Thread: $150 inspection

Default $150 inspection

I have an inspection today in Atlanta, 100+ miles away. Another inspector agreed to do it for $150. But you gotta take em when you can.

BTW my son is looking to buy a house, he lives in Atlanta The inspector my son called said he will do the inspection for $150.
    Actually if he had said $300 I most likely would have let him do the inspection, but $150.
    I asked about his qualifications, "He's a "CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR".
    I told him, I will be there about 11:00 Sunday, and it won't cost him anything.
    So actually I'm not even getting the $150.

I think someone figured out how to get a free inspection?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: $150 inspection

Rick,

Don't forget to send "Certified Master Inspector" his $50.00 referral fee ( or you could get an Angry Phone Call.)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I have an inspection today in Atlanta, 100+ miles away. Another inspector agreed to do it for $150. But you gotta take em when you can.

BTW my son is looking to buy a house, he lives in Atlanta The inspector my son called said he will do the inspection for $150.
    Actually if he had said $300 I most likely would have let him do the inspection, but $150.

That is great advertising for Nick. His certified master inspectors are inspecting for 150.00. Let me see, 2 a day at 150 times 5 days is 75,000.00 a year.

Makes one think sometimes. Yep, makes one think sometimes.

That would be about 12 hours a day, five days a week, times 50 weeks a year (need 2 weeks vaca) = about 25 dollars and hour.

60 hours a week (minimum) Besides the give away concern there is another problem. I do not know any of the 200 dollar inspectors around here that do 2 a day. The chep thing is not always condicive to increased business

And just how does one become a Certifed Master Inspector? I would think that it would take years of experience, training, knowledge, apprenticeship, peer reviews, testing and mentoring to gain a "Master" level in any profession or trade.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    And just how does one become a Certifed Master Inspector? I would think that it would take years of experience, training, knowledge, apprenticeship, peer reviews, testing and mentoring to gain a "Master" level in any profession or trade.

Actually scott not true.

As far as our education system in any college you get your associates, bachelors, masters or PHD just from class and testing. You need no field work (in some cases)

I am not claiming to know about the certified master inspector courses and testing but I do believe that courses in each study must be taken and proctored tests. It is a bit extensive and easy to look up online.

Hi all
    Just got back in. 276 miles round trip.
    Rained hard both ways.

Billy thats a good one.

"And just how does one become a Certifed Master Inspector? "
    Scott
    Your being modest, you could be a CMI if you would just apply yourself, and send in $300.

I'll talk to you latter, it's nappy time now.

Wake me up when it's time to go to bed.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 04-05-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Billy thats a good one.

I'll talk to you latter, .
    Great,

Just call me at BR-549.

I'm looking for that US Postal Money Order.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

I heard that "BR 549" and "8675309" were the most commonly used password logins.

Steven Meyer Guest

Question Re: $150 inspection

You would drive 100 miles each way for $150.00??? Things that bad??? That's not even gas money!!!
    Think your son suckered dad into a freebe! But, what are dads for, I flew to Denver to do my sons inspection!!! His wife did made a good dinner with fine wine thou!!! "can I write this off as a loss on my income tax??? Or do I need to declare the dinner as income? opps, in keeping up with the current adminstration, I won't be paying any income tax!!!

Last edited by Steven Meyer; 04-06-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

I heard that "BR 549" and "8675309" were the most commonly used password logins.
    As I am sure you know

Jenny" is a song written by Alex Call and Jim Keller and performed by Tommy Tutone that was released on the album Tommy Tutone 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

As I am sure you know

Jenny" is a song written by Alex Call and Jim Keller and performed by Tommy Tutone that was released on the album Tommy Tutone 2
    Just How S-L-O-W is It Ted ?
    YouTube - The Statler Brothers: Flowers on The Wall.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 04-06-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: smiles change

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    J-u-s-t a l-i-t-t-le t-o-o-o-o-o- s---l---o---w

Bob Spermo Guest

Here are some results of an inspection conducted by a "licensed" inspector. He charged $150 for a 1900 sq ft home. He was there less than 2 hours. A couple of things he missed - 2 bathrooms and there were 0 receptacles. Attic access had a 12/2 wire running directly across it. Maybe the buyer should have paid just a little more to get a real inspection!

Hi all
    "And just how does one become a Certifed Master Inspector? "
    Scott
    Your being modest, you could be a CMI if you would just apply yourself, and send in $300.
    I believe a CMI is a NACHI inspector that has performed 500 paid-for inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I believe a CMI is a NACHI inspector that has performed 500 paid-for inspections.
    So does that mean that a person who becomes ASHI certified (after 250 inspections) is half a master?

I personally didn't feel comfortable until well after 1,000; but hey. if it floats your boat, it's all about the dead presidents.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    An email I received by a not so nice person sent me the CMI requirements:

1.Completing 1,000 fee-paid inspections or hours of inspection-related continuing education (combined) in their lifetime.

2.Proving they've been in the inspection business for at least 3 years.

3.Abiding by the industry's toughest Code of Ethics.

4.Substantially following a Board approved Standards of Practice.

5.Submitting to a criminal background check.

6.Applying for Board certification by signing the affidavit in front of a Notary.

It looks like a person would not even have to complete an inspection, just with CE one could become a CMI. In the profession for 3 years? This one is funny, in 3 years one is a master!

Not really what I would call stringent requirements for a Master designation. I also received another email that said for the first 6 months or so CMI had no requirements other than paying the fee and that about 100-130 CMI members received their designation this way.

Oh well........

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kevin Luce Guest

That's the problem with any HI organization, they don't make things difficult enough. Quantity seems like it always wins over quality.