Brian Thomas Guest

Default Just finished my training

Hello all, I just finished my training thru AHIT recently and am just getting started. I plan on getting the national exam out of the way while all this stuff is fresh. While I am studying for the exam, I will be doing several mock inspections on friends and families homes before I actually get out there. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Just finished my training

Quote Originally Posted by brian toftner View Post
    Hello all, I just finished my training thru AHIT recently and am just getting started. I plan on getting the national exam out of the way while all this stuff is fresh. While I am studying for the exam, I will be doing several mock inspections on friends and families homes before I actually get out there. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Brian - Welcome to the board!
    Unless the national exam has changed, be prepared for lots of code questions, even though "we don't do code inspections". And good luck!

Brian Thomas Guest

Thanks John! Thats funny though...we dont do "code inspections" yet the national exam is full of code questions. It is what it is I guess

Quote Originally Posted by brian toftner View Post
    Thanks John! Thats funny though...we dont do "code inspections" yet the national exam is full of code questions. It is what it is I guess
    Brian, the reason I put "we don't do code inspections" in quotes is that in reality we kind of do. You need to know a lot of code to know what to write up and why you are writing it up.

Actually, you are about to discover that your "training" is about to start - what they taught you in class is around 5% of the facts and around 0% of the experience and judgment needed to perform a competent inspection.

Of course, almost everyone here started from pretty much the same place.

This board (and a few others) are an invaluable resource - as you read through the posts here you are observing the knowledge and judgment resulting from hundreds of thousands of inspections and thousands of cumulatively years of inspector experience - you could do a lot worse than to do what I did at the start - read your through the board, take copious notes (on the computer, so you can footnote and cross reference) and research on the internet as you encounter material new to you.

If that seems like a lot of work... well... that's the EASY part! The hard part - especially in this market - is getting the inspections to let you put those skills to work.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

And don't forget the archive from the previous incarnation of Inspection News at
    InspectionNews.com - Home Inspection Home Inspector Inspection Report

Jerry Jackman Guest

Brian -

I finished my AHIT training a few months ago. I've passed the NHIE, the state Structural Pest Inspector Exam, ASHI Standards and Ethics (today), and I got a roofing certification. I am now ready to start marketing. I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the AHIT training as you move forward. I studied their book for the NHIE exam and ASHI's book for the NHIE exam. The ASHI book was overkill, but some of it worked for me. I am not sure if I could have passed the exam with just the AHIT book.

Let me know how you are doing from time to time. Jerry@JackmanInspects.com

Jerry Jackman

PS

This is a great site to lurk and learn.

Ron Bibler Guest

Brian before you get out on your own. go find an inspector in your area and ask him if you can do some ride alongs. I think this is a must for all starting out. After a week so you will start to get it.

Just call around and ask. you will also see how the work load is in your area by how many inspection that inspector is doing a week.

Dont sell your self out cheap. Sell your self as the best.

No low ball stuff. "you have not because you ask not"

Best to ya.

Ron

Welcome Ya'll! Hang on the ride can get wild! Oye!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Brian Thomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Jackman View Post
    Brian -

I finished my AHIT training a few months ago. I've passed the NHIE, the state Structural Pest Inspector Exam, ASHI Standards and Ethics (today), and I got a roofing certification. I am now ready to start marketing. I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the AHIT training as you move forward. I studied their book for the NHIE exam and ASHI's book for the NHIE exam. The ASHI book was overkill, but some of it worked for me. I am not sure if I could have passed the exam with just the AHIT book.

Let me know how you are doing from time to time. Jerry@JackmanInspects.com

Jerry Jackman

PS

This is a great site to lurk and learn.
    Thanks jerry,

I am currently studying the AHIT book. Its a green book in a spiral binder. Is that the same one you used jerry? I should consider getting the ASHI book too. My exam is slated for july 23rd

I enjoyed the training very much and thought the class was very helpful to me. My instructor was awesome and only have good things to say about the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Brian before you get out on your own. go find an inspector in your area and ask him if you can do some ride alongs. I think this is a must for all starting out. After a week so you will start to get it.

Just call around and ask. you will also see how the work load is in your area by how many inspection that inspector is doing a week.

Dont sell your self out cheap. Sell your self as the best.

No low ball stuff. "you have not because you ask not"

Best to ya.

Ron
    Thanks Ron,

I was fortunate enough to find an inspector in my area that was willing to help me out. I have been on one ride along so far but am hoping to get in a few more soon.

I have talked to other newbie inspectors in my area that were not so fortunate. One guy had to talk to 10 different inspectors before one would agree to talk and meet with him. The other guys must have been afraid of the potential competition and didnt want to help him out. My feeling is, if youre an established inspector and youre afraid of a newbie taking away your business, youre not a very good inspector.

Ron Bibler Guest

Brian thats a good way to look at things. and don't forget that when your phone rings some day. Some one took the time with me and I try to give back as much as I can. It will come back to you 10 times.

Best

Ron

Put your light on a tall post for all to see by.

Brian Thomas Guest

I couldnt agree with you more Ron.

Jerry Jackman Guest

Brian -

I have a copy of the ASHI exam study guide. I paid $100 for it. I'll sell it to you for $60 plus throw in the questions I typed up in Word.

Jerry Jackman

Cool Re: Just finished my training

Welcome Brian and be sure to ask lots of questions ansd assemble a good up-to-date building code library. Remember, 5 - 10 years from now give back some of what you have taken as some wise man once said "none of us are as smart as all of us."

Wow, another Jerry on board. I'll bet that sent a shudder of dread through some members of our group?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Ron Bibler Guest

Rick you was going to say something?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Wow, another Jerry on board. I'll bet that sent a shudder of dread through some members of our group?

Guess I've got to address my posts as WC Jerry and NWC Jerry?

(NWC does not stand for northwest coast, it stands for northwest corner. )

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Jackman View Post
    Brian -

I have a copy of the ASHI exam study guide. I paid $100 for it. I'll sell it to you for $60 plus throw in the questions I typed up in Word.

Jerry Jackman
    ASHI does not have an exam, they use the NHIE.

I bet the book you have it the one that Carson Dunlap put out a few years ago. Has several hundred generic questions with answers in it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Everyone assumes such Scott because the NHIE is the test that ASHI requires or did anyway.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Guess I've got to address my posts as WC Jerry and NWC Jerry?

(NWC does not stand for northwest coast, it stands for northwest corner. )
    Good grief. Brian had better not let any more people named Gunnar on. I'll be ticked!

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Good grief. Brian had better not let any more people named Gunnar on. I'll be ticked!
    I doubt that will happen