Default Furnace Flue Identification

Here are a couple of photos of a furnace flue in a 65 yr. old single residence. Can anyone identify what I've got here? My first thought was a standard B-vent, but then I saw the insulating material at the lower end, possibly asbestos. The design of the top cap is doing a poor job of keeping rain out, and there is a lot of rust staining, and some significant corrosion in the single wall below the bottom end. Thoughts and comments?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Furnace Flue Identification

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chambers View Post
    Here are a couple of photos of a furnace flue in a 65 yr. old single residence. Can anyone identify what I've got here? My first thought was a standard B-vent, but then I saw the insulating material at the lower end, possibly asbestos. The design of the top cap is doing a poor job of keeping rain out, and there is a lot of rust staining, and some significant corrosion in the single wall below the bottom end. Thoughts and comments?
    A D&H condition of a butchered (and aged) factory (manufactured) chimney (system) improperly connected (transitioned) to SW fuel burning appliance(s) connector (manifold?).

Can't recall things as I used to, thinking pre class A insulated double or triple wall similar stuff for mfg fireplaces mid-cent mod thru early 70s. tabs supposed to be inside looking familar,can't place it with the irradiated ever increasing necrosis in the noggin. "Zero" was and is never "zero" clearance even super-chimney systems.

As you know, SW connectors require extensive clearances air space & from combustibles (floor/ceiling joists? pictured); transitions/connectors to d manufactured chimney systems require following the (of the time) manufacturer's directions.

I know I knew this, I recognize the termination but I can't place it. Sry. Bet Hearthman (Bob Harper) or Dale F. can name it in a heartbeat.

What is and was the Fuel source for the "furnace" (for example, now Cat. I Gas and was formerly Wood, Pellet, corn cobs, Coal, Oil, perhaps?)? How is dometic hot water produced? If fired, how vented?

Where is the SW located (attic? basement? unfinished but occupied living (floor) space? garage?)?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-16-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Default Re: Furnace Flue Identification

Thanks H. G. This flue is serving an 11 yr. old, 80% efficient, 75,000 BTU forced air furnace and a 16 yr. old 40 gal. water heater, both burning natural gas, and both located in a partially finished basement. I should have mentioned that in my original post.