Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Default What is the code requirement for San Diego CA for AFCI and GFCIs

Which code are home inspectors using for these outlets?

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What is the code requirement for San Diego CA for AFCI and GFCIs

Which NEC or CEC is currently being enforced in that area? Are you asking about new construction or older installations that were built under previous editions? There are only a few instances where the codes are retroactive.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Which NEC or CEC is currently being enforced in that area? Are you asking about new construction or older installations that were built under previous editions? There are only a few instances where the codes are retroactive.
    Thanks for your reply. I am asking about existing homes, not new construction. Will the home inspector require that AFCIs and/or GFCIs be upgraded or is this still optional. The requirement was that any sink had to have a GFCI within so many feet of the fixture. Is it the kitchen and laundry rooms only that require both AFCI and GFCI protection for today's inspections?

The HI cannot require anything.

GFI protection for countertop receptacles has been required by the NEC for many code cycles, not just ones within 6' of the sink.

New construction needs to meet the requirements at the time of construction. Older installations are allowed to continue without being upgraded to more recent editions. Adding GFI or AFCI protection if the circuit is modified is one of the few exceptions.

Older installations are allowed to continue without being upgraded to more recent editions. Adding GFI or AFCI protection if the circuit is modified is one of the few exceptions.
    The NEC has, for a long time now, retroactively required installing GFCI protection for receptacles which are in locations which the current code requires GFCI protection when a receptacle is replaced in those locations.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The NEC has, for a long time now, retroactively required installing GFCI protection for receptacles which are in locations which the current code requires GFCI protection when a receptacle is replaced in those locations.
    New construction needs to meet the requirements at the time of construction. Older installations are allowed to continue without being upgraded to more recent editions. Adding GFI or AFCI protection if the circuit is modified is one of the few exceptions.

I thought I covered that, perhaps not a clearly as I could have.

[/COLOR]I thought I covered that, perhaps not a clearly as I could have.
    Not as clearly as you probably had in your mind.

You said if the circuit is modified, replacing a receptacle doesn't modify the circuit ... just replaces a receptacle.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Not as clearly as you probably had in your mind.

You said if the circuit is modified, replacing a receptacle doesn't modify the circuit ... just replaces a receptacle.
    I am still confused you guys. Please address this: My area is using the 2014 NEC Code. If I replace a receptacle in an older home, do I need to upgrade to a GFCI or AFCI as shown in the drawing submitted earlier in this post?

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Sanders Sr. View Post
    I am still confused you guys. Please address this: My area is using the 2014 NEC Code. If I replace a receptacle in an older home, do I need to upgrade to a GFCI or AFCI as shown in the drawing submitted earlier in this post?
    Per the 2014 NEC: (I've paraphrased the code, too much to type out)
    - 406.4(D) Receptacle Placements in areas currently requiring:
    - - (3) GFCI protection - the replacement receptacle requires GFCI protection
    - - (4) AFCI protection - the replacement receptacle requires AFCI protection with three ways to do this listed
    - - (5) Tamper-resistant - the replacement receptacle is required to be of the tamper-resistant type
    - - (6) Weather-resistant - the replacement receptacle is required to be of the weather-resistant type

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

What drawing?

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

What drawing?
    My mistake....drawing was in another post.

- - - Updated - - -

Per the 2014 NEC: (I've paraphrased the code, too much to type out)
    - 406.4(D) Receptacle Placements in areas currently requiring:
    - - (3) GFCI protection - the replacement receptacle requires GFCI protection
    - - (4) AFCI protection - the replacement receptacle requires AFCI protection with three ways to do this listed
    - - (5) Tamper-resistant - the replacement receptacle is required to be of the tamper-resistant type
    - - (6) Weather-resistant - the replacement receptacle is required to be of the weather-resistant type
    Thanks Jerry. Clear now.

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

My mistake....drawing was in another post.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jerry. Clear now.
    To answer Jim's question in Post #2, I found out that my local area, (Carlsbad, CA) is using the 2013 Version of the NEC.

My home was built by an Electrical Contractor and was all electric. Being a Plumber guess what the first change I made to my home was?. You are right... ran gas to WH, Dryer and FAU. I did not change the Oven and Range because my wife says she likes electric for that appliance. Been saving bucks for 30 years so far...

There is no 2013 NEC. 2011 and 2014.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

There is no 2013 NEC. 2011 and 2014.
    I am sure you are correct, I quoted what the City of Carlsbad told my wife when she answered their return call to my home. Thanks for letting me know. I realize that employees of the City are not infallible, but it is just a reminder that all info given is not necessarily correct.

I am sure you are correct, I quoted what the City of Carlsbad told my wife when she answered their return call to my home. Thanks for letting me know. I realize that employees of the City are not infallible, but it is just a reminder that all info given is not necessarily correct.
    No problem - I seen plans approved by cities where the architects put write 2010 NEC and the city does not make note of it (i.e., "approves" the plans) - there is no 2010 NEC either. I write that off as a "typo" because everyone knows that should have been 2008 (Florida is still on the 2008 NEC statewide, so regardless of what the architect writes down, the 2008 is the applicable NEC until the next edition of the Florida Building Code).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

California is on the 2011 NEC, the 2014 is irrelevant in CA and will continue to be until adopted by the State in a few years. Edit: The State decides when a particular code edition is adopted then the various jurisdictions (cities, counties) adopt it/them.

Last edited by Rollie Meyers; 10-19-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added comment.