Default Cutler Hammer Breakers

Anyone have a reference of applications for Cutler Hammer breakers rated for installation in other manufacturer's panel (Specifically Murray)?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Roger Frazee Guest

Default Re: Cutler Hammer Breakers

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Morin View Post
    Anyone have a reference of applications for Cutler Hammer breakers rated for installation in other manufacturer's panel (Specifically Murray)?
    You don't say if type BR or CH ... anyway cutler hammer does make 'classified breakers' that are UL Listed to fit other panels including Murray. The final word though on whether they will be accepted rests with your AHJ.

select the pdf file 3rd from top on this link

http://store.platt.com/CutSheets/Eaton%20Distribution/Breakers-ClassifiedType.pdf

They're BR and that link had the answer...Thanks for the quick reply!

Unless the panel label states that those brands and types of breakers are approved to use in that particular panel , I would reject it.

Catch 22 - Breaker manufacture makes a breake rthat is "classified" to be used in panel brands X,Y or Z. BUT......
    Panels X, Y , or Z, has a label that states which breakers are allowed to be used in it and those "classified" breakers are not listed.
    Are those classified breakers allowed to be used ???

I say NO

Roger Frazee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    Unless the panel label states that those brands and types of breakers are approved to use in that particular panel , I would reject it.

Catch 22 - Breaker manufacture makes a breake rthat is "classified" to be used in panel brands X,Y or Z. BUT......
    Panels X, Y , or Z, has a label that states which breakers are allowed to be used in it and those "classified" breakers are not listed.
    Are those classified breakers allowed to be used ???

I say NO
    It's actually a very screwed up technical issue with the manufacturers. Siemens says there is really no code or listing issue between the panel labeling and classified breakers. There are several service bulletins from manufacturers that have purchased other electrical companies and acquired the rights to their product that state you can use their breakers in those panels from the purchased company .. it just depends and really is only an issue when your looking at a panel that is obsolete or no longer has breakers easily available.

I do not endorse classified breakers as I can usually find the breaker I need for just about any panel. However in a pinch I wouldn't lose any sleep installing a classified breaker in a panel for which it is listed. I wouldn't however fill an entire panel with them and have never came across a situation where that was needed.

Some inspectors don't like them and will turn them down but it is very rare.

What I can't live with is for example .. a GE panel that has a mix of cutler hammer br and square d homeline etc throughout the panel because they .. ' fit '.. Maybe even some cutler hammer br non ctl tandems. There is no need for this as GE breakers are available just about everywhere.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I realize this is rather tardy, however...

There are several issues/lists that must be cross referenced.

1. The appropriate original cat. no. of the listed breaker you're looking to substitute "replace" (the Murray listed breaker list in the original panel) for a classified (cutler Hammer/eaton) CL or a CHQ breaker with.

I've attached the eaton material list for same. Its a pain to use as it is set up as a fourpage fold document - but its there for your perusal.

2. The UL Classified breakers are ONLY classified to be used in SPECIFIC panelboards, enclosed panelboards, or Meter Center enclosures as per their Classified, tested, approved "LIST". (classified not only as to specific replacement of specific breakers but only classified/tested in specific catalog numbered original manufacturer's UL Listed panelboards, enclosed panelboards, and meter centers).

Most forget about #2 above, I've attached the Eaton CL/CHQ list below.

The problems with the above 1 & 2, and are similar problems with all "classified" is the "liberties" taken in the designation of the original manufactured breakers and panelboards, enclosed panelboards, and meter centers regarding the official, at the time of manufacturer and listing product cards at the time of manufcture's DESIGNATIONS.

Missing space holders skipping space holders (alpha or numeric) which were specific at the time - and pertain to varying changes in the product standards for both the boards and the circuit breakers the classified's seek to replace. When manufacturer's change their nomenclature and methods of identifying - especially as distinctions between legacy, discontinued products vs. newer "editions" there are oftentimes distinctions with significant differences in the specifications of the products as well as the testing and manufacturing standards of the time.

For a classified modern day manufactured breaker to meet the function/heat/short circuit/continuous, etc. it is specified by exact panelboard designation - and approved/classified only to those specific exact panelboards vintage, catalog number, design number, standard edition number.

Most classified breaker mfgs seem to play fast and loose with how they identify, so as to IMPLY they are universally classified to replace the designated breaker in ANY installation/application - they are NOT.

Replacement only of existing in specific listed panels.

Limited to panels of ampacity limitations,

Limited to split single phase 3-wire 120/240 supply.

and not series rated installations.

Not "upgrading" additional features such as GFCI or AFCI where there was not previous OEM listing or testing of same - UNLESS so specifically listed as a part of the classification and testing upon those older panels (panels for which there was no listed breaker of that type at the tme of manufacture, and the mfgr never later had panel evaulated for same). None (CL or CHQ) have ever been AFAIK, AFCIs (both types) generate heat constantly, an issue in older enclosed panelboards with smaller wiring spaces, air circulation, plastics, mounting types, spaces between breakers, etc..

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-19-2011 at 10:45 AM.