Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Low voltage cables in disconnect box

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-11-2007 at 07:44 PM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Low voltage cables in disconnect box

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    Does anyone call for repairs for low voltage cables in A/C disconnect box?
    Yes, always.

Also, does anyone know what type of conduit is used to the disconnect box?
    The one on the left looks like flexible metal conduit or even AC cable(either is mostly not acceptable for use outside), the one on the right looks like smurf tube (not acceptable for use outside). Now, if the one on the right is non-metallic liquid tight conduit with a screw in fitting, then it is okay for use outside.

Was the one on the right 'spiral' looking or were the corrugations non-spiral? Non-spiral would indicate smurf tube, spiral would indicate non-metallic liquid tight - I can't tell for sure from the photo which it is.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Wes Stevens Guest

Default Doorbell Transformer Inside Main Circuit Panel

Can anybody give me a code reference that specifically states that doorbell transformers with associated low voltage wiring are not allowed inside Main and Auxiliary circuit panels.

John Allingham Guest

Wes
    Start a new thread and you will get the answer.

Default Re: Doorbell Transformer Inside Main Circuit Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Stevens View Post
    Can anybody give me a code reference that specifically states that doorbell transformers with associated low voltage wiring are not allowed inside Main and Auxiliary circuit panels.

If you are looking for something which specifically states "door bell transformers", good luck, if you want it to be code, you will need to accept the way the code says it, in types of wiring, such as Low voltage Class 1, 2, 3.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 09-23-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

From the 2008 NEC. (Bold and underlining are mine) (there is more to this section, but it is not applicable to the question asked)
    - 725.136 Separation from Electric Light, Power, Class 1, Non–Power-Limited Fire Alarm Circuit Conductors, and Medium-Power Network-Powered Broadband Communications Cables.
    - - (A) General. Cables and conductors of Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall not be placed in any cable, cable tray, compartment, enclosure, manhole, outlet box, device box, raceway, or similar fitting with conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non–power-limited fire alarm circuits, and medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits unless permitted by 725.136(B) through (I).
    - - (B) Separated by Barriers. Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be permitted to be installed together with the conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non–power-limited fire alarm and medium power network-powered broadband communications circuits where they are separated by a barrier. (Jerry's note: And that barrier is a grounded metal barrier separating the different systems, and is approved for use in that enclosure, raceway, etc., i.e., you cannot just cut a piece of sheet metal and say 'this is the barrier', it has to be manufacturer specific and for their equipment.)
    - - (C) through (I) do not apply to the question being asked.

Now where will you find where it specifically states "door bell transformers" are allowed anywhere, or disallowed anywhere. That is Class 2 wiring and must meet Class 2 wiring requirements.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

So, what's with this Jeff Eastman guy? No profile. He posts questions and then deletes them. What is the point?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Jerry,

Is the "class" of the circuit determined by the "use" or the "rating", for example could you run a AC's low-voltage control circuit in the same conduit as the power to compressor if it was run over 14AWG thwn?

Thanks

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Is the "class" of the circuit determined by the "use" or the "rating",
    "use"

for example could you run a AC's low-voltage control circuit in the same conduit as the power to compressor if it was run over 14AWG thwn?
    No.

They do make special cabling systems which use special boxes with separate compartments to terminate the different wiring into.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thomas
    Is the "class" of the circuit determined by the "use" or the "rating",

"use"

The type of "Power Supply" the wire is connected to is a more correct to describe it.

Wiring connected to the load side of a class 2 power source (most household transformers) is class 2 wiring. The wire, whatever size it is, is still class 2.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

john_opwin Guest

Low voltage disconnect switch remove dead batteries by automatically cut off non-critical loads from a battery when the battery falls below a predefined threshold.

John
    I don't understand what you are describing.
    Could you rephrase it?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by john_opwin View Post
    Low voltage disconnect switch remove dead batteries by automatically cut off non-critical loads from a battery when the battery falls below a predefined threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by john_opwin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    John
    I don't understand what you are describing.
    Could you rephrase it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    I have no idea what he is saying either, and being as he is located somewhere in the "us", that is of a great benefit to all. And then Ken has his location as "USA", which does not help much either.

To be helpful, it is best to have your location, which let's us know more about where you are, and allows us to take that information into account with your answers, which is why it also helps for questions. Heck, might as well say "Planet Earth", does as much good.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

OK Jerry, just for you I changed my location:

To Planet Earth as you suggested I do

My location has zero bearing on a persons ability to post a comment / question in an understandable manner.

A specific location often helps in determining a potential source for a problem. Or even understanding what the person is trying to describe.

Posters who offer the solution of looking in the basement for the water meter have me scratching my head since all water meters are located in the front yard next to the street and only 1 in 100 homes have a basement. Oil burners are old cars with worn engines. Swamp coolers are what keeps you beer cold while fishing in low country of Ga, Fla and Lousiana. Ice dams only happen inside the freezer when someone does not close the door. Everything is made of Southern Yellow Pine while Douglas Fir and Redwood is something those goofy West Coast people drone on about. The only unions I ever deal with are the ones the plumber forgets to put in over the water heater.

Locations help us to understand your point of reference.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Locations help us to understand your point of reference.
    Well put, Bruce. Raleigh is where they make the cigarettes, eh?
    My guess is Ken H. roots for the Red Sox and the Celtics.

Last edited by John Kogel; 01-05-2010 at 04:21 PM.