Default Main Gas pipe to Water heater

Is this thin and soft cooper gas pipe for hot water tank acceptable? I recommend to replace it with 1" solid cast iron gas pipe.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Terry Choi; 06-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Main Gas pipe to Water heater

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Choi View Post
    Is this acceptable by the Code?
    Is what acceptable by the code?

The amount of support for the copper tubing?

The use of copper tubing to supply natural gas or propane to an appliance?

The use of brass fittings?

The use of those specific brass fittings?

And just which code are we considering anyway?

Garry Blankenship Guest

Your photo copper gas line has no supports at all. Without knowing the mechanical code specifics I'm confident that is not code compliant and sufficiant to recommend licensed evaluation. I am unsure how close that that gas shut-off is or must be by code to the appliance, but that can also be verified in the same evaluation.

Hello. You need to specify what you are asking.
    "Are these gas fittings at the junction of the soft copper line with the brass shutoff valves accepted by the Ontario Gas Fitters Code? Or the Canadian Gas Code branch of the CSA? Or the Toronto Gas Fitters Union?"

Then you need to post a pic of the fittings and hope somebody here can answer the question without commenting on the lack of drywall, position of your clipboard, etc.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Is this thin and soft cooper gas pipe for hot water tank acceptable? I recommend to replace it with 1" solid cast iron gas pipe.

Why 1"?

Why "cast iron"

If you don't know what is required or what it is called, why are you specifying?

It is acceptable done that way in my area. At least, it is often done and blessed by the local authority.

The term you are looking for is "black steel". The size depends on the requirements of the appliance. Even for natural gas, small diameter copper is not uncommon for a gas water heater.

www.allsafehome.ca

It needs to be reworked back before the drop for the furnace, at least.

I was wondering when the "cast iron" comment would be caught.

I'm not harping on Terri - I've been known to write some off the wall stuff - even when I knew better.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    I was wondering when the "cast iron" comment would be caught.

I'm not harping on Terri - I've been known to write some off the wall stuff - even when I knew better.
    Well, I think the terminology confusion arises because in the trade it's known as "iron pipe" even though it's technically a "steel pipe." Then you have DWV pipes and fittings made from "cast iron" and if you're not careful you end up thinking the two are the same thing.

Cool Re: Main Gas pipe to Water heater

The acceptability of copper tubing for gas is the same on either side of the border: it is approved as long as there is less than 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulphide per std. 100 cubic feet. The gas code, whether in the US or Canada specifies approved materials. No offense to the OP but it sounds like you need to do some reading in the codes before you call things out without basis. While not doing a 'code' inspection, you do need something to hang your hat on. In Canada, you can also contact TSSA for more info. Also, local jurisdictions may have ordinances that apply as well.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Zibby Bujno Guest

1" solid cast iron? you mean black pipe? and why 1"
    Is it propane or ng? whats the longest run on the system?
    Looking at the pictures, its hard to tell is coper is undersized. What size is it?

Series gas-fitting must be sized so that no appliance is 'starved' for proper gas-flow as per its rating should it, and "they" run at full rated (or derated) demand.Sizing gas pipe in a series installation works backwards from the appliance back to the supply and takes into consideration all legs/outlets (demand, pressure, etc.) inbetween.It is not so much which selection of approved materials, but proper sizing and configuration of same.The pictured needs to be reworked. It is not unreasonble nor uncommon for both the WH and the gas furnace to fire at the same time, neither appliance may be installed so as to "starve" the other for an adequate supply of gas fuel. Both appliances, I might add, are designed and approved to be automatic in their call to function, (hands off) in their control and use, i.e. unattended.

Start with the max ratings for each appliance. Distance, volume, pressure, and work back to the supply (considering any intervening outlets in series).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    OK I am not in my office to look it up but it does need at least support every 6 feet. If it is K Copper I would say every 4 feet as it changes/size. If it is soft I can't tell you what would be needed oh and I should add that it is rot iron not cast iron.
    Thanks, Kevin, but did you say "wrought iron"?

www.allsafehome.ca