Default egress window question

I have an open finished basement in which I am adding a bedroom/bathroom. There are 4 egress windows in the basement. Where I am adding the bedroom there is an egress window that would technically be in the bathroom area but open to the bedroom. No doors, no framed doorway, just an arched like opening between the two areas. Is this okay? Would it be up to code? what can go in front of the window? does it have to be vacant space there? I was hoping to put a freestanding tub in front of it but think that defeats the purpose of egress. the home is in Firestone Colorado in Weld County in case that is needed information. There is no other egress window in that part of the basement so hoping this meets code
    I have reached out to the city and county about this and have received no response sadly so hoping I can get answers here.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: egress window question

Needs to be direct access from the bedroom (not the bathroom) to the outdoors and to a public way or a yard or court which leads to a public way.

Nothing in front of the window either.

Then there is the window well on the outside of the basement wall to get from the window up and away from the house.

Think of it this way: would you want to find the charred remains of your daughter in that bedroom? Kinda putting it bluntly, but sometimes it takes thinking bluntly to not try to find ways around MINIMUM code requirements.

I always describe building codes this way: codes are the most unsafe one is legally allowed to build.

Codes do not address how much "safety" is required, codes only address "the most unsafe" ways allowed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Red face Re: egress window question

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Needs to be direct access from the bedroom (not the bathroom) to the outdoors and to a public way or a yard or court which leads to a public way.

Nothing in front of the window either.

Then there is the window well on the outside of the basement wall to get from the window up and away from the house.

Think of it this way: would you want to find the charred remains of your daughter in that bedroom? Kinda putting it bluntly, but sometimes it takes thinking bluntly to not try to find ways around MINIMUM code requirements.

I always describe building codes this way: codes are the most unsafe one is legally allowed to build.

Codes do not address how much "safety" is required, codes only address "the most unsafe" ways allowed.

Hi Jerry, I appreciate bluntness trust me. I wasn't meaning to imply there would not be access to an egress. I just wasn't sure if the rooms were actually 1 room would it serve as the egress for a sleeping/bedroom area. But your response did bring another point up, I absolutely cant have anything in front of that egress window since it could block or slow access to it. This changes everything in my mind. I shall instead switch the rooms around and use that part of the basement as the bedroom and put the bathroom next to it. I appreciate your response. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Carol j Bleyer View Post
    Hi Jerry, I appreciate bluntness trust me. I wasn't meaning to imply there would not be access to an egress. I just wasn't sure if the rooms were actually 1 room would it serve as the egress for a sleeping/bedroom area. But your response did bring another point up, I absolutely cant have anything in front of that egress window since it could block or slow access to it. This changes everything in my mind. I shall instead switch the rooms around and use that part of the basement as the bedroom and put the bathroom next to it. I appreciate your response. Thank you!

One other question- the other egress is a door. Its actually 3 doors- is that within code? Its a door at bottom of stairs, there when house was built, another at top of stairs, also there when built and a third 'barn door' that separates the upstairs from the basement allowing more privacy for the tenant that will live in the basement. Is that okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Carol j Bleyer View Post
    One other question- the other egress is a door. Its actually 3 doors- is that within code? Its a door at bottom of stairs, there when house was built, another at top of stairs, also there when built and a third 'barn door' that separates the upstairs from the basement allowing more privacy for the tenant that will live in the basement. Is that okay?
    You will be taking on a lot of liability for the tenant when renting out the basement - I know, many people do it, but when ... not if, "when" ... when something happens to the tenant in the basement, then all kinds of questions may arise as to what and how you did the conversion and anything that does not meet, or is questionable to meet, code could become a big liability for you real quick.

Being as you will be renting out the basement as a basement apartment, you will need to provide full egress from the basement, and I didn't read any description of an egress door to the exterior from the basement, only through multple sets of doors up to the main house and then out - if I am reading that correctly, the tenant will be using your egress door, and thus your house, for their egress?

No egress door to the exterior from the basement? Or am I missing something?

You will be doing an alteration from a single-family dwelling to a two-family dwelling, which will require many things to be done.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    You will be doing an alteration from a single-family dwelling to a two-family dwelling, which will require many things to be done.
    Regarding the above: Read R302.3 in the IRC

- R302.3 Two-family dwellings. - - Dwelling units in two-family dwelling shall be separated from each other by wall and floor assemblies having not less than a 1-hour fire-resistance rating ... (blah, blah, blah, read it for details)

Your "dwelling unit" and your tenant's "dwelling unit" are to be two completely separate "dwellings", which brings in many issues that need to be addressed properly.

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IR...3_Ch03_SecR302

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com