Default What is the indication?

12 yrs old TH with basement at front & ground level garage at the back. The HW tank is in the garage closet. Yes it is a rat trap. But why is there so much dust sand? The seller told me it was there since they moved in 12 yrs ago.

It was unlikely the ant damage for that much. Was that all from rat? Thank you.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: What is the indication?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    12 yrs old TH with basement at front & ground level garage at the back. The HW tank is in the garage closet. Yes it is a rat trap. But why is there so much dust sand? The seller told me it was there since they moved in 12 yrs ago.

It was unlikely the ant damage for that much. Was that all from rat? Thank you.
    12 years and the HO/occupants never swept out the garage utility room closet. Dang, that's an admission, "that's inherited mess" , sheesh!

Who knows what it is? you were there...perhaps former owners had a cat box there, stored litter material, a bag of sand or "oil dry" to absorb drips/leaks on the garage floor? Amazing the occupants claim the mess was there when they moved in and they've been to lazy to ever sweep it up (would believe that explanation anyway, even if it were true).

Garage door open wind driving more over the years under the door.

Poor housekeepers and you're blaming a rodent for the dust/sand? nothing in the pictures indicates rodent activity.

Sweep it from the corner and investigate...The expanding foam insulation doesn't evidence 12 yrs age.

Foundation issues perhaps, perking sand/water in/up; flooded garage perhaps; your area have sandy soils? use sand base for slabs? or has it required crushed stone base? Bags of sand for paver project formerly stored in garage? Your area sand the roads/highways when/if ice glazed instead of using salt prep? Perhaps the occupants spend a lot of time at the marina/shore/beach and track the sand in along with the vehicle.

Takes to an extreme not to sweep some out from the corner and look, its dust/sand/debris for cripes sake, against a foundation wall and a separtion wall check it out, geeze.

Why isn't the WH elevated to keep the burner at least 18" above the garage floor?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-02-2013 at 10:37 PM.

that spray foam looks fairly fresh. I would have been taking a good look at the sill plate. Looks like they were trying to stop something from coming in. I have seen Ants bring a lot of sand in, but it would be in piles where it sifted through the gaps in the sill plate. leaving sand like that for 12 years? how old was the water heater. owners honesty is in question.

Thanks, The HW tank is in the garage closet. No UV, I do not think the spray foam applied recently.