a matter that these realtors will run into just the right inspector to further there on financial gain at the expense of their clients.

I recently had a top agent in the area that pushes a serious amount of property say to me after she got the report "How could you possibly have a 22 page report on this home? Did you have to write all that? After all, the home is a lovely property."

The report to large at 22 pages that had a good bit of pictures

Did I have to write up so much on this lovely property

James. You are either so blessed that you just absolutely never hear of this in your group of Realtors that Give you all your work or ????? I am not sure what the or would be.

The problem is massive and has been for all time. To just say "Just don't take referrals from that Realtor does what exactly? Brush it off to someone that will do their bidding?

I know that you are not so isolated in life where you do not hear or see the multitudes write of the ongoing referral problem between Realtors and Inspectors.

No, it is nothing like referring a contractor to give a proposal for work. There will be at the least one other contractor giving prices for the same work. At least one from the buyer and one from the seller.

One of the inspectors on here, Steven gave an accounting another inspector that the Realtor dragged kicking and screaming back to the home he inspected to defend his non writing and softening of the report that pulled him in the basement and said "I am sorry (it was more a confession to a priest) for my sins (embellished) but I am just trying to survive and feed my family.

I guess that one account of the multitude he and everyone has is all just foolishness.

You get all your work from Realtors and have a family member who is a Realtor (if I remember correctly). You may be somewhat isolated but I know you are not blind and deaf or you would not be an inspector.

There is a brand new (a year or so) inspector here in Texas that has a wife in the marketing realm and the last several years of being in sales and marketing was in the Real Estate industry. After that year or so they are looking to higher on an inspector due to the heavy flow t of work they have in an area were most inspectors talk of things being relatively slow. I am quite positive they never hear anything of this either.

I am also quite positive that the longer lived good inspectors that have been relatively busy throughout there inspection career in that area have suddenly done something wrong to start losing those referrals.

Oh yes. Marc gets most of his inspections from Realtors. He stated hundreds of Realtors refer his company.

Why is it that he wants to get away from his bread and butter? Just to throw money away? Hmm, I wonder I guess he must know of the influence Realtors try to put forth and the looks of possible influence the Realtors could have over the process.

Also, I guess all those millions of businesses that are getting all there work from the normal realm of advertising all suck as well.

Oh well. Its Sunday

No more griping for the day and bless you all.

We're the last line of defense for unsuspected buyers, IMOP, We have a huge responsibility to serve our clients, and they place so much trust in us all. It's just a shame that some agents who are also there to serve, put money before their responsibilities. For me, it's just getting old.

Ted Menelly Guest

It sucks to be all smiley and nice even if you do not like the person. Especiay if they have nothing to do with my inspection and the ultimate outcome of the decision from the buyer to buy or not other than trying to negotiate and add into addendum to the accepted offer to purchase.

It is not the Realtors Inspection. I am not assisting the Realtor in the sale of the home as others say they are, even if they do not mean it in a bad way. I am assisting the Realtor with absolutely nothing.

To be a "Realtors Vendor" negates you as the Clients Inspector. Well, it does for me anyway. I lose Realtors faster that I get them. I refuse to add anything, exclude anything, soften anything, including niceties, to someone I do not like or want to put up with or if I find them less than upright for their client.

Not sure of my overall average but my rates are up $50 per. Still filling my small part time schedule without a problem.

Ludwig Maxwell Guest

Here in Tampa Fl with 3 schools pumping out newbies for some time with no regard to the market sustainability has made it very hard for inspector in this regent.
    With in4 counties or 60 mils we have over 850 state certified Inspectors and I still receive calls asking if I am state certified LOL. I will let you think about whey realtors or using ______.

One realtor told me I did not know inspectors must be state certified he is just a friend of a friend.

This has pushed our price down.

Ludwig

Tampa Bay Home Inspections | Tampa Home Inspector - Divinity Inspection Service, LLC - Ludwig Maxwell, Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Maxwell View Post

You bet it does..

James Duffin Guest

We're the last line of defense for unsuspected buyers, IMOP, We have a huge responsibility to serve our clients, and they place so much trust in us all. It's just a shame that some agents who are also there to serve, put money before their responsibilities. For me, it's just getting old.
    That is why when you are referred by an agent you have the opportunity to help the buyer regardless of the ethics of the agent. You may not get another job from the agent if they are unethical but that is OK too. If you are a honest inspector...turning down the inspection because it is an agent referral helps no one but the agent if the agent is unethical.

That is why when you are referred by an agent you have the opportunity to help the buyer regardless of the ethics of the agent. You may not get another job from the agent if they are unethical but that is OK too. If you are a honest inspector...turning down the inspection because it is an agent referral helps no one but the agent if the agent is unethical.
    For sure...we've nixed a bunch of agents this year.

Ted Menelly Guest

For sure...we've nixed a bunch of agents this year.
    And the resdon you nixed them.

Good for you, but unlike what James truly believes, it solves absolutely nothing. Next inspector in line please.

That is why there should be no ................. Well, you know the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    And the resdon you nixed them.

Good for you, but unlike what James truly believes, it solves absolutely nothing. Next inspector in line please.

That is why there should be no ................. Well, you know the rest.

Ted,
    We nixed some of them for living up to their bad reputations.."he's too picky, he goes out of his way to find things, he's a trouble maker, he cost me my commission"....
    And oh yea, you nailed it, "Next inspector please".

Ted Menelly Guest

Ted,
    We nixed some of them for living up to their bad reputations.."he's too picky, he goes out of his way to find things, he's a trouble maker, he cost me my commission"....
    And oh yea, you nailed it, "Next inspector please".
    Marc

Follow the link here and read the comments all before Bobs blog. Especially the one directly before Bob, being Holly. Read the whole post and pay special attention to the end of it.

And what else will her inspector do???????

How Do You View Home Inspections?

Marc

Follow the link here and read the comments all before Bobs blog. Especially the one directly before Bob, being Holly. Read the whole post and pay special attention to the end of it.

And what else will her inspector do???????

Wow, that was a good read. That Bill/William guy was spot on. He says it all very well.
    Fantastic.

Ted Menelly Guest

Wow, that was a good read. That Bill/William guy was spot on. He says it all very well.
    Fantastic.
    Another agent and another reason

"As a buyers agent I want to see it all, with that said, I want to control the communication with my client on the summary, I do not want the inspector to kill the deal for me when they blow it out of the water. In the beginning I explain to my buyers that the inspector sees a shack and he is hired to find it all. That way they are prepared

As a listing agent, do not give me the BS small stuff you want to negotiate hit me with large items if any."

And the list is relentless. It never stops. I try to be kind and friendly and explain all these reasons and so many wish to blow it off. Why????

Because they live off of the Agents and feel they would be out of a job if they did not get referrals any longer. Little do they understand, all the inspections would still be out there. They would just be had like any other business on the face of the planet

I want to control

I want to be in charge.

The inspector sees a shack and blows it out of the water

My poor clients are overwhelmed and I must take charge and help them ......... to make my 5,000.00

They are grown ups and can find their own inspector just like they find the electrician to replace a panel. A garage to rebuild the lower end of their transmission. The lawyer to sue an inspector etc etc etc.

There are practically no Realtor Inspectors that want to see referrals go away. They want to be part of the sales teem. They want everything to go smoothly and let the Realtor take charge of the report after the inspection and let the Realtor decide what is best in the way of repairs for the client.

I love how the one female agent says

"I generally use two different inspection companies and assign them on their strengths."

She assigns them. You just have to love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or

"So, I choose the ones who can get their point across without causing heart failure." Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or

"I think you are smart to have different inspectors for different clients; it is important to know who your clients are." They are not the Realtors Inspector. When will they get it. SHE has different inspectors?

I have seen many many many of these kinds of postings by Realtors but this one has to take the cake in the recent past history.

Time for bed for another long day tomorrow.

Another agent and another reason

"As a buyers agent I want to see it all, with that said, I want to control the communication with my client on the summary, I do not want the inspector to kill the deal for me when they blow it out of the water. In the beginning I explain to my buyers that the inspector sees a shack and he is hired to find it all. That way they are prepared

As a listing agent, do not give me the BS small stuff you want to negotiate hit me with large items if any."

And the list is relentless. It never stops. I try to be kind and friendly and explain all these reasons and so many wish to blow it off. Why????

Because they live off of the Agents and feel they would be out of a job if they did not get referrals any longer. Little do they understand, all the inspections would still be out there. They would just be had like any other business on the face of the planet

I want to control

I want to be in charge.

The inspector sees a shack and blows it out of the water

My poor clients are overwhelmed and I must take charge and help them ......... to make my 5,000.00

They are grown ups and can find their own inspector just like they find the electrician to replace a panel. A garage to rebuild the lower end of their transmission. The lawyer to sue an inspector etc etc etc.

There are practically no Realtor Inspectors that want to see referrals go away. They want to be part of the sales teem. They want everything to go smoothly and let the Realtor take charge of the report after the inspection and let the Realtor decide what is best in the way of repairs for the client.

I love how the one female agent says

"I generally use two different inspection companies and assign them on their strengths."

She assigns them. You just have to love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or

"So, I choose the ones who can get their point across without causing heart failure." Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or

"I think you are smart to have different inspectors for different clients; it is important to know who your clients are." They are not the Realtors Inspector. When will they get it. SHE has different inspectors?

I have seen many many many of these kinds of postings by Realtors but this one has to take the cake in the recent past history.

Time for bed for another long day tomorrow.
    I guarantee this thread could go on for days on this issue. I just recently had an agent call me prior to showing up and tell me how he was double ending the deal on 1Mil and needed the money, so what ever I could do to help he would appreciate by telling all his friends about me.

James Duffin Guest

So you have two choices. You can either cancel the inspection and leave the buyer to the mercy of the unscrupulous RE or you can go do the inspection and do your best to help the buyer know what they are buying. Based on your other post I suspect you canceled the inspection.

So you have two choices. You can either cancel the inspection and leave the buyer to the mercy of the unscrupulous RE or you can go do the inspection and do your best to help the buyer know what they are buying. Based on your other post I suspect you canceled the inspection.
    I actually did the inspection and upon completion and based on my findings, the buyer chose not to buy the house. Haven't heard from the RE, yet.

Ted Menelly Guest

Or, and there always is an OR. Everyone could choose to put and end to this and work towards Realtors being out of the inspection business altogether. Then we don't have to worry about the Realtor that really needs this deal to go thru. He won't have another inspector to go to the next time. Instead of shuffling him down the road to the next inspector because he would be out of the inspector referral business.

Everyone of those Realtors in that blog would be out of the Home Inspector referrals business and they won't have inspectors that are part of the SALES team.

Ignore the Realtor (that will stop it)

Refuse the inspection (that will stop it)

Do the inspection as you should and he won't use you the next time (that will stop it)

Report the Realtor (yeah, like that will work and stop him) Do you have a signed confession?

James Duffin Guest

I actually did the inspection and upon completion and based on my findings, the buyer chose not to buy the house. Haven't heard from the RE, yet.
    Good for you....

Frank Adame Guest

I lost two jobs to two other inspectors who underbid me by $100 each. I quickly found out they both had inactive licenses. I then called a meeting with three other local inspectors with the idea to write a letter to five area realtor associations. This letter would be a request to include a warning in their monthly realtor newsletters about checking for valid inspector licenses. I got two associations to publish this request (14,000 combined realtor membership). I never did hear back from the other three inspectors.

I also worked for six months with one association about abolishing the cbs code requirements for us in this area. This time, together with two other inspectors, we did it. We have been cbs-code free for one year this September 25th.

My point is this: Working with local realtor associations to acheive something for all of us does work. I have been trying to figure out how to get more out of them. There has been a multitude of christmas wishes here so far. The tricky part is trying to get in with a trojan horse. Any thoughts?

Randy King Guest

Robert makes some good points, but after being in the inspection industry for some time I guess I may be a bit more skeptical of what is actually possible or achievable on a national or industry level. It would be nice to see the industry rise up together and create a level of professionalism to that of others and demand the fees that we all feel we should be getting but I just don't see it happening, and maybe this is the thought of many of those that have been around the block for awhile and ultimately the problem...just me speculating I guess.

With regards to real estate agents, I personally don't see why there is so much vitriol in the inspection industry and quite honestly I have never fully understood it. In ANY industry you are going to have unethical and un-professional people. Now this may be more of a prevelant factor in certain industries especially those that involve financial gain, commissions, or sales etc. but I think people are mistaken if you don't think you would encounter this in other avenues of work.

With that being said, I like many others have certainly encountered agents and even entire offices which have been quite difficult at times or even un-ethical but I have never and will never let it affect my business practices or image. What I do is simple, distance myself from those that I have worked with that I feel are unethical. This has worked well for me over the years and to be quite honest I have specific individuals and even entire offices real estate, mortgage or other that I will continue not to work with because I feel there is a bigger risk than what I could ever financially gain. Now, I am not unprofessional or rude to them at anytime but will simply be too busy or not have a timeline that works for them or their clients to prevent having a business relationship.

Now on the other and more positive end of the spectrum I have some great and downright awesome real estate agents that I have created relationships with over the years that are truly good at what they do and would never be unethical. These agents are the ones that recommend what they feel is in the best interest of their clients regardless of the outcome of their sales and are typically the ones that are doing the best in their respective marketplace. In addition, they also understand the benefits of a truly professional inspection and that the relationship between the inspector and realtor is a symbiotic one. This is a place I personally feel more of us should be at. It has been in my experience that the unethical or bad real estate agents, mortgage people, contractors and even inspectors will and eventually do run themselves out of business..as they say, the truth will eventually come out.

Now back to my original skepticisim after all my ranting; I just don't see the industry actually bettering itself anytime soon; I personally feel like there is too much competition and too many national orginizations that have members that feel like they are better than the next guy and aren't willing to work together or make change, I wish this were different but it's just how I feel. This is something that I have come to grips with and while and it is my conclusion that the best thing an inspector can do is better themselves and raise themself up to a level that is nearly unabttainable of those surrounding him/her.

Essentially, being the best you can be in your market and making sure others know YOU are the local expert. When that level has been achieved you can demand a much higher price and will ultimately have a better client base and will probably find that things are really what you make it.

Darrel Hood Guest

I think Randy nailed it. Well said.

My observation is that home inspectors have adversarial feelings for almost everybody in related industries including realtors, brokers, every kind of construction/repair contractor, homeowners, home buyers, lenders, insurance companies, other inspectors, AHJs, and on, and on, and on. The evidence for this is in myriad places in this forum. I can't help but believe this collective attitude of disdain is harming our ability to do business well. Randy's statements apply for many more people than just realtors.

Well said Randy. Unfortunately somebody on here will take partial quotes from your post, add additional wording and attempt to make you look foolish. Which is unfortunate.

Randy King Guest

Thanks for the comments gentleman. Now if we could only get everyone with such level-mindedness and understanding to join together we could actually make some positive change!

Robert - Like the stats at the end of your post, it is a very accurate picture as to the number of real estate agents to inspectors, and for those inspectors who are indeed keeping track of your sales and origin, a good predictor as to what you might actually be able to achieve for referrals from your "average" real estate agent.

Ken - Nice to see a fellow MN inspector, hope we get the opportunity to chat some day and bounce some ideas off each other. I'm sure someone will deviate my meaning of the post but it will only be to their loss. Unfortunately, to many inspectors get caught up in the "inspection-side" of the business and forget or just plain don't know how to effectively run a business.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Humphries View Post
    Perfectly stated (IMHO), Darrel.

Being adversarial is actually a very common symptom of industries, and the people who work in them, that want to prove to their part of the world that they have "worth" when working so symbiotically with other industries that are perceived to have more influence and prestige.

Basically, there are those in the inspection industry who are trying to create an air of prestige for themselves by tarnishing the prestige of real estate agents and their industry. This tactic is as old as mankind. "Make the other guy look bad so I don't have to put as much work into myself to make me look better than I am." It's almost a self-loathing issue for some inspectors.

In order for the inspection industry to grow, it's almost as if inspector on an individual basis need to let go of the "hate" and not succumb to the dark side.

Honestly, some inspectors who have a hard-on to berate and defame agents and the real estate industry over some bad past experiences (or isolated bad experiences) need to get over it. This industry will never be perceived as a "professional" industry until its operators start speaking with a professional tongue and performing professional deeds. Talking badly about other with who you work so closely (agents) is simply not professional no matter how many bad experiences inspectors have had with jack-ass agents.

There are 2.3 million licensed realty agents with about 500,000 selling 2 homes per year.

There are 90,000 inspectors with about 46,000 self-employed and only 18,000 of them working on a regular basis whether full-time or part-time. As an inspector, you are bound to run in to a disproportionate number of jack-ass real estate agents who ARE NOT representative of the overall real estate industry.

Bottom line to some: GROW UP AND GET OVER IT.

Bottom line to all: This industry has room for leaders in so many areas. Put aside your prejudices and be one. Please...for God's sake...be one.

Oh well, here goes. I well keep it short.

This is one of the most ignorant posts you have ever had on here.

You are a marketer that markets to Inspectors to market to agents. Why on earth would you say anything different.

You also are calling every single inspector that has ever posted the bull from realtors ignorant fools and to grow up and get over it

Prejudices, against Realtor. Bull. Only prejudice against Realtors and the massive quantity of Realtors that try to sway home inspectors and if they don't sway them they hunt around until they find one they can sway.

Randy. Ken was right. I will take a very direct quote from you and I am quite sure this is the quote I would have picked. Listen to your own words and dare come back and say things should be as they are and all Realtors are cuddly kittens. All you have to do is not inspect FOR THEM.

"With that being said, I like many others have certainly encountered agents and even entire offices which have been quite difficult at times or even un-ethical but I have never and will never let it affect my business practices or image. What I do is simple, distance myself from those that I have worked with that I feel are unethical. This has worked well for me over the years and to be quite honest I have specific individuals and even entire offices real estate, mortgage or other that I will continue not to work with because I feel there is a bigger risk than what I could ever financially gain. Now, I am not unprofessional or rude to them at anytime but will simply be too busy or not have a timeline that works for them or their clients to prevent having a business relationship."

Now. I am not being rude or unprofessional or unethical

But are you kidding me or what. Work together and solve what.

Level minded. Not in the slightest. You are ignoring the situation altogehter with an extreme blind eye and so what if there are hords of agents and offices out there that are unethical. Why not keep them around in the business of referring inspectors. I see no reason to change a thing. So wht for all those unsuspecting home buyers that are getting screwed over.

Un absolutely believable

I am done. Randy and everyone else posting about there being no problem, just ignore it, turn a blind eye, don't inspect for them, move on to an ethical Realtor that you can work with and damned be the inspector that will work on an everyday basis with those unethical Realtors and damned be those home buyers. Not my problem.

You folks need no one like me around. You make my case for me every single time you post.

On that note. You folks have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy and prosperous New Year.

Randy King Guest

Ted, you obviously have a different opinion and are entitled to it, but lets not be mistaken I didn't say and don't think ALL realtors are cuddly kittens nor am I having a blind eye to the situation in fact I RECOGNIZE the situation and limit my exposure to those who I prefer to not work with and NEVER do I comprimise the duty I have to my clients; I think you need to read the post more carefully, but thanks for putting words into my mouth. The reality is that you will NEVER completely erase everyone you don't like working with in the real estate transaction or any workplace for the matter. It is the people who learn tolerance and display professionalism above others who will succeed and thrive and leave the others in the dust.

The thing you quite obvisouly aren't open to or don't undertand is that every market is different and every inspector's experiences with realtors and other real estate professional's in THEIR OWN market is going to be different. For example I have very small communities that I service and larger ones, generally speaking the small community agencies are extremely friendly, very ethical and help everyone they can to their fullest abilities because if they don't the whole town will hear about it and they will be out of business quicker than you can say gone. I would never claim to think I have had your experiences or any other inspectors for the matter, but you can't speak for MY marketplace. Is it not possible for there to be any ethical and professional agents out there? Is it right for me to speak about your experiences with agents or the market you service? I don't think so, I only intend on continuing to be professional, treating everyone with respect and actually realizing what is feasible in progressing this industry forward. I think if people could be more open to each other and have more constructive discussions as opposed to being hyper-critical maybe more could actually be done in this industry.

With the being said, I have a business to tend to and grow and I hope you as well as others have a good and most of all safe Holiday! Good luck inspecting.

Don't worry about it too much Randy. I once said, "I assisted (ethical) agents in protecting the client". Ted turned it into me saying, "I assisted agents in selling the house."

By the way, I inspected a 3100 sq ft, 120 year old 4 plex today. Charged the client $500. Talking to the client after the inspection and found out he had spoken with another inspector and was quoted a price of $250. This inspection took me 5 hours, was 92 pages long and included 55 photos. What would he have gotten for $250???

Ted Menelly Guest

Gentlemen

I read all and always read all.

You folks are certainly entitled to your opinions.

Ken is right again. he did say assist but it was more of he assists the Realtor in the home sale or almost exactly that. I was not the only one to bring that to his attention and he also says the exact same thing you do. If they are unethical, don't work with them and they do their thing and he does his thing.

As far as you Randy. If I interpreted something in that paragraph that I quoted of your wrong I am surely apologetic. Fact is I believe I interpreted it right on. You do your thing and what they do has nothing to do with you..

I would also surmise that if you were to lose Realtor referrals because they were banned from doing so I believe you think you would be out of business tomorrow so you would never want them to go away.

Ahead of me right now I have 2 tomorrow, 2 Friday, unfortunately 1 on Saturday morning which I did not mean to do on Christmas eve, One on Monday and one on Tuesday.

Not one came from a Realtor referral. You only need about a million Referring past clients to keep constantly busy and I am still working on my millions so I have bad days and yes bad weeks. It can be done with out Realtor referrals. I do have 2 later on next week that are Realtor referrals. Imagine that. No, I dont hate Realtors.

I just hate this unabashed self indulgence with ones self and not even realizing or caring that their thinking is quite askew. Take another look. Check it out and then open a real "level minded" discussion on the matter.

In case you missed it. If you think there is nothing wrong with this that almost all the Realtors in this little tiny blog are out for themselves and they will show everyone including the buyer what is what and control everything. I just have no more words in this matter. I know I know, Thank God.

If you said the thank God to the thank God part then you never wanted a "level minded" discussion about anything. Just keep on keeping on.

Don't worry about it too much Randy. I once said, "I assisted (ethical) agents in protecting the client". Ted turned it into me saying, "I assisted agents in selling the house."

By the way, I inspected a 3100 sq ft, 120 year old 4 plex today. Charged the client $500. Talking to the client after the inspection and found out he had spoken with another inspector and was quoted a price of $250. This inspection took me 5 hours, was 92 pages long and included 55 photos. What would he have gotten for $250???
    Hey Ken..how long did it take you to do that report?

I just did a 3100 sq ft 70 year old house +pool+ crawl for $750, however, the report was 136 pages and took over 8 hours, 200+ photos. I understand my report program sucks which is why were changing it, but still, I feel like I got underpaid for that by $300. Unfortunately it's the going rate in Malibu for whatever reason.

Randy King Guest

Ted, nice to see a more pleasant response. I would however have to agree to disagree, which there is certainly nothing wrong with. Your assessment of my orginal post however is not "right on". I don't do my thing and they do theirs; as I stated before I fully recognize the situation and understand completely the problems unethical agents can cause for everyone in a transaction which is why again I distance myself from those that I feel are unethical, if you read my original post that was essentially my point. My thought is, why all the vitriol and hatred toward the entire industry of real estate agents? I don't find that anyone benefits from that type of attitude especially when you are trying to run a business and I find it hard to believe that EVERY real estate agent is a bad person.

With the being said, the last thing I worry about is being out of business because of a lack of realtor referrals, actually that statement makes me chuckle. I come from a background predominantly in business and have always been a huge proponent of diversifying your business and marketing efforts and never putting your eggs in one basket and still abide by that idealogy today. As a matter a fact I think if agents were not allowed to refer inspectors I would have an easier job marketing my business and it would open up more traditional types of marketing mediums with substantially more effective results.

Lastly Ted, I think you need to be more open to others perspectives before claiming that someone else's point of view is self indulgent or askew. Backing your opinion in this thread on the basis of an Activerain post blog which is largely comprimised of real estate agents is quite laughable. Who do you think is going to respond? Also, when you are dealing with a controversial subject much like political debates you are always going to get some of the most opinionated people to repsond and try to be louder than the next person so their point is heard, for example look at some of the inspectors comments who responded to that original post after reading what the agents were saying.

Like someone stated before, this thread could go on and on. I'm out on this thread, everyone have a good Holiday.

Gentlemen

I read all and always read all.

You folks are certainly entitled to your opinions.

Ken is right again. he did say assist but it was more of he assists the Realtor in the home sale or almost exactly that. I was not the only one to bring that to his attention and he also says the exact same thing you do.

No Ted, this is what I've said:

post #24 of this thread http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...rain-post.html
    Since you put your post back up, I'll respond to your response to me.

I've learned that my role is to inspect the house and relay my findings to my client. In the process I am assisting the agent with protecting the clients interest. The agents I get referrals from truly are trying to protect their clients. They don't want a soft report. In fact, they generally want a hard report so they can beat up the seller on the price.
    This is the 5th time I've had to point this out to you. I don't see how you can translate that to "assists the Realtor in the home sale or almost exactly that". Read exactly what I wrote and don't try to read between the lines as you so often do. Just like you've done to the current active rain post you've been discussing. You sit there reading it with an already biased opinion and don't actually read the words in front of you. Then you pick apart every syllable until you can come up with something so out of context that it's nothing remotely similar to what the poster wrote just so it fits your agenda. You must be in politics.

As of tomorrow I'm on vacation for a week. So have fun at my expense. Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 12-21-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Hey Ken..how long did it take you to do that report?

I just did a 3100 sq ft 70 year old house +pool+ crawl for $750, however, the report was 136 pages and took over 8 hours, 200+ photos. I understand my report program sucks which is why were changing it, but still, I feel like I got underpaid for that by $300. Unfortunately it's the going rate in Malibu for whatever reason.
    My report was done on site, so 5 hours total. No pool, no crawl, no garage. I felt underpaid also. My point was I can't believe someone was willing to do it for $250. Plus, the other inspector lived 90 miles from the house.

My report was done on site, so 5 hours total. No pool, no crawl, no garage. I felt underpaid also. My point was I can't believe someone was willing to do it for $250. Plus, the other inspector lived 90 miles from the house.
    Wow..that's cool that you do it on site. I'd love to be able to do that but just too stuck in my ways, good for you.
    I am always amazed with some of these guys willing to take on so much liability for no money.
    You know what?, I've instructed my staff, when they are qualifying a potential client to "feel them out" with respect to ; are they more interested in cost or quality. If we feel they are mainly geared towards cost, we will actually refer them to a "flat fee" company who offers inspections for $199. No joke, since implementing this, our conversion rations have almost doubled. That is to say, we've been able to open a dialog with respect to costs and quality that otherwise may not have been available to us. It just takes an extreme example I suppose. I mean people really start to think when you are comparing $199 to $400+.
    Funny thing is, I started because I was getting irritated that I was loosing out to "flat fee" companies.

Wow..that's cool that you do it on site. I'd love to be able to do that but just too stuck in my ways, good for you.
    I am always amazed with some of these guys willing to take on so much liability for no money.
    You know what?, I've instructed my staff, when they are qualifying a potential client to "feel them out" with respect to ; are they more interested in cost or quality. If we feel they are mainly geared towards cost, we will actually refer them to a "flat fee" company who offers inspections for $199. No joke, since implementing this, our conversion rations have almost doubled. That is to say, we've been able to open a dialog with respect to costs and quality that otherwise may not have been available to us. It just takes an extreme example I suppose. I mean people really start to think when you are comparing $199 to $400+.
    Funny thing is, I started because I was getting irritated that I was loosing out to "flat fee" companies.
    I was trained to do the report on site, so that's what I've always done. It's not for everyone. Keep in mind I can actually type 60 to 70 words per minute and all of my equipment is set up for extremely fast uploads to my computer.

When the client originally called me regarding the inspection we spoke a few minutes, I gave him a price then he asked why he should hire me. I told him because I wouldn't inspect the house to "code" and that he didn't want a code inspection. When he actually stated he did want a code inspection I explained that a code inspection was only addressing minimum building standards and does not address hazards such as aluminum wiring or Federal Pacific panels and explained each. He hired me. There were 5 Federal Pacific Stab Loc panels in the building.

He told me later that when he asked the other inspector the same question there was about 15 seconds of silence before the inspector said, "because I've been a carpenter for 20 years".

I was trained to do the report on site, so that's what I've always done. It's not for everyone. Keep in mind I can actually type 60 to 70 words per minute and all of my equipment is set up for extremely fast uploads to my computer.

When the client originally called me regarding the inspection we spoke a few minutes, I gave him a price then he asked why he should hire me. I told him because I wouldn't inspect the house to "code" and that he didn't want a code inspection. When he actually stated he did want a code inspection I explained that a code inspection was only addressing minimum building standards and does not address hazards such as aluminum wiring or Federal Pacific panels and explained each. He hired me. There were 5 Federal Pacific Stab Loc panels in the building.

He told me later that when he asked the other inspector the same question there was about 15 seconds of silence before the inspector said, "because I've been a carpenter for 20 years".
    I guess that's one way to do it... let them talk the client out of using them.
    You're website looks good, nice report too.

Ted Menelly Guest

OK Ken

OK Randy

I will stop talking or getting anyone to talk about the Realtor concerns. We will just choose not to discuss it from now on. We will all just agree that there is a problem and it is extremely wide spread. We will all just market Realtors and choose to ignore and not take referrals from the countless unethical realtors.

After all. What is the point. For every man that brings it up there will be those that try to squash it as fast as it comes up.

Try to work together on the problem and how to solve it? I think not. When the discussion goes in the proper direction it dies quickly because it is hampering income potentials and the protection for the right of realtor referrals takes place.

If anyone at all wonders why a group of people cannot work toward the goal that they no should be worked towards? This is the finest example.

It is called money.

Countless threads and countless sections of other threads have been started that had to do with countless realtor invasions on the ethicality of realtors. Everyone starts out with. Yeah, I got a story for you. Then a few try to start a dialog. Then a few folks get into the protectionism thing and all realtors are not bad and everyone backs off because they do not want to get into the Fray. I don't blame them.

Yes Ken. That is what you said. Now put everything else you said together with that over time??????? Yes Ken. What I said is what you said.

We can now dismiss one another and get to other topics.

Did I do that right?

Seriously, and I mean it.

Have a very wonderful Christmas and a Very happy New Year.

Yes Ken. That is what you said. Now put everything else you said together with that over time??????? Yes Ken. What I said is what you said.
    Let me get this right. I said, "In the process I am assisting the agent with protecting the clients interest." So you decided to turn that quote into "he assists the Realtor in the home sale or almost exactly that." based on other things I've said? That's about the worst justification for an outright lie that I've ever heard. Sounds to me you changed the quote to fit your agenda.

I'd like to see "everything else" I've "said together with that over time" that made you come to this conclusion. Please post links.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 12-21-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Those inspection fees are a sad commentary on the return for what it takes to perform a professionally conducted property inspection when you consider the consummate knowledge, physical and legal exposure that comes with it.
    Just made it to #14 on the thread so far but great comment sir.

Did not read through the entire thing however wish to state I feel the biggest issue with low prices is the knuckleheads posting prices on websites or other advertising as they are foolishly setting a standard and a very low one at that.

Thanks idiots and maybe we should all check every members site that's a member here and call them out if doing so.

Be proactive and do more than complain.After all that is all you guys do about this ,right,complain?

Is calling out a person adverting posting prices wrong?

Who's first???

(never see Doctors or Lawyers or even Agents posting them) wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    Did not read through the entire thing however wish to state I feel the biggest issue with low prices is the knuckleheads posting prices on websites or other advertising as they are foolishly setting a standard and a very low one at that.

Thanks idiots and maybe we should all check every members site that's a member here and call them out if doing so.

Be proactive and do more than complain.After all that is all you guys do about this ,right,complain?

Is calling out a person adverting posting prices wrong?

Who's first???

(never see Doctors or Lawyers or even Agents posting them) wonder why?
    We have nothing on our site with respect to fees. Actually, there is a comment in one of our videos that I think, our spokesperson actually says we're going to be much higher than most inspection companies. Or something like that.

We have nothing on our site with respect to fees. Actually, there is a comment in one of our videos that I think, our spokesperson actually says we're going to be much higher than most inspection companies. Or something like that.
    Glad to hear that Marc.
    It means you are not part of the low inspection fee issue.

Sure you have the 5% forum posters that brag they charge $500 or more @ however the majority of us are in the $300-400 range for average home.

THIS is too low.

If the $500 guys start thinking about pulling up the average then they can go $600 or more.
    Time to get involved, and maybe just calling out the price posters will be enough to start a chain reaction.

In most industries the older more experienced in a profession call the fee structure, but not in this one till now.

Newbies should not set prices like they do by posting prices to jump start their business.

Does everyone agree with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    Glad to hear that Marc.
    It means you are not part of the low inspection fee issue.

Sure you have the 5% forum posters that brag they charge $500 or more @ however the majority of us are in the $300-400 range for average home.

THIS is too low.

If the $500 guys start thinking about pulling up the average then they can go $600 or more.
    Time to get involved, and maybe just calling out the price posters will be enough to start a chain reaction.

In most industries the older more experienced in a profession call the fee structure, but not in this one till now.

Newbies should not set prices like they do by posting prices to jump start their business.

Does everyone agree with me?
    Yea agreed, well said.

I guess that's one way to do it... let them talk the client out of using them.
    You're website looks good, nice report too.
    Thanks, I did the website myself and do all the maintenance. I use Home Gauge software. It makes a very nice report for the client, but you have to know the software like the back of your hand to enter things quickly. It works well for multi family homes. Very easy to add individual sections for each unit.

Thanks, I did the website myself and do all the maintenance. I use Home Gauge software. It makes a very nice report for the client, but you have to know the software like the back of your hand to enter things quickly. It works well for multi family homes. Very easy to add individual sections for each unit.
    HG,HIP,3D are the top 3

Horizon and Report Host if online.

Being totally non partial in those comments as they come from watching every forum thread on the internet.(at least I try)

Don't even want to talk about websites or maintenance. The guy who did our sites is good, expensive, but good. After a while I just got sick of paying $200 per hour for adding blogs articles or changing text, adding pics etc..
    So we're looking for someone to maintain our sites. It's hard when you are website-illiterate.
    We're changing from inspectvue to HI pro at the moment - still adding our comments.

Don't even want to talk about websites or maintenance. The guy who did our sites is good, expensive, but good. After a while I just got sick of paying $200 per hour for adding blogs articles or changing text, adding pics etc..
    So we're looking for someone to maintain our sites. It's hard when you are website-illiterate.
    Hey, anyone can create a website.
    I bought my first computer when I started the business and never had any training or typing lessons in my life.

I now have 10 websites and my biggest producing sites are from when I had no idea what I was doing and they still look the same as then.
    Feel free to email me or chat on G chat,phone ,whatever.
    You just need a host that provides good templates that are user friendly.

The fact you are here posting says you have the skills needed.

I've learned basic computer language throughout the years, it's not really hard, just different, and not for everyone. However, it is time consuming. Not only to set up the web site but to optimize it so it constantly ranks high in search engines is an ongoing process. On average I spend at least 10 hours a week on my web presence, even if I'm not changing the web site.

You are doing it every time you post.

Ted Menelly Guest

We're changing from inspectvue to HI pro at the moment - still adding our comments.
    Seriously Marc. Call me. You will find out how truly easy it is and save yourself s fortune. Where you already have all your info it will be as easy as copy and paste to your own program. You need to know nothing for that. The technical end i can cover just from looking at your source code for titles and description and key words. The folks i use for the website builder and hosting make it as easy as hitting submit button to submit you site to the top folks like Google, yahoo, Bing, AOL, etc. You will never regret it and never look back and save yourself a fortune

Forgive spelling and such. At lunch on the cell

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 12-23-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Seriously Marc. Call me. You will find out how truly easy it is and save yourself s fortune. Where you already have all your info it will be as easy as copy and paste to your own program. You need to know nothing for that. The technical end i can cover just from looking at your source code for titles and description and key words. The folks i use for the website builder and hosting make it as easy as hitting submit button to submit you site to the top folks like Google, yahoo, Bing, AOL, etc. You will never regret it and never look back and save yourself a fortune

Forgive spelling and such. At lunch on the cell
    LOL, good thing you said that. thought you were drunk. I'll get intouch after J-1.

Here's a story for you guys..
    I just had a pretty interesting conversation yesterday with an agent. So I did this house overlooking the ocean last weekend. Nice huge house, expensive etc.. I ask the buyer where he got our number and he said the agents name who I've never heard of before. So anyhow, I call the guy on Monday to say thanks and see who he actually was. Anyhow, he's a big shot agent in 90210 that used to refer us a while back. So I ask...how come you stopped referring us... He answered, "You're too thorough". The house he referred me to was kind of a POS so I figured what..? He wanted to reduce his liabilities? Gotta love it.
    Merry Christmas

Ted Menelly Guest

Wednesday Am I was going to do an inspection but it got put off till Thursday AM. Anyway I called the Realtor to tell her the inspection was put off till Thursday morning and to give me a call if she hears any change. So, I get a call from the client that the inspection is definately back on Thursday AM and I call the agent because she is doing the scheduling. No answer from the agent so I just leave a message that I will be there at 8 .

Still no call from the agent but scheduled it anyway. Thursday am the agent calls me at 7:50 and says. I assume you are on your way to the inspection. I told her yes and she was rather abrupt and hung up.

I find out that she called "Her Inspector" on Wednesday evening and literally scheduled him to be at the property in the morning as well.

She had literally insisted that her client, which was my client three years ago and he called me to schedule this inspection, use her inspector. When the first inspection was called off and then she found out it was back on and called her inspector once agin to do the inspection. Totally ignoring the client and me. I talked with the client and found all this out when I was at the inspection Thursday morning.

This woman was so desperate that her Inspector be used and then I found out who the inspector was. You guessed it. Mr do nothing write nothing, no picture inspector. Hand written report that has three words for a concern. She wanted him so the deal would go right thru with out a hitch.The boldness and arogance to literally ignore the client, not answer my calls, schedule her own inspector when this is my client from three years ago and he called me to set up the inspection. Come to find out she did this for the Wednesday inspection and the Thursday inspection. I did not want to make things difficult for my client but did send a letter off to TREC ..... like that is going to do any good.

Just another story for you gents.

Have a great Christmas

Ted,
    You may have had some fun if you had made it a contest between the HIs. The one with the best report gets paid by the client and the loosing HI pays same amount to the winner. I know it is a sucker bet.

Back to the thread...I was looking at my avg. inspection fee for larger houses and I didnt really have one. Our office bids the project by images of the structure and info from the clients. No images no price. I kinda prefer it that way actually. For example, I bid/booked a 3700 + Huuuge pool+ 1000 sq ft guest house no crawl for $950. So his agent freaked out and gave him a number of her inspector who he called and was $450 less then us, so he told us. I took him off the schedule because i didn't want to get into a pissing match, plus its an 5-8 hour inspection for us. A day later he called back to re schedule. No dice, so I gave him Tim Spargo's number...
    Hey Tim, expect this call ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12