Thread: Media rooms

Default Media rooms

I got into an interesting debate with another inspector recently about media rooms. He came to me with a code perspective question regarding the need for a window (emergency escape and rescue opening ) and a smoke detector in a media room JUST IN CASE the room should ever be used as a spare bedroom by some future occupant.

My perspective was that if the plans for the dwelling are approved by the local code authority without a window and smoke detector in the designated media room that dwelling is indeed in code compliant in that regard.

My one caveat was that I would warn my client in the written report that the media room should never be used as a spare bedroom and let the client know why. I would be interested in knowing how others handle this circumstance.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Media rooms

"...I would warn my client in the written report that the media room should never be used as a spare bedroom ..."

I understand your concern, however, I do not think it nessasary report that it is not to be used as a bedroom.

Would / do you also report the same if it were an, office, den, recreation room, dressing room...?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "...I would warn my client in the written report that the media room should never be used as a spare bedroom ..."

I understand your concern, however, I do not think it nessasary report that it is not to be used as a bedroom.

Would / do you also report the same if it were an, office, den, recreation room, dressing room...?
    I agree with Rick.

About 20% of the homes I inspect will have a "real" media room in them. They usually have special lighting, seating, and sound systems.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

He came to me with a code perspective question regarding the need for a window (emergency escape and rescue opening ) and a smoke detector in a media room JUST IN CASE the room should ever be used as a spare bedroom by some future occupant.
    PS: That need is very real if the room has a closet.

My one caveat was that I would warn my client in the written report that the media room should never be used as a spare bedroom and let the client know why. I would be interested in knowing how others handle this circumstance.

PS: I think you should mention it. I also mention this when offices or studies are incorporated into the floor plan with or without closets. Addi tonally, even though the media room may be specifically outfitted for just that purpose, I mention the desirability of the installation of a smoke alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post

PS: That need is very real if the room has a closet.

Not all bedrooms have closets,
    not all rooms with closets are bedrooms.

The house being inspected is listed as X# bedrooms.
    If the room is not represented, presented or listed as being a bedroom and is not being used as a bedroom then no need to address possible future use as a bedroom.

If the house is listed as X# of bedrooms and one of the bedrooms is being used for some other purpose, then it should be considered a bedroom on the report.
    Same thing goes when listed as "could be a 4 bedroom".

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I think one should always err on the side of caution... but I can see both sides in this.
    If the home is being bought be a reasonably affluent person that is apt to use the room as intended, I tend not to be too concerned, but if it is going to a large family and the need for another bedroom is apparent, then I make a big deal about it. Any doubt and I mention the lack of emergency egress, etc.
    Most newer homes I see tend to have the smoke detector in the media room even though it may not be required.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I think one should always err on the side of caution... but I can see both sides in this.
    If the home is being bought be a reasonably affluent person that is apt to use the room as intended, I tend not to be too concerned, but if it is going to a large family and the need for another bedroom is apparent, then I make a big deal about it. Any doubt and I mention the lack of emergency egress, etc.
    Most newer homes I see tend to have the smoke detector in the media room even though it may not be required.
    JL: I have done hundreds of inspections for families that were both reasonably affluent and large. Case in point many of the families headed by Indian engineers.

Additionally, since an HI report is usually a point of future disclosure, it may stand to benefit the next property owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Stojanik View Post
    I got into an interesting debate with another inspector recently about media rooms. He came to me with a code perspective question regarding the need for a window (emergency escape and rescue opening ) and a smoke detector in a media room JUST IN CASE the room should ever be used as a spare bedroom by some future occupant.

My perspective was that if the plans for the dwelling are approved by the local code authority without a window and smoke detector in the designated media room that dwelling is indeed in code compliant in that regard.

The IRC requires minimum natural light of 8% of the floor area and minimum natural ventilation of 4% of the floor area, and, if a "sleeping room" (bedroom) then the room requires EERO sized windows.

Except ... the 2006 IRC includes a change in that which allows for rooms ("media room" is not named by name) to not have natural light and ventilation.

CAN a media room with no window be used as a bedroom at some point in the future? Sure, just like a kitchen CAN be used as a bedroom, and just like a living room CAN be used as a bedroom, and doing so would violate the codes.

Now, when a window is installed, and if the room is suitable for use as a bedroom, such as it has a smoke detector inside and outside and there is a closet which could serve as a clothes closet, then I would look for the window to also meet EERO sizes.

Otherwise (no closet, no smoke detector, just a window) the window would need to meet the 8%/4% requirements.

Does this get into a dark and dirty area? Yes, like basements did, and basements now must have an EERO *even if not used for living space* - because the code recognizes that it likely will be at some point in time, probably the day after final inspection.

Thus I would not be surprised to see changes to that exception in future code editions, especially after a couple of people die in them. I can imagine the code eventually treating them like basements - at least one EERO and a smoke detector. By default, then, they would meet the requirements for sleeping rooms even though they may not have a closet - but that will likely be several code cycles away, depends on how soon people start dying in those room.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Scott Murdock Guest

Hope it this is not a stupid question but speaking from the point of view of a past Realtor you should not list any room that does not have a window and a closet as a bedroom (even tho it happens all the time). Now as an inspector do we have some ethical or otherwise obligation to let people know what a room may be used for in the future? Seems to be a crystal ball question that could be applied to any room of the house so I would not note it unless it was expressly said to me by the client that someone was going to sleep in the kitchen or whatever room in question.

A.D. Miller Guest

Thus I would not be surprised to see changes to that exception in future code editions, especially after a couple of people die in them. I can imagine the code eventually treating them like basements - at least one EERO and a smoke detector. By default, then, they would meet the requirements for sleeping rooms even though they may not have a closet - but that will likely be several code cycles away, depends on how soon people start dying in those room.
    JP: Yep. Just like nearly everything else in the code, it is all about body count.

" it is all about body count"

I heard that the bathroom is where the most deaths happen.
    Have a heart attack, strain to hard.
    Don't know if it's true or not.

No window in our media room. Can't imagine having one. The light f's with the movie screen.

We do have a smoke detector, and a phone.

If there is a fire, I'm eating my way through the drywall, kickin out some bricks and jumping to the ground while holding onto my DLP 1080 projector.

No window, I'm not skeered.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Stojanik View Post

Patewy

If it is listed as a three bedroom 3 bath home and a media room then that is what it is.

You are not responcible for future inhabitants plans for the home.....Period.

Aaron is blowing smoke. A lot of media rooms have closets for the equipment. Now if you were to smoke the same stuff Aaron does then you may be second guessing yourself on that one as your mind would be wondering.

Now if they ask you specifically about its use as a bedroom then I guess you should answer that question with the disclaimer that the room is a media room at this time and future use as a bedroom would call for different safety issues.

A little edit here

JP is smoking the same stuff as Aaron (hmm, Aaron with 2 A's ) A media room is a media room. The pain in the butt for windows in it is absurd. Youn are defeating the idea of a media room.

Now RH is not blowing any smoke or anything else. A smoke detector would be a smart choice as when you are watching an awsome movie with lots of sound and you are getting rumbled out of yur chair you may want a smoke detector to alert you of a fire.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 07-10-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    No window in our media room. Can't imagine having one. The light f's with the movie screen.
    Rick,

Probably 90% or so of the media rooms I inspected had windows with heavy drapes and *NO* light coming in.

In a few AHJ I did find media rooms with no windows (most did not allow that) and I pointed that out to my clients. They did not want the windows, nonetheless, though, *I* pointed it out to them and put it in my report so that *THEY* could not come back to me later when they went to sell and say "Why didn't you tell me I would need to put a window in when I went to sell?" My answer would have been "*I* *DID* tell you and *I* *DID* put it in the report, and *I* did go over it with you, and *YOU* insisted on not wanting a window, here it is in my report."

*I* feel we owe it to our clients to point things like that out to them.

*I* also feel it is their final decision, but I want it on record that I told them about it and discussed it with them.

Some day media rooms will go out of fashion and then they will want to use that space for something else, and that something else *WILL* need a window.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

JL: I have done hundreds of inspections for families that were both reasonably affluent and large. Case in point many of the families headed by Indian engineers.

Additionally, since an HI report is usually a point of future disclosure, it may stand to benefit the next property owners.

Now I know it is PROPER English I can not stand it when folks use the an word before home inspection. I could care less how proper it is. It just looks and sounds improper.

An Home inspection report or A home inspection report. Certain usage might sound better as an but in most instances a is just fine. What a crazy language we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Now I know it is PROPER English I can not stand it when folks use the an word before home inspection. I could care less how proper it is. It just looks and sounds improper.

An Home inspection report or A home inspection report. Certain usage might sound better as an but in most instances a is just fine. What a crazy language we have.
    I don't know where this came from, but here is the rule:
    Ted, "An" apple "A" boy. "An" precedes a word which starts with a vowel (A,E,I,O,U).
    "An Home inspection" would be incorrect; at least where I went to school.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Now that you have brought of proper use of English ...

"I could care less how proper it is" really should be 'I could NOT care less how proper it is'.

When you say "I could care less" you are saying that you "could" care less, which is the opposite of what you meant to say.

The saying really is "I couldn't care less".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I don't understand what you mean?

"Now that you have brought of proper use of English "

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    I think I may be in an parallel universe where 'An Home Inspection' is correct and Ted is correcting people's grammar!
    (A universe or an universe, Jim??)
    "A" parallel universe or "An" universe which is parallel.
    Something is wrong if "I" am correcting grammar or spelling. Just ask my wife the teacher!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Rick,

Probably 90% or so of the media rooms I inspected had windows with heavy drapes and *NO* light coming in.

In a few AHJ I did find media rooms with no windows (most did not allow that) and I pointed that out to my clients. They did not want the windows, nonetheless, though, *I* pointed it out to them and put it in my report so that *THEY* could not come back to me later when they went to sell and say "Why didn't you tell me I would need to put a window in when I went to sell?" My answer would have been "*I* *DID* tell you and *I* *DID* put it in the report, and *I* did go over it with you, and *YOU* insisted on not wanting a window, here it is in my report."

*I* feel we owe it to our clients to point things like that out to them.

*I* also feel it is their final decision, but I want it on record that I told them about it and discussed it with them.

Some day media rooms will go out of fashion and then they will want to use that space for something else, and that something else *WILL* need a window.

If it does go out it going to be some time down the road. Jerry, I'm seeing people spending litterally thousands upon thousands of bucks on media room equipment. I call them Man Caves.

The stores that sells the stuff here in Dallas is booming. You see now on the highway more trucks that do Home Theatre work than you see Pest Control trucks anymore.

Nothing like having a 120 inch movie screen in your own pitch black room without a window. Fad, I don't think so.

Wait and see how many people start converting those 2 car garages into media rooms.

rick

I don't understand what you mean?

"Now that you have brought of proper use of English "
    Oh dear ... it affects us all ... ... I meant to say "brought up".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Nothing like having a 120 inch movie screen in your own pitch black room without a window. Fad, I don't think so.
    It is, some things take a while to catch on, build up steam, then interest is lost and it is on to something else, maybe a decade or two later, but it has taken a decade or more for the fad to catch on, so it will naturally take a while to fade out.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

Today while spending what seen a lifetime in an attic 150 degrees, I thought about attic saunas and wondered if they'd be poplar.

Nah!

rick

Jerry,

Today while spending what seen a lifetime in an attic 150 degrees, I thought about attic saunas and wondered if they'd be poplar.

Nah!

rick
    They are with home inspectors! Home inspectors just cannot wait to get in 1-2-3 times per day.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerry,
    So according to the 06 IRC you can have a basement media room w/0 windows and artificial ventilation. The reason I ask is because I just inspected a place Tues with a basement media room that was about 1500 square feet. No windows or ventilation. Had in floor radiant. The room was really musty. Built in 2008.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    I think I may be in an parallel universe where 'An Home Inspection' is correct and Ted is correcting people's grammar!
    (A universe or an universe, Jim??)
    FK: I think it's duck and cover time . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Jerry,
    So according to the 06 IRC you can have a basement media room w/0 windows and artificial ventilation. The reason I ask is because I just inspected a place Tues with a basement media room that was about 1500 square feet. No windows or ventilation. Had in floor radiant. The room was really musty. Built in 2008.
    Not really allowed (note exception I've underlined and commented on below the code text), because basements are specifically stated as requiring an EERO.

From the 2006 IRC. (bold and underlining is mine)
    - R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required. Basements and every sleeping room shall have at least one operable emergency and rescue opening. Such opening shall open directly into a public street, public alley, yard or court. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency egress and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Where emergency escape and rescue openings are provided they shall have a sill height of not more than 44 inches (1118 mm) above the floor. Where a door opening having a threshold below the adjacent ground elevation serves as an emergency escape and rescue opening and is provided with a bulkhead enclosure, the bulkhead enclosure shall comply with Section R310.3. The net clear opening dimensions required by this section shall be obtained by the normal operation of the emergency escape and rescue opening from the inside. Emergency escape and rescue openings with a finished sill height below the adjacent ground elevation shall be provided with a window well in accordance with Section R310.2. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.
    - - Exception: Basements used only to house mechanical equipment and not exceeding total floor area of 200 square feet (18.58 m2).

Note that if the basement has one or more sleeping rooms AND other rooms, such as the media room, then, no, an EERO would not be required "in the media room" but would be required in *each* sleeping room.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

This is probably an old argument, but is a media room actually considered a "sleeping room" and subject to emergency egress and window reqirements?

Not in my opinion as that is not it's intended purpose.

Michael
    "but is a media room actually considered a "sleeping room" ..."

No, unless it is a sleeping room being used as a media room.

"...and subject to emergency egress and window requirements?"

No
    Unless, the media room is in the basement, then, yes it must have EERO.
    Exception; If there is 1 or more bedrooms in the basement, which are required to have and do EERO in them, then the basement is not required to have an EERO.

Michael Larson Guest

Michael
    "but is a media room actually considered a "sleeping room" ..."

No, unless it is a sleeping room being used as a media room.

"...and subject to emergency egress and window requirements?"

No
    Unless, the media room is in the basement, then, yes it must have EERO.
    Exception; If there is 1 or more bedrooms in the basement, which are required to have and do EERO in them, then the basement is not required to have an EERO.
    Trust me I get it.

But what if there is no bedroom and only a family room and bathroom? Hmmm?

No required in my understanding but I have heard other proclaim the need anyway.

I see a fair amount of media rooms under the garage slab with no windows. Makes for a nice quite and dark experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    Trust me I get it.

But what if there is no bedroom and only a family room and bathroom? Hmmm?

No required in my understanding but I have heard other proclaim the need anyway.
    In a basement? EERO *IS* required ... period (if there are no sleeping rooms as you stated).

EVERY basement MUST have an EERO unless the basement meets this exception: "Exception: Basements used only to house mechanical equipment and not exceeding total floor area of 200 square feet (18.58 m2)."

ONLY IF ... there is a sleeping room in the basement do the other areas not require an EERO.

You said "Trust me I get it." then asked "But what if there is no bedroom and only a family room and bathroom?", which indicates that you do not "get it" - otherwise you would not have asked that question.

Or would you like to try again and go back and rephrase your statement and question?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

In a basement? EERO *IS* required ... period (if there are no sleeping rooms as you stated).

EVERY basement MUST have an EERO unless the basement meets this exception: "Exception: Basements used only to house mechanical equipment and not exceeding total floor area of 200 square feet (18.58 m2)."

ONLY IF ... there is a sleeping room in the basement do the other areas not require an EERO.

You said "Trust me I get it." then asked "But what if there is no bedroom and only a family room and bathroom?", which indicates that you do not "get it" - otherwise you would not have asked that question.

Or would you like to try again and go back and rephrase your statement and question?
    I ask questions to promote discussion instead of your typical pontifications.

Get over yourself please.

Of course a basement with a media room and no bedrooms requires another escape route and I would call it out if it isn't there.

Typically a basement walkout to grade is what is seen in this area through a sliding patio door.

Now move along as there is really nothing for you to complain about here.

I ask questions to promote discussion instead of your typical pontifications.

Get over yourself please.
    Oh, I get it ... *YOU* can say things like that to others, but *OTHERS* cannot say things like that to *YOU* ... oh, how childish you are - you have no problem dishing it out, but you cannot take it back? What a wimpette!

Now move along as there is really nothing for you to complain about here.
    Yep, you need to move along and quit complaining about what others post as you cannot accept the same about your posts. Sheesh! I figured you as a two faced wimp, but you beat that - you are a two faces wimpette.

Michael, grow up. Either shut up or put up with what you do to others.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Michael, grow up. Either shut up or put up with what you do to others.
    JP: Don't you know that ML is actually Peter Pan? He will never grow up.

Mark Howe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I don't know where this came from, but here is the rule:
    Ted, "An" apple "A" boy. "An" precedes a word which starts with a vowel (A,E,I,O,U).
    "An Home inspection" would be incorrect; at least where I went to school.
    Hi Jim,
    That is not really correct. The use of indefinite articles is dependent on the sound of the vowell, not the vowell itself. For instance, the consanant 'F' begins with a vowell sound (eff), so if you were to say "I got a F on my report card", you would be wrong. The word 'historic' or the phrase 'Home Inspector' begin with a "sounded" 'H', so you would use 'a' not 'an'. The word 'hour' begins with a vowell sound (ow), so, 'an' would be correct.

Some believe that the American misuse of 'an' before 'historic' and other sounded 'H' words has its roots in the English (as in The U.K.) pronunciations ('istoric; 'ome inpector; etc.), where the article 'an' would be correct.

Tim

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Howe View Post
    Hi Jim,
    That is not really correct. The use of indefinite articles is dependent on the sound of the vowell, not the vowell itself. For instance, the consanant 'F' begins with a vowell sound (eff), so if you were to say "I got a F on my report card", you would be wrong. The word 'historic' or the phrase 'Home Inspector' begin with a "sounded" 'H', so you would use 'a' not 'an'. The word 'hour' begins with a vowell sound (ow), so, 'an' would be correct.

Some believe that the American misuse of 'an' before 'historic' and other sounded 'H' words has its roots in the English (as in The U.K.) pronunciations ('istoric; 'ome inpector; etc.), where the article 'an' would be correct.

Tim
    If you are attempting to make literati of these guys you have a hard row to hoe, my friend. And, you might invest in a dictionary yourself. You will likely not find the words "vowell" or "consanant" therein. But, I applaud your attempt to get them to work on their pronunciation.

Thus, one would be correct in saying "a home inspection" and "an HI" (acknowledging the semi-correctness of the use of "HI" as a made up abbreviation for "home inspection" which we use here).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Mr. Peck,

I have observed you on this message board for 4 years.

You are arrogant, unnecessarily condescending and on top of that an unapologetic Bush hater which makes me question a number of things about your character. So when I poke at you don't acted all hurt. It's just my way of getting your goat.

Yes, you need to get over yourself.

The world will survive just fine without your presence.

Have a nice day.

Hi Jim,

Tim
    Like I said, "Something is wrong if "I" am correcting grammar or spelling. Just ask my wife the teacher!"
    I guess I learned the rule but not the exceptions!
    Articles: A versus An - The OWL at Purdue

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 07-11-2009 at 01:34 PM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A.D. Miller Guest

You are arrogant, unnecessarily condescending and on top of that an unapologetic Bush hater
    JP: I would wear that like a badge, if I were you.

Mark Howe Guest

If you are attempting to make literati of these guys you have a hard row to hoe, my friend. And, you might invest in a dictionary yourself. You will likely not find the words "vowell" or "consanant" therein. But, I applaud your attempt to get them to work on their pronunciation.
    I guess I do need to spell check more regularly. I do own several dictionaries; BTW, I just use them for more important writing, not for extemporaneous writing on web forums. Thanks for the correction though; the fact that you would take time out from your busy day to point out someone’s mistakes, is...well....typical (and painfully boorish). My reply, just so you know, was regarding the use of indefinite articles, not pronunciation...but I digress.

I was attempting to add clarity to the question of the proper use of indefinite articles. My purpose was not to point out Jim’s possible misunderstanding of the 'rule', but to add something to the discussion.

Thanks again for pointing out my spelling errors. I am on a constant quest for literacy and I take my lessons wherever I can get them.

KOKO

Tim

Last edited by Mark Howe; 07-11-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Jerry,

Nah!

rick
    The bottom of the sheathing in the attic of a home (if you want to call it that...dump)

148 degrees

Gitter done...........................................or what ever that phrase is

Oh yeah

I aint not gonna cowect no one# no how! none more& about dare usahg of Engwish

By the way. I guess I am like many others. Sometimes I just throw things in there to see what if anything will come back. It breaks the monotony.

I was attempting to add clarity to the question of the proper use of indefinite articles. My purpose was not to point out Jim’s possible misunderstanding of the 'rule', but to add something to the discussion.
    Tim
    I, for one, thank you for the information.
    I need all the help I can get.

Larson,

Seems that someone (me) doing to you as you do to others (most often me) has got your goat alright.

Guess that makes you two faced in that you can give it but you cannot take it.

Like if full of cowards like you. If you cannot take "it" (whatever "it" is) then you should be controlling yourself and not giving "it" out.

I KNEW my post would spark a fire under you because I KNEW you could not take what you dish out.

As I said, either grow up and take it like a man or shut up and quit whimpering like a kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

By the way, I think you spilled something on your pants ... or did you wet them ...

Grow up and learn to take it or shut up.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Larson,

Seems that someone (me) doing to you as you do to others (most often me) has got your goat alright.

Guess that makes you two faced in that you can give it but you cannot take it.

Like if full of cowards like you. If you cannot take "it" (whatever "it" is) then you should be controlling yourself and not giving "it" out.

I KNEW my post would spark a fire under you because I KNEW you could not take what you dish out.

As I said, either grow up and take it like a man or shut up and quit whimpering like a kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

By the way, I think you spilled something on your pants ... or did you wet them ...

Grow up and learn to take it or shut up.
    Keep believing your own lies Peck.

The truth hurts sometimes.

The truth hurts sometimes.
    So now you are admitting it, huh? It hurts less not that you have accepted it and can smile about it.

Very good, acceptance is the first step toward recovery, you may be on your way. Will have to see what you next posts are like.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

So now you are admitting it, huh? It hurts less not that you have accepted it and can smile about it.

Very good, acceptance is the first step toward recovery, you may be on your way. Will have to see what you next posts are like.
    You've been tipping a few too many back I see.

Watch out for elbow injuries.

mathew stouffer Guest

I should have been more specific. This media room was attached to the basement, which had the required egress. The house was pretty big. But, the theater room had no ventilation. I thought this was required.

You've been tipping a few too many back I see.

Watch out for elbow injuries.
    Michael,

Your posts confirm what I am saying.

(sigh)

Carry on if you must continuing confirming your idiocy in actions, but carry on without me.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I should have been more specific. This media room was attached to the basement, which had the required egress. The house was pretty big. But, the theater room had no ventilation. I thought this was required.
    Code....no code....Any room of any size that does not have ventilation including large walk in closets...I write up and always have. That is just the brink and over the brink not to ad ventilation in any room of size in a home. Even if it were to keep it from getting stuffy and musty or just hot or cold or stale clothes etc.

All rooms and any size other than small closets need ventilation.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 07-12-2009 at 10:04 AM.

A.D. Miller Guest

Code....no code....Any room of any size that does not have ventilation including large walk in closets...I write up and always have. That is just the brink and over the brink not to ad ventilation in any room of size in a home. Even if it were to keep it from getting stuffy and musty or just hot or cold or stail clothes etc.

All rooms and any size other than small closets need ventilation.
    TM: Would you pleeeeeeeeeeeaze go to:

ieSpell - Download

and install the software and then use it? Or, alternately I guess you could just continue to sit there on your front porch and roll doobies with the dictionary pages.

Ted Menelly Guest

TM: Would you pleeeeeeeeeeeaze go to:

ieSpell - Download

and install the software and then use it? Or, alternately I guess you could just continue to sit there on your front porch and roll doobies with the dictionary pages.

One wrong out of 70 to 80 words....Geeeesh...I would think you would be telling me of *complete thoughts* and *better grammer* since on here I completely stink at that. At least some times I hit the abc button with the check mark below it. Whatever that means.................

Oh yeah....there is an s in please not a zzzzzzzzzzzz...But I get it

Michael Larson Guest

Michael,

Your posts confirm what I am saying.

(sigh)

Carry on if you must continuing confirming your idiocy in actions, but carry on without me.
    Just returning the favor and tone of what you post.

Hope you're up for it.

dsuser896 Guest

that sounds outrageous to me. I think the guy's just being picky.

john_opwin Guest

When we think about media room the fist thing that comes to mind are chairs, sofas, recliners etc which can provide comfort to spend a couple of hours in media room.

I sleep in my media room, don't has no window, hope I don't has an home inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McKay View Post
    I sleep in my media room, don't has no window, hope I don't has an home inspection.
    So, hooked on phonics didn't work?

john_opwin Guest

Scott is probably right........

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McKay View Post
    So, hooked on phonics didn't work?
    What's the problem, Rick? SpellCheck didn't find any problems with that sentence.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com