Default Replacing Advanta Credit Card

Just got an e-mail from Advanta, they are leaving the credit card business, no charges will be accepted after May 30, which means that I need to replace the Advanta card.

I have an excellent credit rating, any suggestions about replacement vendors?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Replacing Advanta Credit Card

I go through Costco for my merchant servcies and their rates are unbeatable. Something like 30 cents a transaction and 1.8% of the charge. I know it's a good deal because whenever I phone solicitations and tell them I'm with Costco they pretty much just hang up.

I'm still using an old version of it that has to run through a specific computer (software program on the computer). All of their new stuff is web based so you can access it from anywhere. I also have seen a lot of new very portable 'swipe' machines that print out receipts on the spot. The last time I looked I think Costco was giving them away with new accounts.

I'm going to update my stuff soon but just haven't got around to it since my old stuff still works pretty well.

I have Costco as well. I switched to them about two years ago and I have been happy. I just wish they would come out with a Costco Charge app for the iPhone.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I have Costco as well. I switched to them about two years ago and I have been happy. I just wish they would come out with a Costco Charge app for the iPhone.

I used to think taking credit cards was a necessary evil. I stopped a long time ago and found that it was absolutely not necessary at all and have saved a ton of money by not taking them.

I have maybe 1 in 20 or 30 folks ask if I take credit cards. Payment is never even mentioned until I book the inspection. Once I say no and say personal check, money order, bank check or cash, half just pay in cash and the rest in a personal check. Never ever a problem. I like cash!!!

Just wondering how many folks still take credit cards and why. There seems (on my end) absolutely no need what so ever for the extra expense.

Ted,

I'm one of those who couldn't imagine not taking charge cards.

90% of my business is on cards. When the client books the inspection I asked them what type of payment would they care to use.

Nearly all want to use a card. I charge the card as soon as I book the appt. and I explain to them that I do so. It is a way to assure the appt. is on schedule. If the appt. falls through for some reason other than on my end, I do not offer any type of refund. I explain that the time lossed is not my fault and I can't afford to run all over town and not be compensated. Never have had one complaint.

The few checks I have taken over the years have not gone through the banks or clients who walk the deal think for some reason they can just cancel my check since their not buying the home. That just does not happen anymore.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Ted,

I'm one of those who couldn't imagine not taking charge cards.

90% of my business is on cards. When the client books the inspection I asked them what type of payment would they care to use.

Nearly all want to use a card. I charge the card as soon as I book the appt. and I explain to them that I do so. It is a way to assure the appt. is on schedule. If the appt. falls through for some reason other than on my end, I do not offer any type of refund. I explain that the time lossed is not my fault and I can't afford to run all over town and not be compensated. Never have had one complaint.

The few checks I have taken over the years have not gone through the banks or clients who walk the deal think for some reason they can just cancel my check since their not buying the home. That just does not happen anymore.

rick
    Now that is astonishing. I will use the past five years in TX as an example. I have had one bounced check that was immediately replaced with cash in all the inspections I have done since I got here.

I have already booked the inspection before payment even comes up. OOps, just remembered there was one more. The only reason that did not cash out was the teller did not read the overdraft she had on the account.

Seriously almost no one asks me about credit cards. I only take local bank personal checks, BOA, Chase, Wells Fargo etc. No USAA, American Airlines etc etc or some East overshoe bank.

Out of town buyers is one of the main reasons we started taking cards. It's just too much of a pain to chase down checks and people who are supposed to have written to you.

Given a choice I'll always take a check or cash to avoid the merchant fee but I'm glad I have the ability to take them.

Matt,

Is there a monthly fee through Costco?

I recently dumped my merchant account. They jacked up their monthly fees and raised their rates so I bailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Matt,

Is there a monthly fee through Costco?

I recently dumped my merchant account. They jacked up their monthly fees and raised their rates so I bailed.
    This thread just got me wondering so I grabbed my last statement... no monthly fee (other than having to be a Costco executive member) - 27 cents per transaction and 1.99% on what's charged.

It's not too bad... a $350 inspection costs $7.25. Their fees might be higher or lower with newer programs... as I mentioned, mine is somewhat ancient. About two years ago when I called in for something they were days away from stopping support for the program I have. Luckily, I haven't had to call for anything lately because I think I'd be SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    This thread just got me wondering so I grabbed my last statement... no monthly fee (other than having to be a Costco executive member) - 27 cents per transaction and 1.99% on what's charged.

It's not too bad... a $350 inspection costs $7.25. Their fees might be higher or lower with newer programs... as I mentioned, mine is somewhat ancient. About two years ago when I called in for something they were days away from stopping support for the program I have. Luckily, I haven't had to call for anything lately because I think I'd be SOL.
    COSTCO does have a monthly fee in a roundabout way. It is $20 but it is offset by the fees that you are charged. So if you only have $10 in fees you will charged $10 for that month. But if you have over $20 in fees you are not charged any additional statement type fee that is so common with charge cards.

You can also get setup to take checks electronically with COSTCO. You just input the check information and it is deposited into your account without going to the bank. I think this runs around 50 cents a check.

Don't forget that those charge card fees are also 100% deductible as a business expense.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 05-27-2009 at 07:07 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

BTW, a was asking about a card FOR the business - I take CC payments via PayPal only.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    BTW, a was asking about a card FOR the business - I take CC payments via PayPal only.
    Gotcha! I use the American Express Open from COSTCO card for any business expense, from gas to printer ink. I think last year I got right at $400 in rebate dollars.

It has no annual fee as long as you are an Executive member at Costco.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Matt and Scott,

Thanks.......

I too only take credit card payments via PayPal.

I have good credit too. For personal business, Capitol One has the best deal for me. My credit union can't even match them.

For all the years I ran our company we never took credit cards. Cash, check or MO payable at the inspection. Never had more than one or two a year that did not pay, (they also did not get their reports) and we very rarely had bounced checks.

Jill Hickman Guest

I tried to get cards for our company after I received this notice. US Bank wanted FOUR to SIX weeks!!! Advanta’s conduct is deplorable. They’re punishing the few businesses managing to stay afloat by pulling the rug out from under us.

I found Comdata and they’ll be sending us cards next week. I’ll have feedback in another week or so. I’d be interested to know what others are using.

Ours was $75 to set up but there's no annual fees or interest and we get discounts on fuel and maintenance. They said we could get the cards in a week which makes a HUGE difference under this crunch.

Advanta is ridiculous.

I have had maybe 4 bounced checks in 20 years.
    I take credit cards for the out of State/area clients that are not going to be there. I got tired of waiting for payment, or chasing them down. It ended all the payment problems. Small price to pay.

I tell my in town clients that I will take credit cards, but frankly it costs me money to do so. Almost all of them decide to write me a check instead when they get it.

I know for a fact that I have gotten some jobs only because I took credit cards. I guess they were strapped for cash.