Default Ice House Heater not firing...

Bit off topic but...This is a personal issue on my ice house heater. I have an older 7,000 BTU wall mount heater (LP). It has a standing pilot light. I installed it and the pilot light lit and stays lit. I cant get the main burner to ignite. I took the exchanger apart and tried lighting the unit outside of the heat exchanger so I could see everything first hand. I dont smell any gas odor when it is turned to the on position. My thoughts are something is stopping it from engaging the main gas supply valve. Would a higher pressure regulator (2 psi) stop the appliance from running. There is a label on the heater that states 1/2 psi. I think the regulator says 2 psi although I am not sure. It came off of a turkey fryer. The unit is at my friends house so cant be 100% positive on what pressure the supply is at this time. For some reason 2 psi sticks out in my recollection. If this is the case would the higher pressure going in stop the main gas valve from engaging?

I tried to talk to a couple of suppliers and anyone that deals with valves or heaters of this age are wholesalers and wont talk to retail customers. Maybe some of you that are more knowledgeable in this area would know... Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX
    "Get the Best of US before your new home gets the best of YOU!"

Default Re: Ice House Heater not firing...

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny Freng View Post
    Bit off topic but...This is a personal issue on my ice house heater. I have an older 7,000 BTU wall mount heater (LP). It has a standing pilot light. I installed it and the pilot light lit and stays lit. I cant get the main burner to ignite. I took the exchanger apart and tried lighting the unit outside of the heat exchanger so I could see everything first hand. I dont smell any gas odor when it is turned to the on position. My thoughts are something is stopping it from engaging the main gas supply valve. Would a higher pressure regulator (2 psi) stop the appliance from running. There is a label on the heater that states 1/2 psi. I think the regulator says 2 psi although I am not sure. It came off of a turkey fryer. The unit is at my friends house so cant be 100% positive on what pressure the supply is at this time. For some reason 2 psi sticks out in my recollection. If this is the case would the higher pressure going in stop the main gas valve from engaging?

I tried to talk to a couple of suppliers and anyone that deals with valves or heaters of this age are wholesalers and wont talk to retail customers. Maybe some of you that are more knowledgeable in this area would know... Thanks!
    My bet would be on the regulator, not that I have ever seen an ice fishing house but that would be the most logical place to start. Trying banging "lightly" on it with a wrench or something like that. They are cheap to replace so I might just try a new one for the heck of it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

you have em in TN, they just dont go on ice, just drill a few holes in the bottom of a pontoon and you can have the same experience... almost.

I picked up a new regulator. Hopefully the one on there is a 2 psi and the new 1/2 psi will be the ticket. Thx Scott.

Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX

you have em in TN, they just dont go on ice, just drill a few holes in the bottom of a pontoon and you can have the same experience... almost.

I picked up a new regulator. Hopefully the one on there is a 2 psi and the new 1/2 psi will be the ticket. Thx Scott.
    Actually with the weather we have had over the past week, I bet you could put one of those little shacks on the ice in parts of TN. This morning on the way into town I went by a pond with cows walking across it! We suppose to stay below freezing for the next week or so.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I was wondering what the heck an ice house was, and why you would want a heater if you kept ice in it. Now I get it, and certainly see why you would want a heater.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

brave cows! might be a couple of cowsicles in there in the next month if they get too used to walking on the frozen pond. Kerplunk!

Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX

imported_John Smith Guest

In Texas an ice house is a beer joint. I can see the similarity between an ice house for fishing and a beer joint.

Only problem is we cant write our names in the snow.

brave cows! might be a couple of cowsicles in there in the next month if they get too used to walking on the frozen pond. Kerplunk!
    Well cows will keep you'all warm, but heck, they couldn't write ther names in snow if they tried.
    Unless they're all named KaPloppy.

John,

There is probably little fishing actually going on in those so called fishing ice houses. Bet you there is plenty beer drinking going on though.

We always called the 7-11 stores ice houses growing up. Always wondered why they are still are called 7-11's when they are open 24hrs. a day.

rick

Lanny, There's a safety shutoff for the main jet. Take your heater in to a pro shop and pay $90 or so to have it cleaned and checked. You've got fishin to do.

Rick, they pay 7 bucks an hour for an 11 hr week. Either that or the tellers are between the ages of 11 and 77. [:>)]

David Bell Guest

Standing pilot has a thermocouple that tells the valve it is safe to open, replace the thermocouple and make sure it is in the pilots flame.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    In Texas an ice house is a beer joint. I can see the similarity between an ice house for fishing and a beer joint.

Only problem is we cant write our names in the snow.
    I have been out of TX for so many years, I forgot about the ice houses. Good old Pearl or Lone Star was the beer of choice back then. Oh, and Shinner was a trash beer back then as well! Now Shinner is a "boutique" beer that cost as much as Becks in some places!

In TX cow ponds are called "tanks".....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,

Out in the country here they also call those cow ponds you mentioned "pools".

Its gonna be a hot one. Look at them cows in the pool.