Default Service weather head

Shouldn't there be a weather head at the pole?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Question Re: Service weather head

I would think so that there should be a weatherhead. This is something that I do see all the time though. Did the pvc go into the meter base or did it lead down and go underground from there?

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Default Re: Service weather head

in ground and then up to meter base. But I would think given enough time, glugglugglug

James Duffin Guest

Around here the power companies do not follow the NEC so if that pipe belonged to the power company it would be ok as far as legal goes. It looks like the pipe is being used as protection from physical damage where the wires goes down the pole so getting water in the pipe would not really matter.

Last edited by James Duffin; 07-23-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Around here the power companies do not follow the NEC so if that pipe belonged to the power company it would be ok as far as legal goes. It looks like the pipe is being used as protection from physical damage where the wires goes down the pole so getting water in the pipe would not really matter.
    I think you mean it wouldn't matter so long as rain water can drain out the bottom?
    Maybe the upper end is sealed with putty. Like others have said, it is not a home owner's responsibility.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

James Duffin Guest

I have not seen the power company seal a conduit used for protection so that option never crossed my mind.

All fine and good but to protect my client I have to assume that at some point in time water buildup in the pipe could cause overflow into the panel.
    Over cautious, maybe
    But is it so hard or expensive to put a 90 % on the end. JEEZ??

The PVC is likely just a sleeve for protection from physical damage, it would be required to be Schedule 80 from at least 18" below ground to at least 8' above ground or to the first enclosure, and being as there is no enclosure, the Schedule 80 would need to go to at least 8' above ground. For ease of installation (so as to not install the wrong pipe in the wrong location) the PVC is likely all Schedule 80 to the top.

The PVC should, however, need to have a bushing installed at the top so the top of the PVC does not damage the conductor insulation.

With the Schedule 80 PVC going at least 18" below grade, and not required to extend more than 18" below grade, and with the conductors possibly being direct burial rated, the PVC could stop at 18" below grade, the conductors continue down deeper to their required depth below grade (probably 18" deep, but maybe 24" deep).

As such, there is no need to worry about the PVC filling with rainwater, filling a lateral raceway (likely is none), and then going up the riser to the service equipment. This would be because there may not be any raceway connecting the PVC at the pole to the PVC at the house (if direct burial conductors are used, all that is required is to protect them from physical damage from 18" below grade to 8' above grade or to the first enclosure).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

I would check that pole at ground level to see if it is rotten. That pole looks like an old dried out creosote pole. I also doubt that conduit runs all the way to the panel. I most likely stops about 2' in the ground and changes to direct burial.

Lou Romano Guest

The power company Florida Power & Light (FPL) here in Miami used to do this but they supplied a vented fitting that had to be installed at the bottom of the pole so the water would not pump into the meter. They stopped doing it this way years ago and now have the pipe stop at the base of the pole and they sleeve the wiring from that point up the pole with a "U" shaped channel. They never used weatherheads unless the service is customer owned. Then it has to meet code.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Romano View Post
    They stopped doing it this way years ago and now have the pipe stop at the base of the pole and they sleeve the wiring from that point up the pole with a "U" shaped channel.
    I was surprised to see that was PVC and not the 'U' channel you describe as its only purpose is for protection from physical damage.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com