Thread: The Competition

Brad Borden Guest

Default The Competition

How is a home inspector done before the termite inspector ? On more than one occasion I have pulled up at the same time to do a CL-100 and the home inspector (Mr. El-Chepo) is pulling in behind me. I do my introduction to the home owner and agents, get my coveralls, do my interior and exterior inspection, write my report, write my invoice, and go over my findings with everyone and get my check. This takes about an hour. When I am walking out the door the home inspector is bringing in his computer generated report and says he is done. A normal home inspection takes me about 2-3 hours and about 45 minutes at home to type it up. I get paid about 50.00$ more than the competition but this guy has been doing inspections in the area for about 10 years. Is he missing allot or is he that good and can charge less because he is quicker.
    I called the agents later and let them know I also do home inspections.
    I got the business on one of the agents inspections and he said the extra time I spent and the detailed report was worth the extra 50.00$
    Am I spending to much time or is the competition cutting corners?

Inspection Referral

Default Re: The Competition

Find one of his reports, or point us to the link and let's find out.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Brad,

He is simply not doing his job. No way one can do a legitimate HI in (1) hr.

Don't worry he'll be out of business soon with those type of work ethics.

rick

Brad and Rick
    We like to think that the "El-Cheapo" will be out of business soon, but that is not always the way it is.
    For example:
    "this guy has been doing inspections in the area for about 10 years"

In my area, there is an inspector that does inspections for $175.00 in 30-45 minutes with an on site report. I know this because on one of the houses I sold, I was there when he inspected it. (Maybe, it took that long because I do such a terrific remodeling job, did not find anything. )
    Anyhow he's been around several years.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

We have a saying here in Texas, You stand close enough to the fire, you eventually get burnt.

This guy will fall in the fire one day.

rick

mitch buchanan Guest

Wink Re: The Competition

Most experienced imspectors in my area will take 2-3 hours for a "starter home" 3 bedroom, 11/2 bath 1200sf or so. Some more time to explain/show buyers problems/mechanicals, etc. On the other hand, we do have one area inspector that will take 5-6 hours on a home of this size! All the realtors, owners get pissed and ask me "what can this guy be doing"? I really don't know, but it's his "show". I don't think he's in business anymore - too much or too little of anything can be a bad for ones health.

Hey Mitch, who is the five or six hour guy? Hadn't heard of him yet.

Don't forget our own local $195 HI & Termite guy for anything up to 3,000 square feet. Been around a lot of years.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    Hey Mitch, who is the five or six hour guy? Hadn't heard of him yet.

Don't forget our own local $195 HI & Termite guy for anything up to 3,000 square feet. Been around a lot of years.
    We have a 2 hour inspector that does the , home, termite, foundation analysis, IR and something else, I cannot remember everything he throws in for 199.00

I did a home inspection today that only took 2 hours. The house should be leveled. I just did the roof, the exterior and the inside and so so much damage and so many items rotted and about to fall down, burn up, kill the occupants with sewer gas and Carbon monoxide or the house fall down around them from such extensive termite damage and feel like you are on a roller coaster walking in the home, and being able to start a catfish farm in the crawl and I am just getting started. If any home anywhere should be condemed this home should have been years ago. Mold throughout as well. The water heater in the closet in the master with no flue attached. The woman has been having headaches for ever and bleeding sinus.

Yes all that is true and like I said I am just getting started. 2 baths that vented to the crawl etc etc etc etc.

Now it will only take the evening to type up the report.

Clint White Guest

I just set a new personal record.

1600 s.f. built in 1950. Still occupied and the buyer was with me every step of the way. It took me almost 4 hours......and then to top it off, 4 + hours to complete my report. I felt like it would never end....

On average I can complete a home inspection in 2 - 3 hours and the report in 1-2 hours....I guess I am slow

I take at least 3 hours on site. I do a custom narrative report with pictures embedded for every inspection. The report, which is written back at the office, takes at least another 3 hours. Of course, this doesn't include travel and prep time and all that. I'll bet all told, I put an average of 8 hours into each job.

I make it clear to my clients that if they need further explanation on anything regarding the inspection or report, they should contact me right away. They have called back to hire me for other inspections, but so far, not to further explain anything from a previous job.

Maybe it's a personal thing. For me, if I don't think I've earned my pay by doing the best I possibly could for the client, I loose sleep, really. Am I perfect? Absolutley not. If I miss something, it's exactly that, I missed it. I never ignore anything intentionally.

The idea of becomming a home inspector was easy. The unknown part was understanding how it would effect me personally. I know that now.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clint White View Post
    I just set a new personal record.

1600 s.f. built in 1950. Still occupied and the buyer was with me every step of the way. It took me almost 4 hours......and then to top it off, 4 + hours to complete my report. I felt like it would never end....

On average I can complete a home inspection in 2 - 3 hours and the report in 1-2 hours....I guess I am slow

I just finished up my report from the second inspection yesterday. 2 hours to see everytning I had to and there was so much that it took a total of 4 hours for the report. I have never taken that long on a report for a home that size. The USDA wanted a condition report on this home to prove the folks could not sell it to anyone trying to obtain a loan. With a USDA loan you can not already own a residence. Special permission was given if they could supply proof of the condemable home.

If I had the athority I would have condemed the home and not just on paper. No one should live in those conditions.

The 2 hour inspection was 2 hours of pictures. Staight 2 hours of pictures, non stop.

Most of my report was just pictures with nothing left to the imagination and so many pictures many words were not needed.

USDA? Are you saying Department of Agrilculture?

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    USDA? Are you saying Department of Agrilculture?

rick
    Yep

Never heard of a loan to a private individual for such but I guess so.

John,

I am glad you are getting an understanding of the business. I suspect with the amount of time you are spending on each inspection that you are loosing money. If you plan on paying yourself $75 per hour make sure that you are charging enough to cover your time. On the other hand if you are charging what the market will bear then you need how to figure out how to be more efficient.

In our business it all about the details. People tend to remember what you miss rather than all the things you do catch. The trick is how to move efficiently through the home while capturing the all the information. We each have our techniques. Even after 5 years of inspections I still take about 4-5 hours on each job. Just make sure your actually making a profit on each job.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956